Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fuel spray from carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noxided, Jan 28, 2016.

1. noxided

noxided

3ft stream of fuel from carb when trying to start for first time.

302 with a carter 4bbl carb.
    Motor rebuilt
    Older carb that was sitting
    I don't belive I'm 180 out, TDC on compression stroke
    Help!

2. noxided

noxided

I pulled the front cover with it at TDC and and the timing marks were off. The cam was at 12:00 and so was the crank.
    Could this be the problem

3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

The cam runs at half speed...if you turn the engine over some more...youll see the timing marks on the chain will probably line up...what do you mean by 3ft spray? How much fuel pressure are you running?

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The mark on the cam gear is going to be straight up every other revolution of the crank as the crank turns twice for one revolution of the cam. Turn the crank one full revolution and the marks should line up
    I'd believe that your fuel squirting problem is a stuck float though as if the timing was off you would get a nice back fire and a ball of flame with that much gas.

falcongeorge likes this.

5. noxided

noxided

I have no idea on fuel pressure. It's a stock mechanical fuel pump.

6. noxided

noxided

Never figured it out so I swapped the carb out.

7. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

needle/seat not closing. fuel pump over fills carb and then pushes it out the vent hole under pressure.

8. How did you determine that you were at TDC? Were both valves closed? Or did you go strictly by marks on the timing gears?

If the piston is at the top of its travel and both valves are closed that is TDC.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like you have it on "blow". Flip this switch to "suck", should work fine.
    [​IMG]

noxided likes this.
  10. noxided

noxided

Gears and valves

11. LOL I had to go check, something I was working on lately the timing marks were actually as you described. So you stabbed the cam 180 out?

Wait turn it over again and see if the marks line up and both valves are closed. Huumor me I'm old. :D I just can't imagine you stabbing the cam 180 out. The valves could both be closed and it firing on a different cylinder.

The way to find TDC on the number one cylinder is to roll the motor over watching the valves then when the number one intake closes roll it up to the top of the stroke. Do that and check your timing marks again, we are talking 5 minutes here max.

Maybe that is what you did, I dunno.

12. noxided

noxided

I already fixed it
    It was the carb. I swapped it out and it runs perfect

13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Ethanol will eat up the insides of a Carter AFB or Early Edelbrock if that crap is allowed to sit in it for an extended time. Did you pull off the top of it ?

14. noxided

noxided

I rebuilt it, but still did the same. So it's gonna sit on the shelf for now.

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The cam marks lining up when installed may have nothing to do with TDC, timing, etc. Years ago a good racing pal was beside himself that when setting the cam marks on the gears he wasn't at TDC with the piston. It was a Mopar "LA" type small block and it turned out that he had no worries. The farther along the assembly went everything worked out right. Thought it might be a good topic to share that information. Seemed counter-intuitive at the time but it worked.