Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Intake & Carb ideas...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by summersshow, Feb 9, 2016.

1. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Working on my 62 C-10 and I've noticed an intake gasket leak... So off it goes... (327 SBC)
    So I'm Looking at the truck and I just don't like the intake and Carb... Flat stock intake with a quadrajet, quadrajet needs rebuilt...
    I remember working on a Holley 4000, teapot which I always thought was an awesome design, but do they run good on a SBC?
    Also any good intakes and it carbs that would look good? There's just so much room for activities!!!

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

This
    McFarland SBC.jpg

With this:
    Dominator.jpg
    And maybe this:
    Carb Cover.jpg

But you will need this:
    Dominator Adaptor.jpg

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Bored with the over used Offy's & Eddy's Tripowers? Just finished this rare Creitz dual 4, converted it a Tripower with the small base Rochesters.......................
    DSCF6645.JPG DSCF6644.JPG DSCF6643.JPG

slack and Nailhead Jason like this.

5. What are your requirements?
    -Low ET over MPG or vice versa?
    -How much are you willing to spend?
    -Period-correct 1962 or?
    -Do you need something now, or do you have time to search at swap meets/E-Bay/etc?

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holley teapot (towering inferno)? On a Chebby? Really?

There have been on number of threads on here over the years about this same subject, and it seems to me that the majority conclusion is that unless you are doing something unusual, you can't beat a quadrajet.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pics of your truck & 327

9. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

You cannot beat an RPM air gap and Edelbrock carb or Holley of appropriate cfm for street performance on a mild sbc mill. Kinda boring, yes. The triple deuces look cool as hell. More fiddling to get it dialed in.

10. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Edelbrock C4B with either a 600 or 650 Holley vacuum secondary carb, [HASHTAG]#1850[/HASHTAG]. It's a nice, simple, and trouble free setup. It's era correct for the 1960's, and easy to find too.

For my 59 GMC, I went with the Pontiac equivalent.......An Edelbrock P4B with a 600 vacuum secondary Holley on a 326 Pontiac V8.

11. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Here's some pics... Not in a rush, I'm just playing with it on the weekends.

12. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Oops... Pictures... Carb intake and all I would like to stay under 1k, but I'm just thinking... I could go more...
    It's gonna be a cruiser...
    @GearheadsQCE ... What manifold is that?

Attached Files:

13. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

McFarland, on the auction site now

14. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Not my stuff. but I couldn't resist jerking him a little.
    Actually, if I was going to build a race type car in the near future, I wouldn't mind having that manifold.

15. LOL Its just a carb and even a gas soaked sponge will work in a pinch. :D

I am running a Holley Contender and a Carter AFB on my small block. The Contender is hard to come by and I think it was replaced by the Weiand Stealth, which is a pretty good intake for street motor as modern intakes go.

If you can find one the L-79 intake is a good vintage intake. A small Holley bolts right on one and they make a good combo. 600 CFM and vac secondaries work real well on a stock to mild 327.

The quadrajunk is a good carb but they are a pain in the ass to work on. I wouldn't toss one for that reason, but the holley is easier to work on if someone is set bon buying a different carb.

All that said I am taking donations for my current hot rod project and I really like that setup that @GearheadsQCE posted if someone wants to step up. :D Hey what is that intake anyway. :confused:

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

When you open your hood it's a mile & a half down just to see the motor, you need an intake/carb set up that fills the "VOID" so to speak! JMO

17. mushrooms[1].jpg

Is this full enough? its pretty hard to fill a C10 with a small block. LOL

slack likes this.
  18. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Jim McFarland was quite the innovator - mostly circle track - this manifold was called the Tork Link and was meant to give a car extra punch out of the corners....he eventually sold the patterns and someone else made em for a while - I ran across one at a swap a couple of years ago for $30....I thought it looked neat and bought it - when I got it home and realized what it was I put it on ebay and got $330 - a nice profit (even after the fees) to buy more stuff I needed....

19. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

That is my exact problem... I wonder if I could put a small blower on it...

20. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Got another one?

21. aaggie

aaggie

I recently bought a box of carbs on CR and there was a Holley 4165 in the mix. It is a spreadbore with mechanical secondaries and double pumps. It seems to have all of the best features of the Q-jet and Holley designs. Probably would work well with a mid rise dual plane on a 327.

22. Wish I did. As soon as I find another one I'm scooping it up. If I find two I'll let ya know.

23. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Those are on Ebay a lot.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have seen several dyno tests where a C355B and trips has run virtually neck and neck with a performer RPM on mild small-blocks, just a little food for thought. I would go Rochesters instead of three bolts.
    If I were going to use an RPM, I would go with the regular RPM (or a Holley 300-36 or Z-28 intake) over an air gap on a mild motor, due to the cut down plenum divider in the air gap. But then a full plenum divider calls for a bigger carb, and we all know how the HAMB feels about that.

[​IMG]
    ^^This would be my personal pick for a mild, daily driver sbc...or the tripps, if you wanted the "look".

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016