Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** February 2016 Banger Meet - Extra day this year! ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 1, 2016.

1. I really didn't think they would have them on a shelf. Thanks for the info.
    I will call today to get a rough guesstimate of time/price though.
    Thanks Bluto,
    Joe p.s. I've seen old blocks with bolted and welded braces inside. I thought it was just a way to hide a 5 main crank inside? Maybe it was just an attempt to stiffen the block? Ha ha.:cool:

2. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

Cool, being a poor man I like the idea of leaving it with the blasted finish. Still trying to figure out my exhaust manifold situation. Do I "need" the Y Headers for performance? Or can I go with a more conventional 4-1? I'm only really focused on performance, although my research indicates that the consensus is the 2 Y headers sound best.

3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

sounds best is not performance necessarily . I think the 4-1 has better scavenger effects & better proper back pressure . if you can , find dyno specs

4. Here's a couple pictures I got of the F.A.S.T. setup, on entry day (yesterday)
    The first picture is of my Roadster in (race ready) form!:D
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

hot-irons, waxhead and 29 Speedster like this.
  5. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

6. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

GOOD looking roadster Sandman. If I make it to Sac this weekend I'll try to say hi.
    Johnny

7. Thanks guys,;)
    Hey Johnny, I'll p.m. you my cell number so I can meet you near the F.A.S.T. booth. (never know where I'll be!) I think we may have a mutual friend. I met him at the Hop Up no. 2 party at the SoCal Speed shop then a week or so later up in a really small town car show called Hotrods and Hogs (Cotton Wood. ca)
    I think maybe your brother in law or just close friend, I can't recall. He was talking about your drive to the Hill Climb!:D
    Hope to meet you at the Autorama.
    Joe

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  8. See you tomorrow Joe. I think we are going to stop by the SoCal open house first then the show

9. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

has anyone tried the "E3" spark plug ? I was running NGK but changed to the E3 for grins & giggles . much cleaner running at low speeds . my idle was rich , (jetted down) weber carb . now there is no smell at idle . I ran them yrs ago in my drag bike with good results also . just askin

10. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

12. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455507537.893211.jpg
    Played with the Winfield intake today. Ran out of time but it's close

jerseyboy and waxhead like this.
  13. RussTee

RussTee

All good looked spectacular but not that much property damage no loss of life or injuries thank you for your concern

14. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Very nice! Now if I had a pair of fresh winfields I'd be calling you up! Beautiful looking manifold!

If I may ask, what size and wall thickness tubing do you use on your manifolds? They look great, and I hear they perform as good as they look.
    Thanks, Johnny

15. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Thanks.....
    I wish I had two Winfield's my self.
    I use 16 gage tubing.

I just found a guy that is doing 11 gage U bends I want to try and see how his quality of the bends are.

rtsidejohnny likes this.
  16. RussTee

RussTee

Having huge problems with my Winfield SRs on my Rutherford head we have decided to take them off and go back to the carbs I use to run when the motor was ruynning the Thomas side valve head There maybe to many things going wrong we have to retard the spark to about 5 degrees to get it to start and it is not running well. There has been a lot of work done on this motor and it is very disapointing not to get it running with the Winfields how ever it is better to get it running without them then try and sort them out .Locally there are a lot of opinions as to why they are not running varying from they are pure racing carbs to the fact that they dont have accelerator pumps and chokes so will never run right Winfields are very rare in NZ so there is no one I can turn too with experience.

17. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I can see Winfield's being a real pain in the ass. I sold the only one I ever had. I wanted a twin to it and never found one as clean. Being so old and you never know what was done to them before they sat on a self for 20 plus years.
    They look really cool and run good if you find good ones and learn to play with them. But they don't make more power then a 94 or 97 so I will stick with the new stuff.

18. RussTee

RussTee

I tend to agree Bill I did everything reasonable to get them going ie. had them reconditioned all new gaskets read as much as I could find on them used the instalation instructions for them but no go we got the motor running on them but everything seemed wrong motor was not running right and appeared to be overheating so off they came we will get the motor running as it was before then try them again. Have fuel regulater on and every thing we could think of so we will have to wait and see.

19. Winfield's were not designed as racing carburetors but racing mechanics found the ability to individually adjust the 3 basic circuits caused them to be used as such. The biggest problem with tuning Winfield's is the idea there is some mystery to them. They are probably too simple for most inexperienced tuners.By that I mean inexperienced with Winfield's design. I have no problem with them. The "S" carbs had no accelerator pumps and run quite well, in fact I prefer them. This photo is of my car just crossing the lights. This is a Winfield Flat head running 2 BB S's on an A block For Bill Sr.jpg

20. RussTee

RussTee

Just plain Bill you may have hit the nail on the head time will tell The guys helping with this engine think there is a mystery to them and think they are a racing only carb there for I have decided to put the old carbs on sort the motor then revisit the carbs although I have a fuel regulator I have a feeling the pressure is still high but I will see later first let them see if it runs with the old carbs it ran very well as a sidevalve.

21. I used a Winfield SR BB for two summers and switch to a S Model BB this past summer. I like the S Model better myself. If you don't mind Just Plain Bill any suggestions on how to set up dual Winfields. Must do or nots would be welcomed.. I have enough parts to put another S Model BB together so will be thinking of doing this soon.

22. RussTee

RussTee

I may have put you wrong mine are model S carbsnot SRs a matched pair SER SB 10258

23. First thing I usually do is check the float chamber to throttle body flanges. People tighten the nuts too tight and tend to warp the flanges Same happens to base flange. Inspect the throttle bores and remove any buildup of old additives around the idle ports, the slightest buildup can affect airflow over the ports and can cause off idle stumble. Then maybe lap the float needles into their seats. You can usually run 2 to 2.5 lbs fuel pressure with careful lapping. I made a small sleeve to hold the float needles close to perpendicular. Then set Float level. I do this with the engine notrunning but pressure up If you need to adjust I recommend you pull the pivot pin and bend the lever in a small vice as the 80 year old bosses in the lid may break off. Float level is critical. Set needles as per the book. Then adjust as per Winfield instructions. When I ran dual B's I found 27 28 clicks on intermediates was a good starting point. Care must be taken to get a close balance on duals. Watch for slop in throttle linkage when balancing. Check air bleeds for proper size as most have been drilled out and cause the wells to empty too quickly. Winfield milled his A B manifold carb flanges at 3 to 3.5 degrees so carb sets close to level. The vast majority were just bolted on stock manifolds so not sure how important the angle was/is. I don't care how many times a certain magazine reprints the same tuning article but the idle needle controls the air not fuel.
    These carburetors were designed so that your grandfather could install it on a Saturday afternoon and drive away.

BCCHOPIT likes this.
  24. RussTee

RussTee

Thanks Just plain Bill this is the kind of advise I need will check all as you advise

25. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Thanks BCCOPIT, hope the 11GA works out.

Some great winfield follow up too!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  26. Just Plain Bill, thanks for helping.

27. More Winfield, if you find your air bleeds are oversize you can plug them and drill to proper size. The number stamped on them is the size of the number drill used to drill them. If they are oversize the engine will hesitate after you have made a hard run and back out then punch it. Sometimes nothing will happen then it might cough and pick up again. Winfield made a change which was 1 size smaller in each size. The new BB size is the old B size. etc etc. there is a chart somewhere in the early issues of the FAST newsletter.
    Winfield gaskets may be purchased from Steve's Antique Auto Repair 616 538 0441, they do NOT make replacement SR. diaphragms. Gaskets are $5.00 a pop or $15.00 a set.
    Another suggestion is to always count your needle settings especially when setting float level. Always back out the needles when pulling the cap off cause if you don't hit the needle seats dead straight you will bend the needles and can push the needle seat out. It is easy to reset the needles.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    BCCHOPIT likes this.
  28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

anyone building a roadster that need chrome front fenders ?

29. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016