Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A pickup, my first build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by F-6Garagerat, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Dude.....I saw that and thought wow good price...that will be a unique one for sure

2. mista

mista
    from Finland

Hi. I am the new owner of this car. I dont actually have bigger plans for this car yet since i haven't seen it. I live in Finland so getting the car shipped here will take at least 6 weeks.. So it will take some time for me to actually see what i bought. :)

I have to do some modifications to the frame to get the car legal to Finland since in Finland the frame has to be boxed to install that V8 there. And i have to add K or X member to the frame for the same reason. The steering maybe also illegal here. But we will see it when it gets here. And most stupid thing here is that we are allowed to have only 1 two troath carburetor in a hotrod so i'll take two of them off for the registartion and put them back after that :) And also fenders are needed. I'll just mound few plastic fenders from a trailer and take them off after registration.

Besides that i don't know what will i do.. I respect the past of this car very much and won't be ruining it.

hfh, kidcampbell71 and wedjim like this.
  3. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Good to see you on hamb!
    We were talking about this PU you bought at yesterday at our clubhouse.
    Looks like you scored a cool model A,congrats!
    PS.That glass company we were talking about was Harjulan lasiliike.

Antti

4. mista

mista
    from Finland

Thanks Antti. I'll contact them as soon as i get this car home.

5. Ok you got a great deal...if I wasn't 6'4 250 I would have sold my F100 to get into that little truck. Have fun n with it in Finland

6. mista

mista
    from Finland

Great deal and fair price. Since it will cost me 3000 dollars for shipping and and somewhere between 2300-3000 dollars for taxes in Finland so it will be expensive for me here but still i'm in love with it. I Almost envy you since you can drive these old cars and pay fair price for them since even if the car is "cheap" it will cost us much much more to get it here and on the road.

7. Don't feel bad for modifying it to fit regulations. There are many countries that require it, Canada comes to mind, also Australia if I'm not mistaken. Don't feel bad about the cost either, I'm sure you got a deal. I once shipped a pile of parts that resembled a Model A truck to a buyer in Sweden. He had to ship it to So -Cal first then to Sweden, he said tariff taxes are insane at customs. He had about $5000.00 into it and it was still a pile of parts!!.

8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Scott, Those A pickups are small, the furthest I've ever drove mine was from Detroit to St Paul in 89 very memorable trip but not the most comfortable. At least you did get to enjoy it some and I'm sure the new owner will have some fun with it too. Seen that International in the classifieds, it's a neat truck. Look forward to the new build.

9. mista

mista
    from Finland

Can anyone tell me what magazine and what issue was this in? So i could buy this issue.

10. Bader2

Bader2

Looks like old skool rods.

11. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Ol' skool rods
    #65 september 2014

I only know that because the blue and black model a was mine hah

12. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Here's the cover

Attached Files:

13. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Here ya go man, sorry, I forgot. Been busy here.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452268678.410961.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452268766.308710.jpg

14. mista

mista
    from Finland

Thank you all. I did a littlebit of undercover work and found the magazine and the issue. Ordered it from UK. Recieved it today and looks fantastic. I have to put it in the glovebox if this car has one :)

Car should be here at the end of this month. Can't wait to get it home.

15. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

The glove box door and all the mounting holes for the 36 box are still there. The box is repopped, I've seen them from $25-$50. They are plenty deep enough for magazines, lol.

16. mista

mista
    from Finland

Still waiting for this one to arrive.. First ETA was 25.. Then 26 and now 28th.. Can't wait to have it here. Hope i'll have it my garage in the beginning of the next week then..

17. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Ok you've got her at her new home. How about some pics!

18. trad27

trad27

Been silently fallowing you build from the beginning. Big inspiration for my roadster, chevy 265, '39 box, banjo. Sad to hear you had to sell but good to hear it went to a good home and fellow hamber. Looking forward to hear updates on it. Glad to see you found something you can enjoy more, would really like to see a build thread.

19. mista

mista
    from Finland

Few pictures just to show the cars new home. I'll write more later since I'm at work now.

Attached Files:

20. Congrats man! Glad you finally have it.

21. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

That truck is so badazz!
    Happily, I got to drive it at Relix last summer & I think Scott did a great job on building it.
    You got a very good deal sir, I hope you enjoy the heck out of it!

22. mista

mista
    from Finland

I will enjoy it for sure. Seeing it live made me realize that this car is hotrod at its best. Real deal. Started to take some dents off with hammer and dolly just to see what can be done. Before and after pictures of cab corner. I'll start my own thread maybe but for now I'll post them here just to continue the story and keep all info in same place.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and waxhead like this.
  23. mista

mista
    from Finland

One quick tech question about the brakes..

I'm not sure yet that do we need to have E brake or handbrake (whatever you wan't to call it) to get it registrated but since this car has a 40 Juice brakes that i know nothing about, are these equipped with e brake in the original car or did those come later?

I'm just thinking can these brakes be equipped with e brake just by adding some missing parts or has there even ever been an e brake in this setup.. ?

I also sent email to macs autoparts to sort out what kind of parts i need to get the original style door locks, latches, rod between latch and the lever etc.. Since i cant fit side windows with the bear claw type latches.. They are way too big and in wrong place to fit the windows. That is just because in Finland summer is mostly full of sh*t. Cold and rainy. I Have already the window channel kit: http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...tml?crosssell=Homepage_Featured_Category_Door

So as soon as i sort out the latches, locks etc i can install window seals and try to make a template of the windows out of the cardboard or thin plywood etc. and order window glasses to be cutted.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

The e-brake can be easily added to the rears without too much trouble. The rear cables & a handle can be found easily. The levers inside the rear drums are the hardest of all the parts to get.

A couple of swap meets or surfing the ads here should do it for you.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  25. redzula

redzula

My vote is to keep the thread here. That way people can see the whole build up in one place. At the very least post the new thread link here so we can all find it.

26. mista

mista
    from Finland

What car are these juice brakes actually taken of? Since 40 juice brakes don't say anything to me. Swapmeets here in Finland.. Well I think it hard to find those parts here at swapmeets but I'll check the eBay or something..

I'll keep posting here if Scott has nothing against it since I appreciate the history of this car and it's more convenient to read the whole story here as you said..

Has these Model As even had an e-brake originally?

27. v-v

v-v
    from Finland

-40 brakes is usually ment -40-48 ford brakes. I can get you some pictures about my brakes. And yes model A have e-brake orginally

28. mista

mista
    from Finland

Thanks. Pictures would help alot.

29. mista

mista
    from Finland

I've been checking out some pictures of these brakes on Google and checked the brake backing plates on my rear axle and they don't have the notch where the e-brake cables are attached. So i guess these plates are front ones. I have same plates on front and rear. Well that is not a problem since i can drill holes and make them fit if the e-brake activators or levers fit these front plates as well. I have to do some research on these.. Diffrence between 40 juice brake front and rear back plates.

30. mista

mista
    from Finland

Going to wrong direction disassembling the car.. Still have to take the engine out and I would be closer for boxing the frame.

Attached Files: