Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** February 2016 Banger Meet - Extra day this year! ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Hi Larry,
    That's funny I haven't heard them called Scat(ter)!
    I will definitely remember that one!:D

Dan, doesn't need any defense! I was just surprised to see a sbc in his car!
    (Sad story about how he got it and I wouldn't change a thing on it either!)
    I bet she hauls ass!! He knows his shit about Bangers and his way around a machine shop! (that's for sure!) It was an honor for me to meet him at the H&H booth, then a few days later at my friends machine shop!:cool:
    I hope to see him again soon on the SALT next time! (of coarse on the record-breaking team!):D
    Joe

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

sandman , yes I have a balancer built by you . no complaints here , works as it should

3. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

I scored this intake recently. I know it's a repop, but even those seem to be somewhat uncommon.

So my question to you is... Polish or paint?

Attached Files:

4. IMHO, I like the satin finish result from Glassbead blasting. It doesn't chip peel or fade and ages well, unlike some folks around here.....

5. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Steve, I sent you a PM :)

6. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Polish.

7. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Freshened up a B motor and had to put this head on it. 1454981023962.jpg

Now for the mud to go away and get it in a car.

G Baese, waxhead and 530sandman like this.
  8. I would never paint an intake unless it was iron!
    Polish if you already have lot's of polished pieces.
    But I like the Glass bead look like JOHNNEILSON
    said! That's what I did with my Kong timing cover.
    You can see it in the other post with my Damper page 3 of this thread..
    Joe

9. AWESOME!
    Please don't forget to post pictures after the intake, carb/carbs? and exhaust manifold or Header? is on!:D

10. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

What are the major differences from an A to B engine? I know fuel pump is one, pressure fed mains? And cylinder head. Most of these seem to be able to do to an A engine. What other things are there that makes the B engine more desirable?

11. More meat in the crank, pretty much sums it up.

12. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

How much more we talking? Is it considerable? Wish I had a B engine to compair side by side...guess i can try and look up journal sizes.

13. Mod A is 1 5/8" mains 1 1/2" throws
    Mod B is 2" mains and 1 7/8" throws
    Pretty significant if you ask me. The A block does not have clearance between the main bolts to drop a B crank in.
    However, there is a Saturn motor bearing that will fit between the bolts and the crank mains go down to 1.850Ø
    This seems to work pretty well, the weakest part are the A throws, especially if drilled for oil.
    There are pictures of broken A cranks around here, just search them up.

enjoy, J

14. Here's a couple!!!! I wish I could say something good about Scat but I will never EVER use their stuff again! They did me wrong!
    Don't believe them if they say, send it back we will take care of you!
    All they want it for, is to throw it away (the evidence) and say F you!
    Their so called B cranks use A rods!!!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Thanks John. I found several threads on broken A cranks but it was taking some time to find the journal sizes.
    That is a very considerable amount of "beef" Kinda kills my thoughts of hopping up an A engine, but I wont admit defeat until I get a look inside the block and see if there is any unexplored avenues. Which is pretty unlikely after all the years gone by but you never know.....

16. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

@530 sand man, are the scat cranks a ductile iron casting??

17. I have no idea! After making the purchase, I found out they come from China!! So the casting was done in China (who know's what's in it or the process?)
    But they (Scat) can legally say made in USA because the machining process that's done here in the U.S. takes over 50% of time making involved. I guess you can call that a loop hole!?
    Made in USA is BS, notice it's not advertised (100% USA?)

18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Some time ago, Tom Lieb or someone in the know, posted on the HAMB that the reason Scat sources blanks in China is because there were no sources in the US.

19. Yeah, I'm sure no source in the US that would do it for as cheap as China!!!!:mad:
    Just like they can't make it with a 1 7/8" (B) rod Journals!?
    SCAT SUCKS!

20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Now for the mud to go away and get it in a car.
    where did you find that head ? also , the valve cover looks more like an overhead . info please

21. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

When I and a few other I know got scat cranks they were being done in India (not China) and machined in the US
    things may have changed by now
    By the way mine has done heaps of miles and over 50 1/4 mile passes hill climbs ect with no problems as have others I know of all are making good power and are given a hard time

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  22. Good to know India has better steel!
    Are you making 200+ HP and drilled for pressure? Or splashing with insert bearings?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  23. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

I've always had good luck with metal out of India. I can't say the same for Chinese metal. I have some tools made in India and would use them as soon as I'd use my snap on tools.

24. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will, I'm working on a 2 X 2 Zepher (polishing it) and two 81's
    I have a Mallory or a B dizzy and I'm trying to decide
    Header? I'm figuring that out

Larry

25. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The head is one of a few that Riley cast he is best known for his OHV stuff. I know they are rare and have heard of two others. I scored it in a find in California a few years ago. It was actually in a pile destined for scrap and I just happened to get there in time . I'll try to post a photo of the combustion chamber when I get to a different data base.
    The cover was in the same score and is old school. It isn't like anything else I've seen.
    This stuff is still out there. It came with a 4 into 1 header, lake style, maybe that is for this engine too.

26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I have a reds 4-1 & like it fine .
    pix would be cool . id like to see how they did the cover ..........

27. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Moldex in Detroit are the best custom crankshaft people

Using JUNK in racing never saves you money........ NEVER! BANG=$$$$$$$$$$

530sandman likes this.
  28. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

I doubt mine makes that hp it is full pressure it has never seen a dyno just the highway and the track where it runs between 14.8 and 15.0 seconds down the 1/4 mile in street trim (just as it was driven there) depending on how well I drive it also sees 5000 rpm regularly we have here also a B engine roadster with a scat crank in the low 14s and high 13s my guess it he would be up there for hp
    by the way reducing the bigend journal size is not a bad thing it has more pro s than cons
    and as always Bluto is correct Moldex or Harrop make the best cranks if you have the $

29. Thanks guys, I would have a lot more $$$$ if it wasn't for Scat!
    At this time I'm running a drilled C crank and my Damper.
    So far so good! I've already picked up a KONG girdle pan but will be making the girdle with 7075 billet. I'm just waiting to come across the right Diamond B block that hasn't already been butchered on! I know where there are many (0kay a few!:cool:) but been busy working. When the time/$$$$ comes, I will definitely call Moldex in Detroit! Until then, at the (races) I'm gonna drive it like it has a 5 main crank!!!:D
    Joe

30. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

They really don't stock banger cranks and lead time can be a pacing item

If you get a block stiff you don't need a 5 main crank but that is a longer discussion than my cataracts allow today.