Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help with Electric Radiator Fans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Considering upgrading my single electric radiator fan on my '63 Biscayne, as I will be pulling a small Tear Drop trailer this summer..
    Engine is a 283 bored .60, cam, 305 heads, and some other stuff....with a '66 Chevy 396 radiator.
    Not sure what fan I have now, as I got it out of a junk yard.
    Asking for help with specific brands that pull a lot of air....can be double or single.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks....

2. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

Spal is the best IMO. And I've tried several attempting to cool big blocks in the SW desert heat.

3. I have a spal twin fan set up with a custom shroud and it cools just fine. Pulls a lot of air.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Use Spal here as well. The cheap fans do not seem to last long.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pic of motor - what is condition of radiator, cooling system, etc? which side of radiator is current fan located? have metal blade fan? automatic? any more details?

6. What's wrong with the mechanical fan? Are you using a shroud?

55willys and Montana1 like this.
  7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

For a SBC in a 63 Biscayne there is no way you should have or need an electric fan.
    A good radiator and proper factory style shroud along with a good GM clutch type mechanical fan ( All these parts are readily available at wrecking yards) and you are good to go. No need to re-invent the wheel. :)

8. The shroud on those cars was nothing more than a ring around the fan. lots of exposed radiator. It would probably work just fine, but no fan frees up some torque, and would not hurt the 283 (292 with the over bore correct?) at all. But @chopped51 you are absolutely correct the proper mechanical fan and shroud should cool it just fine.

@Hdonlybob like several others I prefer Spal Fans when I am running them. I cheaped out on the Pusher when I put it together and ran two fans from a baby Ford (I think a focus) but I found out by running the numbers on them that they were Spal Fans anyway. LOL

I like to run two small fans over one big one. I run one on a stat and the other on a toggle with a relay. The down side is that you have to watch the gauges like a hawk and remember to trip the switch. :D

9. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Thanks for all the replies...
    I will check out the Spal Fans.
    Also found info on the internet that says a Lincoln MarkV111 is a great fan to use as it moves a whole lot of air....
    I have posted on this since my build 4 years ago or so for other info...
    I have a 180* thermostat. Engine runs ~185-190* normally around town and short runs, regardless of outside temp. At constant ~60+ speeds will run up to 200-205* on days above 80* outside temp. Will cool back down to 185 as soon as I slow down, or let it idle.
    I know several on here have told me that is no problem at all, and I believe them. However, being an old fart, I just don't like it...
    Brief reason I am looking now:
    * Standard fan just didn't do it... period. Always thought that perhaps was from the overbore...as stated by P&Beaner the standard one is not really a great set up.
    * Now that I will be pulling a mini Tear Drop trailer with my Handicap Scooter in it, I want to be a jump ahead before summer starts.
    * I have no idea what the CFM of my current electric fan is....just one I bought from a junkyard that fit my radiator.
    * The Chevy 396 radiator checked out fine when I bought it...
    * Due to problems day dreaming and not watching the gauges, I changed from a toggle switch to having the fan run constantly tied to the ignition.

10. You can help control your highway temps with a few 1/8 holes drilled in you stat around the outer edges or by a performance t stat, Mr Gasket or Moroso both make good ones.

You also may need a better water pump, one that actually moves water. A quick check is to leave your rad cap off and fire the engine up when it gets to temp look and see how much water it is actually moving. Some pumps especially used or rebuilt one stir the water more than move it, the impeller gets worn down and they seldom replace the impeller when they rebuild a pump.

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Hdonlybob, my 63 BelAir has a 2004-2006 Toyota Camry dual electric fan assembly that will fit your 63 radiator like it was made for it. Cools my 63 efffectively with A/C on or off. Way cheaper then any aftermarket set up. IMG_0423.JPG

Gary

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  12. Grumbler

Grumbler

I installed a dual Flex-A-Lite pullers on my Olds 455 last year, very happy with the results. It took literally only minutes to drill holes for the brackets and attach it to the rad, then took me the rest of the day to wire lol. It came with an adjustable controller and a temp probe that slides into the fins on the rad and works just like a modern set up - comes on only when needed and runs after the engine is shut off until cooled down

13. Hdonlybob, Is it an automatic? You might want to consider a trans cooler, just a thought.
    As stated before, pulling an electric fan from a junker will save you some bucks. The Spal's are not cheap.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Looks very good!

15. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Why not run both on thermostats, set to different temperatures?

16. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

A few answers..
    Water pump is new...
    Transmission is a 4 speed Saginaw
    Gary....Nice set up....
    David, I may have to do that... I just don't like those set ups...
    Lots to think about here... one of the reasons I am so fond of this Forum :)

ON EDIT:
    Beaner...the flow thru the top of the radiator is very good.... :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  17. evintho

evintho

You might want to look into one of these. It's out of an '89 Thunderbird Super Coupe with a supercharged V6. Believe it or not they're a dime a dozen at the U-Pull-It yards. Picked up this one at my local Pick-N-Pull for $12.50 on half price day. It's a 2 speed fan. Not sure of CFM's but it pulls a lot of air! I believe it measures 18" square. It's mounted to a Volvo rad with a Izusu large truck intercooler behind it. This was in my Mustang.

[​IMG]

18. More then any other reason is for pulling under load, the small fan would keep or normally will keep my mill cool under normal operating conditions when on a 185 degree stat. I have discovered that if you wait until 200+ degrees it is hard to over come or if the engine is under load the single fan will not cool it so that is when you hit the switch when to reach operating temp or a little above.
    The second fan is more of an emergency/auxillary fan, and better to trust yourself in an emergency than to trust an automatic electrical component.

19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree with Beener. I have the temp controlled fan as well with a manual override. When it is 100 degrees plus I just flip it on. It also comes on with the trinary AC switch.

20. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

UPDATE:
    I found a Lincoln MK111 fan at a reasonable price.
    Now wanting to hook it up the best was to get the full use out of it.
    From my reading it appears that it runs on a variable speed control on the Lincoln's.
    Spal offers kits to do the same thing..but are somewhat pricey.. however if they really work well I don't mind spending the money for one...
    Any suggestions?

21. Gman0046

Gman0046

Bob, I really don't see the need for a variable speed fan. My Camry dual fans on my 63 BelAir run at high speed only off a thermostat. Lots of vendors such as Painless can fix you up with with a thermostatically controlled set up including variable speed.

Gary

Hdonlybob likes this.
  22. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Started messing with my fan today..
    It is missing the "Clip" or connector to hold the fan to the motor shaft (the fan slides right off)
    Any idea where can get the replacement required ??
    Thanks

23. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

BTT...here is the clip I am looking for...

Attached Files:

24. WordSmith

WordSmith

Napa part number TEM 900090

25. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

THANK YOU. WILL GO THERE TOMORROW !!

26. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

DamnDaddy,
    Called all over..it is a discontinued part.... and no cross checks...
    Any other ideas ???

27. WordSmith

WordSmith

Well boogers...

Next best thing I can think of is the local pull-a-part. Should be the same clip on the Mark VIII, Taurus, and Sable.