Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how did you paint that? fixtures and taping technics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 10, 2016.

1. please add photos of what you have done!
    it is always a trick to get something painted on all sides, especially parts that are small or odd shaped parts. i have seen some really neat setups here on the hamb, like those in @MP&C 's thread, and thought it might be a good idea to put them in one thread.
    we can add some taping and masking tips also.
    for these fenders i screwed a piece of plywood to wooden saw horses and then screwed the fenders to the plywood. i first wrapped the plywood in paper to keep dust/dirt from the wood from getting in the paint. DSCF4024.JPG

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    dana barlow, cktasto, bct and 4 others like this.
  2. i screwed some angle iron to the ceiling to hang parts from for painting and storage. these angles have lots of holes in them and are normally used to build shelving. i bent a bunch of rod "hooks" in different lengths. DSCF4839.JPG

3. this is an old garment rack that came out of N.Y.C. that i welded a length of metal with holes in it to hang or wire small objects. this is handy when doing multicolors. once sprayed this can be rolled out so the next color can be painted. DSCF4838.JPG

4. Taping
    the chassis and windows have been taped off. this is for two reasons, one to keep paint off of the inside of the car and the chassis and two, to keep any dirt/dust from the inside or chassis from getting in the final paint. DSCF4005.JPG

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

great thread idea

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I pre painted all my fender and adjoining body seams. Then left the fenders hang on the body with a gap exposed. Didn't have room in there to hang them separately. Worked out very well.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455106625.898541.jpg

[​IMG]

dana barlow, reagen, Cmatt55 and 6 others like this.
  7. MP&C

MP&C

Here's some paint on two-wheeled devices, getting ready for primer on 3 different bikes. Note the "trees" designed to hold the Harley half tanks for 100% paint coverage all while remaining perfectly still...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fenders have brackets made on tripods using simple rods through the factory mounting holes, again we'll have 100% paint coverage in one sitting..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. WOW! Beautiful work!

jackalope, loginrc and MP&C like this.
  9. MP&C

MP&C

Painting doors to eliminate paint lines...

All holes taped off, outer skin taped in about 1/8. When prepping for spraying the outside at the next step, an 1/8" line of paint is much easier to block than overspray..

[​IMG]

Mask outside skin..

[​IMG]

Inside sprayed..

[​IMG]

Back tape to folded skin flanges

[​IMG]

cover all holes (eliminates overspray)

[​IMG]

1/8" border line of paint on outside surface wet sanded, then door masked and sprayed..

[​IMG]

32SEDAN, dana barlow, brEad and 8 others like this.
  10. thanks for contributing Robert. your fixtures and technics are top notch!
    @Petejoe perfect "trick" to get the job done!

hipster and Petejoe like this.
  11. MP&C

MP&C

Glad to help, nice idea for a thread! Tips and tricks for all to up our game..

When "designing" a paint fixture, hardware used is smaller in head diameter than what goes on during final assembly for better paint coverage under the fasteners..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bottom merely fits into existing holes...use what you can.

[​IMG]

If at all possible, duplicate the exact position and angle of how the part fits the car, it may make spraying metallic somewhat easier..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Great ideas! When I make it back out to the shop, I will have to post a few fixtures I have built for spraying small parts.

MP&C likes this.
  13. Sporty45

Sporty45

Not as nice as Robert's above, but here's my home made bike parts stand I threw together to paint my stuff. It ain't pretty, but it works!

Attached Files:

brEad, 40ragtopdown, whtbaron and 3 others like this.
  14. chargin03

chargin03

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

16. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Dig this thread. I don't have any photos of my jigs at the moment, but pretty similar to the bike stuff already shown. nice to see other ideas for hanging parts.

17. I didn't have a chassis rotisserie so I use two engine stands and some square tubing to mount my chassis to. That allowed me to rotate the chassis and paint it in my home garage DSC06308.JPG DSC06310.JPG DSC06318.JPG .

hidez57, guthriesmith, Uribe and 8 others like this.
  18. tb33and a3rd Do you throw a chain over the rear end and wet the floors down and have an exhaust fan like me? or do you have a paint booth? Thanks Bruce.

yruhot likes this.
  20. tb33anda3rd.I am tring to decide when I paint my oldsmobile station wagon this spring if I should pull the doors and fenders off when I paint them. If I go that route I know I wont get any sags or runs. What do you think?Thanks Bruce.

hotrob32 and lowcoe like this.
  21. "booth"

22. nice job.
    proving, that they do not have to be pretty to work.

guys, please post it, wether it is a "engineered" fixture or made from broom handles and shoe strings.

Sporty45 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. THANKS BRUCE.

24. metallic?
    you just have to be careful bolting them back on that you don't scratch anything. that is why petejoe painted all the edges, and insides, then put everything in place.

Petejoe likes this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, you guys are good. I am planning to paint my car myself and these tips are well worth the price of admission.

26. MP&C

MP&C

The door tape-out method that I showed above does involve quite a bit of work in tapeout as well as two separate sessions of spraying. So not necessarily a time-saver :D. But it does show how to do some back-taping to hide a paint seam. To paint the door all at once and eliminate all that extra work, a different paint fixture is made.. Keep in mind with so much hanging outward from our "tripod", you will need to add some ballast to the base to keep things in the upright position while bolting on the doors.

[​IMG]

This uses one bolt hole per hinge to hold the door in place..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note solid cinder block for ballast. Again, this holds the doors in the same approximate position as when on the car to allow spraying metallic separately from the body.

27. Sporty45

Sporty45

I don't have one either, so this is exactly what I plan on doing to do my frame as well! :cool:

28. use of tape trick. duct tape pour spout. one piece around the outside one piece on the inside. DSCF4847.JPG

dana barlow, pbr40, The37Kid and 3 others like this.
  29. wired to stand first, then taped off.
    DSCF4844.JPG DSCF4846.JPG

dana barlow and zuke like this.
  30. 32 roadster body fixture. attaches to the top iron mount and is x'd to the upper door hinge mount. DSCF4848.JPG DSCF4840.JPG almost balanced perfect

dana barlow, nunattax and MP&C like this.