Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** February 2016 Banger Meet - Extra day this year! ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 1, 2016.

1. I'll be there,hopefully. I fly out for New York that night, so hopefully it works out

2. He's from Ohio. I met him at the H & H booth in the Turlock swap meet . My bud Max Jr. called me and said Dan was at his booth and wanted to meet me, so I stopped digging/picking through crap and went strait over. I've talked with Dan several times on the phone after the purchase of my Cragar 4 port.
    After I got home there was an email saying He would be at my friends shop with some other 4 Banger guy who holds a few world records but doesn't like his name thrown around..;)
    My friend who is getting known as machinist X, the person who sent the email was/is doing some top secret stuff that I could/would NEVER talk about!
    Machinist X thought it would be cool if I drove the car to his shop so they could see it!:D
    It was an awesome day!!!
    Joe

3. That's cool. We seem to be in the same places and never run into one another. I was at Turlock from 6:30 am to 5 pm. Machinist X is out of the bag now:oops::oops:. I recognize that building in the back

4. OH SHIT! Now you have to swear to secrecy!?

5. You're a local, I was gonna introduce us both to you on the day I broke the Scat crank. He and I was gonna go on the reliability run you had organized. :D

6. Is there a blood letting ceremony involved?;)
    I'm going to do another one in the spring through Lassen if all that white stuff melts. You need to come up for a meeting, I'm the pres this year:cool:. The club is in dire need of some fresh energy. Next meeting is on 23rd. I need to talk to him about building a motor also.

7. Ha ha, No blood letting!:eek:
    I will talk to him and see if we are both available.
    Sure sounds good to me!
    Joe

8. Oh good. Just double secret handshakes then:cool:..
    I'm also planning a garage day the first weekend of April to help guys lube their cars and change the oil. Also do safety checks on the cars that want it. I'll get you times and dates when I figure it out.

9. I use a fusible link, but also changed my one wire to a 3 wire. I have had several one wire alternators that got fussy about charging consistently after a year or two. I changed them out on the banger and two other rods.

10. Yes, the hand shake will work, but do expect a few areas of the shop off limits!:p
    That is really cool of you to do the help on Lube, Oil change and the Safety checks!:cool:
    Keep me posted on dates and if I'm free, I'll come up and help with that too!:D
    Joe

11. Sounds like a plan. I'll keep you posted on the dates and times. Right now I'm looking at April 2nd about 10:30 AM at my VP's house in Palo Cedro

12. Okay, let me know when it's confirmed.

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Some time ago I told you we were working on our "mini banger" a 1937 Fiat topolino. Speed equipment is hard to find. We were lucky and got a Siata OHV conversion. We just got our head gaskets made. Now on to the Billet crankshaft and connecting rods

These are laser cut of steel reinforced diesel material This head it about 11 inches long!

siata gaskets.jpg

14. WOW!!!! Sounds so awesome!
    Please keep the pictures coming!
    Joe

15. I broke two cranks (one at the rear main, another at the flange). Dema Elgin had told a group of us that if we ran these"Bangers" much over 3000 rpm, it would be a matter of time as to when the harmonic waves set up by this type engine would break your crank. I put a harmonic damper (SBC) on the nose of my cranks. In near 12 seasons of hard racing I've not broke another crank.
    32-Miller-Scofield-Ford-DV-13-MH_014.jpg

ebtm3, waxhead and BCCHOPIT like this.
  16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

great car !

17. I've been doing freeway speeds in my Banger with my Damper now for hundreds of miles. It doesn't vibrate like an old car anymore!!!
    One of the best mods EVER!!!!!
    There is two before being vulcanized and balanced.
    The other is installed.
    Didn't you get one VF4?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Any thoughts of going into production Sandman?

19. Hi, a few have been made for H.A.M.B. members
    Although they are direct bolt on, you still need to make a different front engine mount just like you would if you was to do machine work and have a sleeve made for the use of a sbc damper. (It just didn't seem like a good/safe idea):eek:
    So we made these from hardened billet steel. It was a big time consuming project to whittle these little babies out, then take them to a Damper making pro to Vulcanize and balance/SFI certify them. End result. (NOT CHEAP!)
    Who knows, Maybe after a few hard races and thousands of miles on the freeway 70+ miles an hour W/O overdrive! we may just go ahead and buy the very expensive 20 foot long solid round stock of steel?
    That's a lot of Dampers!:D
    Joe

20. I didn't mean any offence by saying the sbc was a bad idea or unsafe. It's just that I run a hoodless car and plan to drive thousands of highway miles on the streets and have already broke a fan blade, it stuck in a 1/2 inch OSB board 12 foot up near the ceiling of my shop after chopping my upper water hose in half. I was more concerned with the cheap China made sbc Damper!
    It was your success that with a Damper that made me decide it was worth the time and effort.
    Thanks,
    Joe
    Notice the little black piece stuck in the wall (You can slide a strait edge over the wall and not touch the fan blade!) next to the top left side of the Can-Am banner. the pump exploded after the blade came off due to being unbalanced! So I hung it up there as a reminder to NEVER stand inline with a fan!:eek:[​IMG] [​IMG]

21. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I have a buddy, Rick, that lets his hound dog mouth over run his coon dog ass a lot. He is active with the local Model A Ford Club. These guys are finding all they do is upset the motoring public in a stock Model A. They are starting to 'hop up' their cars. The problem with these guys is that they go on the cheap and don't have much mechanical skills for the most part. My buddy volunteered to work on one of the club members car that was loosing oil pressure on corners. Rick and I have been modifying the A oil pumps with the inlet to the gears in the bottom plate. This means closing the stock inlet opening in the housing. I've been making a copper piece and silver brazing the opening shut. Rick wanted me to do that for this club members car and I agreed. He thought that the housing around the screen was probably leaking and drawing in air and I suspect he is correct. The modification of moving the inlet to the bottom plate eliminates the problem of sucking air in that manner. He brought me the pump and this is what it has for gears IMG_20160206_130526264.jpg
    It will build lots of oil pressure. 85 psi cold which is way too much but 25 psi at idle hot easy.....
    All the pumps I've ever seen have straight cut gears. They are 1/8" larger in diameter than the stock gears and the housing has been modified to accept them.
    Anyone got any ideas or seen a pump modified like this?

Larry

22. We built one using a new set of USA made 1964 327 sbc oil pump gears. Works really good!
    You must have a regulator though!
    The first picture on the bench before running the stainless safety wire through all screws. I even ran a safety wire on the screw holding the pump to the block. I can't just depend on the spring to hold her up!:D
    The base is 7075 billet aluminum and the shaft housing is made with 1045 billet steel and bronze bushings. No more breaking pumps! (SUPER STRONG!) It has over 1,000 dollar shop hours in it!(parts and material not included!):eek: Worth every bit!o_O p.s. the pickup screen is towards the rear and the stock pan still fits it! Just (a little trimming needed on the baffle)
    Sorry,I didn't take any pictures of the gears but (THEY ARE HUGE!)
    Joe
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good looking oil pump. Yes it needs a pressure relief for sure. Have been using a SCAT remote mount filter that has integral pressure relief but they changed it up and the new ones need a spring change. I have been looking for a relief that can be placed on the pump shaft.
    Sure would like to know what the pump gears are out of....

Larry

24. Scat?????? I wouldn't use them for anything!!!!!! For theirs to work, it would need a separate return line to the pan!!!!!
    They said they would cover the broke crank, told me to send it back. It cost me hours and over a hundred bucks to get it back to them! Weeks later I was told to go f-ck myself!:mad:
    Mine is my own design mounted where the mechanical pump would go so it can be adjusted without dropping the pan.
    My oil filter housing is a Transdapt with 1/2" lines. The K & N race filter has an oil pressure bypass that will still put out too much pressure if we don't run pressure regulators though a full oil filtration system like we usually run in our A's and B's
    The filter also has an anti back flow so if you mount the filter higher, the crap won't run back into the engine when not running!
    Joe

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  25. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I meant to reply that this is Dan Price. I met him in Lincoln, Nebraska at Speedy Bills reunion in 2013.

His Roadster Nebraska June 2013 017.JPG
    Under the hood
    Nebraska June 2013 028.JPG

This is why he beat us everywhere....
    Great guy and very interesting to talk to.

26. WTF! is that a SBC under the hood????

27. I had a p.m. asking for a picture of where I'm hiding my filter so I said I would post a few pictures. You can also see my oil pressure regulator. Notice the filter is mounted to the wood floorboard. I also made an aluminum heat shield and punched some louvers to suck out some of the hot air that might be trapped there.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BCCHOPIT likes this.
  28. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I have to deal with poor pump design all the time with the piddling little shit oil engines I build

My general choice is an MGB gear rotor. The package is small and cheap. You can buy pump rebuild kits. 3 main gear is shorter than 5 main. Both make a nice compact package. If you use a chunk of hex stock You can bore it on a lathe. I'm a mechanic not a machinist so I really try to keep things simple. I just don't like standard gears in pumps.

Please remember guys. You can make anything you need on your kitchen table if necessary. Doesn't hurt if your wife is a racer.

This stuff costs time but is waaaaaaay cheaper than loosing an engine

I agree about SCAT I have seen too many problems with their stuff over the years

MGB-1.jpg

530sandman and winduptoy like this.
  29. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn't mean to dial you up with Scat(ter).. I remember your post on the crank and ultimate outcome which is a hard pill to swallow. Yes the third line has to be added as a relief line, which isn't pretty. I like your set up with the oil pressure regulator located in the fuel pump hole.
    In Dan's defense, I believe he just inherited the car from a deceased, life long friend. It is kind of hard to change something like that with memories. I thought it kind of funny though attending a pre 1935, 4 cylinder powered event until I learned the story.....

Larry

30. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet