Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best Steering Gear for my 35

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Helloosination, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Helloosination

Helloosination

I building s35 Ford into early 50's hot rod and wondered what is the best steering gear to use. I have a 40 gear but wondered maybe I should consider something else. F1, mustang, Vega, r&p.

Thanks

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

40 gear will be an improvement especially if you want cross steer. F1 ok too but it will be side steer.

3. Use the '40 box you have. Parts are readily available if it needs rebuilding before use. The '37 and later box is a big improvement over the '35-'36 box. Get a steering box mount off of a '37-'48 car or '37-'41 pickup frame and install in place of the '35-'36 mount. The F1 box is close relative of the '37 up car box but it's designed for side steer rather than cross steer like your '35. The Vega or '60s-'70s midsize GM non-power boxes are good as well, but no point in buying something when you have the best possible solution on hand, great handling box and it's what a hot rodder in the '50s would have used.

4. Helloosination

Helloosination

Thanks a lot. I think a have a bracket somewhere also.

5. 27troadster

27troadster

Use the '40 box, MACs has rebuild kits along with new worms and new sectors. You'll want a panhard rod as well (if you don't already have one)

Kipp

6. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Why is the 37 box such a great improvement over the 35-36 box? I talked to a guy today who rebuilds boxes and transmissions 30's and 40's and he didn't seem to know any diffence.

7. First you should find a new rebuilder. Beginning in 1937 the sector shaft where it contacts the worm gear has a small gear mounted in bearings to roll instead of slide to reduce friction. Poor explanation, you need to see it. Go to http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_steeringear-pics/Flathead_SteeringGear_1933to36.jpg for the pre 1937 and to http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_steeringear-pics/Flathead_SteeringGear_1937-39.jpg for the 1937 and up. In both cases look at and compare part 3575 on the end where it contacts the worm gear.

Charlie Stephens