Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lame power plants.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stubbsrodandcustom, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454489012.865655.jpg
    336 cubic inches of
    Same
    Boring
    Crap

Saxman, Ron Brown, volvobrynk and 3 others like this.
  2. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

283/195HP 800_1940_Ford_Coupe.006.jpg

Saxman, volvobrynk and i.rant like this.
  3. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Old school lame.

[​IMG]

4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

[​IMG]

305 ci Ford six.

Because it is the best kept secret in drag racing.

5. roundvalley

roundvalley

Go small. Gaylon roadster 002.JPG

waxhead and Ron Brown like this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love the cool and done up engines when am looking at them and taking photos of them but having lived in Texas for the first 8 years I was married I can understand why The OP sees a lot of belly button rather simple engines in the rods down there. Those are the ones that often do several hundred miles in a weekend going to events and often do a lot of miles just because there is good barbecue or catfish joint over -----------> a hundred or so miles and lets jump in the rod and go.
    Guys who were into rods in Texas in the 70's will Remember Johnny From Waco with his blue 40 Ford Sedan with a small block in it who did such crazy things as drive from Waco to Tulsa and back in one day in 1973 and later drove to a rod run in the Rio Grande Valley and back in one day. The car ran a very mild small block and I don't remember seeing under the hood in all the time I knew him but he went somewhere every weekend and often put a thousand miles on the car in one day.

7. Sorry-I am not understanding the OP's correlation of the SBC to 'lame'

8. SR100

SR100

I think it goes beyond being the default choice, which the SBC often is. There doesn't appear to be any thought put into the cookie-cutter engines he describes. I watched part of the Barrett-Jackson coverage the last week. The most common engine description (for the segments I saw) was "ZZ-4 crate motor." They had the same catalog billet accessories and 'lame' sums up my impression of them. The OP wasn't ripping on the SBC as an engine. If you put thought and energy into your engine choice, or run a particular engine out of necessity, he wasn't talking about you.

9. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

After thinking about this for a while I wonder if it isnt the person rather than the engine.Let me explain that statement.Example A-Guy is having a car built,tells builder to use 350 crate engine "because its cheap". IMO a perfect example of lameness.Example B-guy is building a car,doesnt have much money-like as in not eating lunch to save that money for his car-his buddy finds a 305 chevy(fill in number you prefer) he can get for little or nothing.He does what he can to pretty the engine up and make it his. IMO a perfect example of coolness. Does this make any sense to anyone but me?

10. Is it any diffent than why you use a Ford 9"?

11. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

IMHO it's largely a question of focal point. I was blown away on learning recently that Ron Dunn's 50 Ford coupe, sectioned by Valley Custom, had a FLATHEAD (straight) 6 cylinder Ford engine. It was a very well kept (dirty little) secret for many years. I don't recall ever seeing that fact disclosed back in the day (but I do suffer from CAR CRAFT). The "focus" of Ron's splendid custom was the fabulously executed section job so the choice of engine was irrelevant. In an open engine compartment hot rod engine choice is a more important factor since it is often the focus of the car. It's also a question of what's "expected". If a 40 Ford is built in traditional style, you expect a flathead or early OHV.
    A fuel injected late model engine might seem a bit out of place. Although a complete "about face" (traditional 32 roadster - whether highboy or channeled, with or without fenders - with a 4.6 Modular Fomoco or Cad Northstar) can have plenty of "WOW" appeal. Finally, how well integrated is the engine in the car? Does it look like a very well planned and executed modification or does it appear slobbered together just because it was swatted (SWAT = "Sell What's Available Today")? To end my rant (this thread has sharpened my senses on this point - thanks HAMB), that's what has often bothered me about many ISCA and AMBR cars - there's no focal point or better yet, there are so many focal points, each trying to outdo the other, that the result is sensory overload and you can't appreciate the car as a unified whole. Just saying.

