Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old 1930 Channeled model A hot rod roadster gets a new lease on life.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 15, 2016.

1. So this weekend I was selling at the Early Bird Swap Meet in Puyallup, Washington. This is an event that is put on by a local model T club and has some good early ford bits. My friend and I brought two truck beds full and a trailer full of stuff and sold most of it. As luck would have it a guy came into my booth on Saturday asking about a roadster door. We hit it off and got to chatting about it and basically I figure out he wanted a door because he thought it would make the car more desirable to sell. So I ask if he wants to sell it and he does, Doesn't know a price but says he will think about it. I get his number. His name is Gary and he comes back a couple times, and we chat a bit more. Hes a really cool guy. I can tell he kinda likes me because I like hot rods and I'm one of the younger guys selling. So I just had a good feeling, and I called him that night and made plans to come take a look on Monday (today)......

.....Thus begins the longest 48 hours of my life.....

So anyways I sell a bunch of stuff at the swap and don't buy a thing. I go to his house today, and find this old body sitting there. It came with a dropped axle, some funky split wishbones and a nice set of guide 903J headlights. Story is Gary's dad bought it in the early 70's for the 32 grill it had and took it apart. It was channeled on a 32 frame, that his dad scrapped. It's been sitting on it's side in a shed ever since and now it's mine. Plans call for another 32 frame. I will use the axle that came with it, I have some 33-34 wishbones I figured I could lengthen to 32 length. For the rear I have a 3:54 banjo and some 36 bones. I also have a 36 ford dash and 36 Desoto taillights. I also recently scored a old filled 32 grill that was on a model A and that will make it onto the front of this thing. I'm torn on what to do about the body. I don't really want a channeled roadster and this one needs enough repairs to the body that a mostly stock subframe would be helpfull to get it back into shape. I am thinking a "mini" channel on a 32 frame is going to be best. So it will still be "channeled" just not much.

at this point I am going to concentrate on the body( drivers side is rough) and the trunk is bondoed over and I would like to open that back up. Also trying to finding a 32 frame that doesn't break the bank. I am still undecided on power plant. I would love any input!

20160215_141812.jpg
    20160215_161456.jpg

20160215_161514.jpg

EVL401, sko_ford, Okie Pete and 24 others like this.
  2. Rad. Needs a flathead.....

3. I was almost thinking the winfield engine, but I think I will just keep the truck a banger and do something else for this like a flathead v8 or maybe early olds.

volvobrynk and Dannerr like this.
  4. I'm with gwhite.Flathead would set it off.

5. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

That has huge potential. It has the same vintage bondo and splash technique as my truck! Lol ya would swear they put it on with a shovel.

6. I pulled off a loose chunk, it's at least 1/2 an inch thick!!

anyone got any tips for removing bondo?

7. I'd really like a flathead, but it's currently well above my pay grade. I'd have to score a cheap runner to afford one. I have well below market value in most of the stuff I own. Its the only way I can afford it. This build may use a lot of "high dollar" parts, but I assure you. No gold chain here. just diligent searching of the internet and swap meets for the crazy deals.

bct likes this.
  8. You know how I feel about bangers!! A full-tilt Cragar or Evans headed 4-barrel would be rad, but the cost....jeez. You've got a nose for finding stuff, could probably get a decently running V8 for cheap.

3340 and Hitchhiker like this.
  9. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Good to see and hear. I can't wait to give you a hard time in person about another project.

I'd say if you are stuck on a '32 frame, no banger. Flathead, early olds, or a Studebaker V8.

I, for one, would love to see it channeled over an A frame, which I know you have, with a full foot banger...

Hackerbilt and Hitchhiker like this.
  10. it will get one if I can find one. I can never seem to find one when I want one. I'm still a little unsure of what I want to do at this time and I'm not in a crazy rush, so we'll see what happens.

I'm hoping that the old owner will find some photos. I'd love to know what engine it had as well and plan on calling him tomorrow and chatting with him a bit more.

gwhite likes this.
  11. You're gonna love the details on this one when i get to tell you about it! Hope you're doing well over there buddy!

12. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

I've had good results with a heat gun and a putty knife. Nice score!

Hitchhiker likes this.
  13. Great score, I like your plans. Something like this would be cool

Attached Files:

14. Squablow

Squablow

Great car, let's see the bad side. What was the deal with those bones?! Why would someone do that?

15. or like these 3

Attached Files:

16. To keep the spring in front the stock width

oliver westlund likes this.
  17. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

18. I love everything you posted. All of those definitely have potential. I'm not 100% sure what direction it will go at this point. But I am definitely leaning to a higher stance.

19. Bader2

Bader2

Heat the back side with a torch,bondo pops right off.

K.L, 32ford5 and Hitchhiker like this.
  20. I dont know the reason why, but this is the second set I have acquired. other side pictures will have to wait till i can get it away from the bikes it's next to.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  21. kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Loving these pictures!!

23. Bader2

Bader2

Circle track stuff,doesn't limit your steering.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  24. Keep it channeled with a flathead!!

Those bones are bent like that to run the spring in front of the axle with split bones. Lots of cars ran them like that.

By the way this is the exact car I pictured when I saw your post on instagram. God this thing is cool!

[​IMG]

25. Agreed, except for the boat windshield...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. I so understand where your at. The Dream, the Vision and then that dang budget. How can things be so far apart? Here is my results for same conditions. I'd say keep it Channeled
    P1010242.JPG P1010244.JPG P1010248.JPG P1010249.JPG
    The Wizzard

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - never know where/when you will find a beauty like this - like the sound of a Olds for power

Hitchhiker likes this.
  28. I'd say keep it channeled. And if you're going to do that, no sense spending megabucks on a '32 frame. A frames are plentiful and cheap.

volvobrynk and Hitchhiker like this.
  29. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great find! And by that I mean, this car found you!

41 GMC K-18 and Hitchhiker like this.
  30. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

My vote is for a flathead V8