Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Back in a Shoe again......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tierod, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Tim: the motor mount bolts snapped off in the block, and I can get straight on one, but the other one is above the steering box. I'll get someone to watch the Master as I push, but it is bolted to a pretty hefty piece of metal (see picture above post). I did think about pedal ratio, that is still on the table.
    Wizzard: I did consider converting the stock gauges. But I remember in the 60's you added gauges to be "cool", (along with the truck running lights under the dash... :rolleyes::rolleyes: )
    40Standard: I think Dennis Chilton, but on hold until I resolve current problem first.

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sorry I spaced out on them snapping off in the block. That would throw a wrench in things.

If the mc is bolted to a plate but it has no brace on the back side the whole firewall can/will flex. I laugh remembering when my dad thought he had lost his clutch when what happend was the fire wall has rusted badly enough that it was all moving when he pushed the pedal! Haha.

A bad pedal ratio could also exaggerate a flexing firewall

3. UPDATE:
    Tom and his crew at Culbertson's Rods and Customs in Indianapolis, just installed the Aerostar Springs, new Shocks in the front, and removed the broken motor mount bolts and installed grade 8 bolts and made a torque bracket to keep the engine from lifting and flexing the motor mounts. The only other way to fix that was to pull the motor. (Which we may have to do if this does not hold.)

The stock springs were heated to lower the car. When Tom got them out, four coils were actually together, with no gap. No wonder the car rode hard...!!!! It rides like a brand new car now. It does sit a bit higher, but that's OK.
    I'm happy. The aerostar springs really react well to hard bumps...with no bottoming out. He did cut the snubbers about 1/2 inch. I'll let the springs settle for a little while, then get a alignment.

I also put in seatbelts.
    I'll let the springs settle for a little while, then get a alignment.
    He did confirm the motor is a 302 Roller with GT40 heads and a Demon Carb.

If you want a Hotrod built by someone that knows the traditional style, then Culbertson's Rods and Customs is the place to go.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Glad to hear it!

5. SCORE: Just bought 5 of these.. 670x15 Coker Classics, with new rims. mounted, balanced and painted.
    upload_2016-1-14_14-24-51.png

I wanted radials, but this deal was too good to pass up.

FYI: He has another set (but Ford Green) for sale, he bought them and his customer decided to go another direction, so he put them up for sale.
    http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/wto/5364037529.html

Attached Files:

Squablow likes this.
  6. The -M- is for Melich ( I think that's how it was spelled) they were sold as Mellich Cruzer wheels, then through wheel vintiques for a while just as the Cruzer wheel. Pretty sure they were all made overseas, I have had 3 sets of these and they are great wheels. currently have a set on my 51 chevy in my avatar. You can get them from JD wheels. They are very in expensive and the polish really last good on a daily driver. JD is a super nice guy to deal with. here is a link to the site

http://www.jdwheels.com/halibrand-replica.html

7. 1940 coupe

1940 coupe
    from nj

8. Squablow

Squablow

Nice car and I'm 100% in agreement with the changes you're planning. Those wide whites will look nice and the color seems like a perfect match to your paint job, good score there. My '52 has the same Aerostar springs, they don't seem to settle much, you're probably OK to do your alignment right away.

My '52 also uses a Fordomatic column on a newer trans, was done when I got the car but it works great and I am looking to locate a similar column and linkage for my '51 Mercury. The Lokar shifters are nice looking and would be better than what's in there now but to me, most automatic floor shifters seem out of place in a 50's car. Although 55-57 Thunderbirds had a floor shifter which wouldn't look out of place if you could find one.

9. Squablow: I'd be OK with a column shift...but with the high stall torque converter, I have to shift the 3 sp manually. I may go with the Lokar shorter shifter with the 8 ball.
    Next is to remove the rectangular exhaust tips with round turn downs...

I also am thinking about these Wheel Covers ...

Here is a Facebook link to a video of the Exhaust ...

Attached Files:

10. Also: Bubba (GMC_BUBBA) is building me a new Distributer... can't wait..
    The 50 has one of those "Imported" Dizzy's and I need to get it out before the summer cruise season..

http://www.bubbasignition.com/home.html

11. I have the Aerostars in my Ford and used the 5821 shocks too. I had to slot them, the holes were too close together for the lower arm locations. If they don't hold, I'll machine up some adapter plates. But loving the way your Ford is going.

12. OK< The "SHOE" has new Shoes.. :)

upload_2016-2-6_13-4-24.png

13. jimbanner

jimbanner

I like the new shoes alot!

tierod likes this.
  14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Wow - looks nice !

tierod likes this.
  15. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

So amazing what a new pair of shoes will do...stance actually isn't bad either with the new springs...looks great!

tierod likes this.
  16. Thank you guys... I'm pleased.

Nailhead Brooklyn likes this.
  17. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

That looks really good Tierod!!!!

tierod likes this.
  18. Isn't that what Imelda Marcos used to say?

tierod and Nailhead Brooklyn like this.
  19. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Tierod she's looking great. Can't wait for spring so we can do some cruising. Are you going to be in the Motorama show? She sure would look good under the bright lights - that color really pops!!

20. Bludice: Yes, car is entered in this years MOTORAMA... what a great event... Looking forward to a bit of cruising this summer...
    Eagletucky: Thanks...

21. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

did you rebuild your seat yet? nice looking box

tierod likes this.
  22. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Those wheels and tires made a world of difference...looks great!

tierod likes this.
  23. Great looking Shoebox-

tierod likes this.
  24. 40Standard: No not yet...The Seats are still on the list.
    Black Panther: Thanks, they do....
    2bubbas: Thanks..

A close-up of the "Hollywood Spinners" Kool Daddy-O...
    upload_2016-2-7_15-37-43.png

25. Squablow

Squablow

New wheels and tires look great, sits nice too with the new springs.

Will the "fine wine" stickers come off?

26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

New Shoes for the New Shoe! Very nice.

27. U-235

U-235

Very nice...I like the way it is headed......hope to start on my 51 this spring.

28. Squablow: Thanks.. It seems like it is actually up a bit, but the old springs were hearted and compressed together. I'm OK with it, it rides nice. The "Fine Wine" letters are from a craft store, vinyl stick on letters. It refers to the color "Raspberry Wine Red".
    U-235: Good luck with your 51.. Start a build thread, let me know.
    Deuced Up!: Thanks...

Next:
    • Save some pennies to repair the seats (Springs).
    • Replace Shifter (Lokar with 8 ball)
    • Replace the Tail Pipe tips (with round ends).
    • Clean up the Dash (Too many different knobs and switches.)
    • I have been recommended to replace the monster Demon carb with a smaller Carter (Runs rich as heck, unless your foot is in it,)
    • Then, maybe consider a visor.
    • I'd love to chop it, but that is too far out of my budget.
    They are never done :) that's what is so great about this hobby, keep you broke and happy.