Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC valve covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by binderbart, Feb 12, 2016.

1. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

Just had a guy tell me 327 valve covers fit different than other sbc valve covers. I thought all sbc were the same

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

depends on date of manufacture

3. squirrel

squirrel

mid 59-86 they all fit the same. Mostly.

4. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

OTE="Jalopy Joker, post: 11385543, member: 19213"]depends on date of manufacture[/QUOTE]
    Wha
    Whats different?

5. some valve covers have a PCV valve and oil fill holes , some do not

6. Budget36

Budget36

Also there's different perimeter bolt patterns. After 86 or so, they went to center bolt covers.

7. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Prior to 59 have staggered bolt patterns. If you find a staggered set you really like you can get an adaptor to run them.

8. Brutis28

Brutis28
    from Colorado

Some the holes are not straight across from each other.

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Some can be "flipped around" on the same head, others, when they're "flipped around", make contact with the rocker arms. The 327 covers with the "box" in the center are good for either way. Some of the 305/350 covers, with brackets on top for securing wires to, can't be "flipped around" at all. Most aftermarket covers are good for however they're installed. The old script covers also contact the rocker arms if "upside down". I can be dependent on lift at the rocker arm.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

LOU WELLS and hipster like this.
  10. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

The cheap chrome ones from China almost fit everything, but really don't fit anything.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not a fitment issue, but there was IIRC, a one year only 327 valve cover(62-63ish) that had a slightly different rectangular decal pad, possibly in length only but also something about the area in the stamping where it transitions from the decal pad to the end.
    Have not found a photo yet, but I have physically seen a pair.

belair likes this.
  12. there are 3 basic common stock bolt patterns for SBC rocker covers. Stagger bolt, straight bolt ( both of those are perimeter) and center bolt.

So the 327 rocker covers will fit all straight bolt heads given that the covers are stock and the heads are stock. They will not fit stagger bolt heads or center bolt heads without an adapter of some sort.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

One more odd one that i have heard discussion about is the (IIRC), a 67 only and Canadian Pontiac only 327 valve cover that is basically the 283 style without the Chevrolet script stamped in it.
    I have also seen pictures of the earlier staggered bolt covers for the Canadian Pontiacs with Pontiac embossed in them.
    Hoping our intrepid fact finder @falcongeorge from "the great white north" will check his files for some photos.

14. I have seen late 327s with a 283 style rocker cover minus the script. That would have been a large journal 327 and the covers were punched for PVC.

I have always had a soft spot for the 327 turbo fire style rocker covers. They actually seem to be the most rare of all the SBC rocker covers these days. If I ever get rich and the stars align I am going to get two sets to make myself on good set of tall rocker covers out of. ;)

hipster likes this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My apologies to @binderbart.
    One more OT but little known valve cover is a finned aluminum version of the Corvette staggered pattern 283 cover that has a plain center with no ID between the fins.
    I have heard talk of it being used on the 283/270 hp and 283/283hp engines in the regular passenger cars. Possibly another Canadian application, but not sure.

[​IMG]

catdad49 and LOU WELLS like this.
  16. mercruiser
    58826-1237754636-4d5b99988655d42fb0ec5e2e2fbfb1f5.jpg

catdad49 and Atwater Mike like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You meen the 68-69 327 and 350 versions, the 68 Z-28s (302)had the chrome ones.
    [​IMG]

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The late fifties Canadian Pontiac valve covers have "Pontiac" stamped in them. That guy from Maple Ridge that had his '34 in R&C had a pair on his car.

19. Yep those minus the chrome. (my 302 had those ones when I pulled it from the wrecked vette in the '70s)

20. binderbart

binderbart
    from iowa

Wow. This site is very useful. The knowledge is overwhelming. I enjoyed reading every post and will refer back to this I'm certain. Here's the deal. I just picked up a 60 impala with a fresh 327. It has the cheap chrome valve covers and I would like to put a set of Mickey Thompson's on it. I'm a 3rd shifter and headed home for a short nap but plan on working on the car later till the better half gets off at midnight. I'll take some pictures and post later. From the numbers on the block we're coming up with a 1965 327. Thanks for all the replies.

hipster likes this.
  21. There is actually a quick fix for cheap chrome valve covers, some medium grit sand paper and a couple of cans of paint. LOL

I guess I am a dumb ass but I have never liked chrome valve covers much.

hipster and H380 like this.
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Quick google search...
    [​IMG]

catdad49, Atwater Mike and Stogy like this.
  23. Is that petcock to let water out? :D

hipster likes this.
  24. redo32

redo32

Denny, I've never seen or heard of these before. I do have some 9 fin covers that I got off a Toyota pickup in 1968. I bought him some brand new 'Vette ones & traded him.

25. squirrel

squirrel

I love chrome valve covers....if they're old chrome. Not the modern chinese crap (and by this I mean not the crappy 70s japanese crap, or the 80s Taiwan crap, etc either)

[​IMG]

catdad49, hipster and slowmotion like this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure, but none of those are 327's.

27. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm sure we'd all like to know why the petcock? Something added for some reason. I have a pair of STAGGERED pattern Mickie Thompson valve covers; on the inside is casted, "Chev 327" (???). We all know the 327 came out in 62, 3 years after the staggered valve covers from the factory stopped (mid 59). I'm saving them for one of my builds, a 292 with a factory dual quad setup. I'd sure like to have a pair of those "PONTIAC" valve covers. They appear to be staggered; did they come in both staggered and straight across styles?
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

hipster likes this.
  28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No idea, and its not original, just on the valve cover in the photo. I think they were also in straight, but not 100% certain.

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Theres been a couple times in my life when I could have used one leading into a combustion chamber...:eek::D

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

these were 1962 only. they are so similar that last year at a swap meet where I had several sets of stamped steel chevy covers someone grabbed one of each and bought them as a pair. I didn't notice until I got home and had only one 1962 cover left. there is a pair on ebay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-an...ash=item542375b775:g:tcsAAOSwu4BV2i3~&vxp=mtr