12. D-Ozzie

D-Ozzie

Am I mistaken, or does a certain olive green deuce roadster built by a certain Daryl Hollenbeck have a lame, run-of-the-mill, belly-button power plant? I heard some of you folks on the west coast thought that car was pretty good. At least he had the decency to cover it with a full hood.

Just sayin'.

Born a HotRodGal likes this.
  13. Fully prepared Edelbrock engine. Is that the "Vic guy" that was a hot rod pioneer?

Born a HotRodGal and hipster like this.
  14. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

Its lame and probably OT but its still in a 57 roadster 000_1011.JPG

loudbang and Nailhead Jason like this.
  15. RmK57

RmK57

One thing I can't understand is why people would swap a sbc into a 55 and up Ford. The rear sump pan is wrong, motor mounts, steering, radiator outlets,
    Exhaust........I'm sure there's more. While a small block or FE pretty much fall
    right in.
    After your finished and may want to sell your left with some abortion that would leave most prospective buyers turned off.

Mine has a 514, looks right at home in there.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454600281.197083.jpg

Fingers, loudbang, i.rant and 3 others like this.
  16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

HAMB definition of lame: Rodabillies trying to build "cred" by calling small block chevies lame.

17. LOL I personally think that there are no lame motors, just lame motor owners. ;)

slack, hipster, young'n'poor and 4 others like this.
  18. loudbang likes this.
  19. Yep, here's a LAME SBC, of course it just won the AMBR and most on here are drooling all over it. americas-most-beautiful-roadster-1932-ford-hollenbeck--cjv1188.jpg

Maybe the OP should have said "Show us your unusual or different powerplants" instead of insulting the most used engine in hot rodding since 1956. And NO I'm not defending my personal choice, I do not own a hot rod with an SBC (Although I've had a few in the past, it is not my first choice by any means). Think before you start a thread unless you really just like the drama.

loudbang, AHotRod and volvobrynk like this.
  20. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I like different things....

Chevy Motor 2.jpg

Fingers, i.rant, volvobrynk and 2 others like this.
  21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This is the absolute truth. I keep looking at this thread expecting to see a "Lame" engine. Haven't seen one yet. Would somebody please post a picture of a "Lame" engine so that I will know one when I see it.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Here you go...Well, ok, maybe this is past lame and closer to dead...:p
    [​IMG]

Montana1 likes this.
  23. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Here's my lame 327.
    new_engine6.jpg

slack, Montana1 and Sporty45 like this.
  24. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

25. I don't use it because it's cheap. Don't use it because I just happen to have one laying around but I really want something else. I build a SBC because I grew up with SBC Chevys, it's traditional and it's a damn fine engine. I don't really give a rat's ass about belly-buttons or make any apologies. Don't like 'em? Don't look at 'em.

Lame is worrying about what everyone else thinks, like a danged teenager.

EDIT: Well dammit, I just re-read the OPs post. I was thinking he was bagging on the SBC in general but he was basically referring to 350/350 combos or LS motors. While I wouldn't go so far as to call them "lame" I would agree that it is often less than exciting as they so common. LS motor is not my cup of tea but if a 350 is built right and/or dressed right they can be cool in my book. A 327 or a 283 could never be lame.

Now, dressing your 327 to look like a new 350 crate motor might be lame. :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    crminal likes this.
  26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Belly button 355, down to the ubiquitous performer RPM, EASY 400hp and 400ft lbs, runs to 7K without missing a beat, "Minicks" the radials from a slow roll, and you can buy the parts at Wal-Mart...
    [​IMG]
    Already cost me an arm and two legs, hunting parts for two years, nowhere near done yet, 325-350hp on its best day, and even with a solid cam, it'll nose over about 6200...
    [​IMG]
    so you tell me...

27. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

28. 48SuperConvert

48SuperConvert
    from Seattle

I love a well done SBC and have had many but I went with what came with my Buick !!! 20160203_134320.jpg

slack, i.rant, Katuna and 6 others like this.
  29. Sporty45

Sporty45

That's the lamest SBC I've ever seen, you should send it to me and I will see that it is disposed of properly! :p

Hotrodmyk likes this.