Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A rebuild......In over my head.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Appletree, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Hello everyone. My name is Chris and I've had a acct since 2013, I've got on here for some research or hard to find answers to the many ,many, many questions I've asked myself since I drove to Valdosta Georgia to get that ol' rust bucket, but unfortunately haven't posted or commented on anything. Of course entirely my fault, but I have good reason, I hope........ I always dreamed of one day having a old hot rod I could call my own. On May 5th 2013 it became a reality. Well, kinda. DSCN0867.JPG DSCN2106.JPG

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  2. And away you go!

3. Doesn't look too bad. My project is also my first. In my experience, do your research, be brave and jump in. Many things on my project are the first time for me and I haven't messed anything up too bad yet. Go for it!

4. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

When I first started researching methods for removing rust without damaging existing metal,m I can across the "The ol' Molasses trick..... It actually works! Well , it will only get for a few months( As long as you don't let rain water get into it),but you would be surprised at how well it stops rust.

Attached Files:

Chucky likes this.

5. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

looks like a good start ,please keep us updated on your progress .

6. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Oh, and if anyone wants to try it. Its 1 gallon of molasses to 10 gallons of water. Your local feed store should have all the molasses you should need.You really don't need the "store" stuff , which is for human consumption. Plus it would cost too much , especially if you have a 100 gallon tank like I did.

7. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

This is from the jig I made of the frame. I had a second hand millermatic tig and no idea what I was doing.....Adjust-ability is key and not to make it too tall.(my first mistake)

Attached Files:

8. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Looks good to me.I reckon you are doing fine.What are you going to use for an engine?

9. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

IMG_1347.JPG
    I welded up the cracks on the front cross member and was going to reuse it, but changed my mind a little later. Of course after I welded it all in.....

Attached Files:

10. Looks like a good start. Mine was in worst shape being a NE car but we are gaining each week. What is your build plan?

11. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

I actually have a Ford 4.6 mod motor out of a Mercury Grand Marquis. I did all the machine work on it myself. Bored it over .020, new piston and rings. Trying to put it back all stock. I'am not worried about going fast or sounding loud. I think the fact that a 85 year old car on the road going to shows speaks loud enough for me.

12. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Thank you Sir. Well got the fuel injected 4.6 mod motor. Dropped straight axle in the front. Took a 8.8 rear out of a junked explorer. Installing rear coil overs. Putting disc brakes all around. Still hashing out ride height for her, so really just have the stance in my head.

13. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

IMG_1446.JPG IMG_1612.JPG
    IMG_1715.JPG
    Yes Sir , Will do

Attached Files:

Jeff34 likes this.
  14. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Thank. And your absolutely right, be brave and jump right in! I think you learn more that way. It may cost you a little more at times, but you gain the knowledge. And good luck

15. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

2016-02-15 10.05.45.jpg File Feb 14, 9 45 22 AM.jpeg

File Feb 14, 9 47 37 AM.jpeg
    Trying to get the body somewhat back together. Got to finish the rolling chassis too.

Attached Files:

justin23 likes this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's only metal. Cut it, hammer it, weld it, grind it and if looks like ass cut it off and try it again. Like Appletree ^^^ said, be brave and fire up the tools. Ill enjoy watching the fruits of your efforts. Above all have fun, what's the point if this is not fun.

17. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Thank you Sir, and ROGER that!

18. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

yep your DAD is doing good -- luck have fun it will be a COOL ride ;) :D :cool:

19. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you wouldnt happen to be a fire sprinkler fitter, would you?

too many fords likes this.
  20. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Contemplating if I should buy the "Body Mounting Wood Blocks"..... Read a thread where someone just used heavy wall pipe segments where your mounting bolts go and weld some flat bar underneath. Not a bad Idea. Definite rigidity!

21. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Thank you Sir. Brick by Brick

22. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

No Sir. Actually a CNC Programmer. I work for Circle D Specialties I'am the CNC Department manager.

23. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

24. About the same with fuel lines and radiator support rods

• Where are you over your head?
    • Looks great to me

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see no similarity at all sir. Fuel lines and support rods are highly technical installations requiring much forethought, engineering and bull shit. LMAO.

26. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

I appreciate that. I guess I really just felt that way when I first got her.

27. mike bowling

mike bowling

GREAT START!! Lots of Model A info on here. ( and verbal abuse)
    Body looks pretty darn nice. New sub frame is expensive but the way to fly; start with a good foundation. And a good solid table to work on; you be doin' GOOD!
    -Watching from the side lines!

Attached Files:

28. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Your doing Great, Keep going!!!!!