Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects tonight i made a bracket for my new brake light switch...all i have to do is extend the original wir

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobalt333, Feb 2, 2016.

1. tonight i made a bracket for my new brake light switch...all i have to do is extend the original wires to it...mark another thing i had no clue how to do done... ;/

Attached Files:

RICH B likes this.
  2. RMONTY

RMONTY

Looks like it came out just like you planned....solid work!

3. looks like it should function nicely keep trying stuff thats how we learn Hobo Jim

4. chargin03

chargin03

5. isn't that switch backwards?
    doesn't it open when pushed?

RICH B likes this.
  6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Good job.. I like making things...

7. I was thinking the same thing, those switches are open when released and close when pushed.
    switch.jpg

8. badshifter

badshifter

It's definitely backwards, and the little arm extension on the end will come loose in a short time. What we all mean by backwards is, the switch should be in your case on the FRONT side of the pedal, pressed while at rest, and release when you step on the brakes. Those arm switches are primarily made for floor mount pedals. A conventional push button brake switch, or in line pressure switch would be easier to install.

9. figures....never right the first time... can someone post a part number for that switch that would work with these after market fire wall mounted brake booster hanging pedal setup I bought... thanks

10. aaggie

aaggie

It would be easier to use a pressure switch spliced into a brake line. Buy a good one from NAPA.

11. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Don't the later Ford switches mount onto the pin. Not to familiar with them but seem to remember they mount onto the brake pushrod somehow.
    Hopefully somebody with more Ford knowledge can chime in.

12. when you say inline pressure switch is it the 3 pic im showing or can something be put in the second pic like pic 1?

Attached Files:

13. 270ci

270ci

Pic #1 is what you want. It's a simple pressure switch that you screw it into a "T" fitting installed in a brake line coming out of your master, or anywhere in the system that's convenient, but not downstream of any residual pressure valve, if you have any in your system. When it sees a little pressure from the master cylinder, it will make the contacts and your brake lights will come on, if it's wired correctly.

14. phat rat

phat rat

Use one like this. It mounts on the backside of the pedal, toward the driver. It's GM from 1953 to 91 and readily available most anywhere. Button out lights are on. These last forever

Attached Files:

cobalt333, tb33anda3rd and RICH B like this.
  15. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

+1 on using this switch. The in-line pressure switches are prone to leaking after a while.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. well that answered a question...I was about to ask if ....
    could i just screw this one into one of the capped master brake booster ports on the other side? or no? they have them on both sides so you can run brake lines off of either side

Attached Files:

• BB.jpg
      BB.jpg
      File size:
      67.5 KB
      Views:
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just about now the conflicting wiring advice will start. Bob

18. yes, you will need an adapter.

19. because that wont screw in it? is it a different size than the port? so if I did this I would have to get a brass fitting with a male and a female end the male to the brake booster port and the female for this switch to screw into? or is it something else?

20. yes the master should have threads and a seat for a steel line fitting, the brake switch has 1/8 pipe threads. if you take the plug with you to the part store they will get you the right fitting.

21. Doubt that there is a fitting that would go directly from whatever inverted flare size the master has to 1/8" female NPT , and if you end up stacking up fittings to make it fit, it will likely be place to trap air.
    GM electric switch would be easy; but if you prefer the hyd switch, plumb it in downstream somewhere.

22. rfraze

rfraze

Look at Danchuk catalogue for 57 Chev button type switch which mounts against the back of brake pedal arm. It turns on when pedal moves away from switch allowing button to come out.

cobalt333 likes this.
  23. phat rat

phat rat

that's in #14

cobalt333 likes this.
  24. rfraze

rfraze

Missed that one. He might not know about the Danchuk catalogue.

25. i had a 55 chev sport coupe in high school :) i know them

26. clem

clem

Install this and be prepared to replace it on a regular basis........
    After 11 years of replacing mine every 1000 km approximately, I am now changing to the one in the next post down.
    Personally I would just adjust the one that you have done.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  27. clem

clem

Install one like this and you will only do it once....
    Do a search on here and see the general consensus.

cobalt333 likes this.
  28. done deal i ordered the button type that mounts in front of the pedal...thanks

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  29. by "in front" you mean, on the side closest to the driver seat.