Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Speedster Comes Out of the Weeds—Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClarkH, Dec 25, 2015.

1. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Very cool project! Always watching and waiting for updates.

ClarkH likes this.
  2. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Not sure how these will come through... they are jpg's so you should be able to save them to your computer and manipulate them with picture programs. As discussed, from pages 52 and 53 of the Jan. 69 edition of Hot Rod. You will note that this one was dropped and had the cycle fenders. 0 to 60 with the Fronty equipped Model T was an extremely impressive 20.2 seconds. Whoever drove that thing to a top speed of 82 mph (with 2 spd rear) with stock T steering and 20's era brakes had a death wish!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  3. lostmind

lostmind

Clark , I just found your thread. Great job so far. I admire your learn as you go attitude.
    Keep up the good work , listen to he wife!

ClarkH and volvobrynk like this.
  4. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

whtbaron, Thanks for the post !!! Great Article................. Jeff

whtbaron likes this.
  5. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is very cool. Thanks for taking the time to scan and post that article, whtbaron. I really enjoyed it.

whtbaron likes this.
  6. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

As an insignificant aside, that was the very first rod magazine I ever purchased. I was 11 years old and must have read it a million times. I guess if I still remembered what was in it, it must have made an impression on me.

7. Great article! Thanks or posting it.

whtbaron likes this.
  8. Rathbone

Rathbone

Anything green with yellow wheels makes me think the owner is a John Deere fanatic.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

According to Johnny cash there is 40 shades of green, according to my wife there is 50 shades of grey. ;):eek:
    There is always a ligther shade of pale, or a lighter shade of yellow in this case.
    And before it all fades too black, it should be possible to make it look nicer then a Deer on the run, pun intended. :D

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  10. loudbang

loudbang

You are one heck of a scribe to come up with that one. :p

ClarkH, tb33anda3rd, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  11. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Fantastic thread, don't know how I've missed it 'till now. I'll be watching here, and around town...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perhaps we can discuss it over a cocktail in the Tiki room? Don't know if you recall, but me an my bother came by and bought a set of wheels from you a few years back. They're under his Model A now.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  13. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went to the Puyallup Swap Meet last weekend and now have my taillights. Actually, I was already half-way there—I found a light bucket in Portland a few years back that I thought would be perfect if I could just find its match. Well, I finally found it in Puyallup; the guy was from Montana and said he pulled it off an old trailer. Here they are:
    taillights.JPG

They’re '37-'38 Plymouth I believe, though I may be wrong. I like them because they mirror the cool Guide headlight buckets that came with the car, as you can see here:
    headlights and taillights.JPG

I realize this is a later look that might not appeal to the purists, but I think it’s going to work well with the vibe of that big LaSalle hood. And here’s how you know you’re living right: two aisles down I found a pair of NOS Lynx-Eye replacement lenses:

lenses.JPG

But the BIG Puyallup find—which I did NOT buy—was a guy selling a Winfield head, intake and S-carb. Yowza!

Winfield.jpg

I actually grabbed Matt (aka Hitchhiker) out of his booth to go over and take a look. There was no serial number, but the head had very small chambers—Matt speculated it was an 8:1 that had been milled. WAY too much for my little stocker, but very cool to see. My quest for a yellow head continues…

After the meet, my wife and I swung into Tacoma to visit the LeMay Museum—I should emphasize this was her suggestion for a Valentine’s Day outing, since we had never been there. The high point for us was their Auburn Boattail, which I’m pretty sure is the same car that inspired my car’s original builder in the early ‘50s.

Auburn Front.JPG

Auburn Rear.JPG

That last image is almost like looking at my avatar...OK, not really. :D

Attached Files:

14. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Sure thing. Funny thing is that I remember the visit, but I can't recall the wheels. I guess having a bar in the garage will do that to you.

The tiki bar is always open, but I'm out of the country until later this year. Theres gonna be a big shindig when I get home though...

15. I call dips on the bathtub or the back seat of the sedan for a bed.

16. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

No problem there. By bathtub do you mean the actual bathtub, or the phaeton? The former may be a good choice, earlier decisions withstanding. There's also the most comfortable couch in the world, in the Tiki room.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  17. kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. plow

plow
    from Louisana

Cool stuff here. Subscribed,

ClarkH likes this.
  19. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

just found this, went thru all 7 pages in one read. Fantastic save! Cant wait to see more!

ClarkH likes this.
  20. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry for the radio silence, everyone. An intense work phase had me sidelined for a while. But I’m back in the saddle again.

After Jim Ford very kindly did some work on the commercial shell he sold me—moving the neck and filling some holes—I finally got it in place and mocked up. To make it fit my standard A radiator, I had to tweak the radiator’s support brackets a hair (cut, bend, tack) and also file a couple slots into the base of the shell. My “custom” radiator support brackets had to be extended 3/4" to fit this wider shell. So the long hood got even longer!
    radbrackets_clamped.JPG
    radbrackets_extended.JPG
    radshell_mockup.JPG

If you look close, you can see I put an old Motometer on there, just to dress it up for the photo. When painted to match the car, I think this will look more "speedster utilitarian" than the stainless passenger shell I started with. I’ll strip the shell this weekend, and also take care of a few other things. Progress!

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

That hood & shell combo really looks nice! Bob

kidcampbell71, volvobrynk and ClarkH like this.
  22. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Looks Great! Gary

ClarkH likes this.
  23. 55willys

55willys

Looks like it was made for it. Oh it was. Looks great.

ClarkH likes this.
  24. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Awesome build, would love to find a body like that for my A chassis I am building.

Looking forward to watching the progress, great job!

ClarkH and volvobrynk like this.
  25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Any Update on this very cool ride?!

26. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I’ve been plugging away on the speedster. The progress has been slow—even by my standards—but steady. It’s mostly been the kind of stuff that’s really necessary, but not especially sexy. Nevertheless, here’s some pictures to catch everyone up.

The radiator shell is now good to go thanks to Scotch Brite and the miracle of molasses.
    RadShell_Stripped.JPG

The marine plywood floor pieces are now fully trimmed and varnished. Five coats.
    varnished_floor.JPG

The seemingly endless tedium of small parts painting.
    small_parts_painting.JPG

And, finally, lots of finishing touches to the bodywork, using All Metal.
    parts_bodywork.JPG

The car is all apart for paint right now. After going around and around on it, I decided to run in epoxy primer for the time being. Yeah, I know. My wife’s disappointed, too. But I figure proper paint is at least a couple years down the road. I actually received the primer from Eastwood yesterday. Now I’ve got to sand off the phosphoric acid residue and degrease everything. (And here I thought small-parts painting was tedious…)

27. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This is so great, I love updates!

That hood and grill looks so good! Any chance to get a picture where it's possible to see the full length of the car?

Wooden floors and misc small items, is a lot of stuff, but also the kind of stuff that makes it possible to be in the shop on you own humming and making engine sound and not have unnecessary comments about it!
    Nice work.

Any dissuasion on the fenders?

28. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you like it! The car's apart right now, so a full-length shot will have to wait until it's back together and I can roll it outside. My camera (phone) can't get it all in the garage, and in rainy Seattle you don't roll bare-metal cars outside in any month other than July or August.

You're right about the small projects--I joke about them being tedious, but it's really part of the fun.

As to the fender question, it's tricky. When I mock it up with fenders, I think it looks really good. Then I take the fenders off, and I think it looks really good. For now I will run fenderless, because I'm eager to get the car on the road. Eventually I'm pretty sure I'll add fenders and splash aprons--I saved the homemade aprons it came with, and have some ideas for adapting them into something I like. Louvers may be involved, like in this image:

bug-helle-nice.jpg
    By the way, I think my wife envisions striking a similar pose.

oliver westlund, brEad, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^ Bugatti Queen Helle Nice and her GP car, the right side spare tire strap is seen on the top of the cowl, very few cars ran with dual spare tires. Bob

30. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Great project!

ClarkH likes this.