Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Altered in progress

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mrhp, Jan 23, 2016.

1. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

as any open wheel car jocky or scooter rider knows, no matter how fast you go, it still seems damn fast. notice how many door cars do 11's. they think that is fast don't they? in an open car it will feel like 9's. until you get bored and need to go faster. i drive a bantam too, but very slowly. flathead powered. my brother has a 10.90 23t sbf powered altered and when i drive it, it feels like all hell brakes loose at the launch.. nice looking car you have too.
    ALTEREDS RULE--LONG LIVE ALTEREDS--ANY KIND

loudbang, mrhp and pnevells like this.
  2. Cool Altered! Good luck with the rest of the build.

mrhp likes this.
  3. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

Fan freaking tastic!

mrhp likes this.
  4. pnevells

pnevells

There is not much better than an open cockpit drag ride , I have driven dragsters front and rear engined and altereds, The FED and the altered are the most fun to drive. I was tryng to explain this to my son as he prepared for his first open cockpit pass in our Altered, He went 83 MPH and thought he was going 200, the look on his face was priceless IMG_4284.JPG

5. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

pnevells, i can't tell you how much i love your car!! the one i built my brothers is similar but the body isn't cut for the tires and the cage is different. it's also shorter. left click the pic for full size.
    [​IMG]

mrhp and pnevells like this.
  6. pnevells

pnevells

It has been such a fun project, took three year to build it with my son, We both get to drive it and it is pretty low maintenance and runs great. IMG_1251.JPG

OFT, mike bowling, T-roaster and 3 others like this.
  7. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

Great looking car pnevells. You have what I am looking for. Runs great and low maintenance. Love the action shots!

8. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

I got the motor fired today, went off without a hitch. Runs fantastic! I will try to get a video of it running. My 12 year old boy will have to help me with that though. Life is good.

saltflats likes this.
  9. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

Here for engine start up.

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

The engine is 'Spot-On" ..... just got to love a blower

loudbang and mrhp like this.
  11. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

Will be on the dyno next Thurs/Friday. Will update more info as I get it. Hope it goes well.

12. sc5080

sc5080

13. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

Engine is on the dyno, will be making power sometime after 9 am tomorrow. Will update how it goes.

14. loudbang

loudbang

Wow just found your build thread and it is great love altereds. That blown "W" engine revs just like a supercharged engine should. :p

15. Sounds REALLY good! One thought on the diaper question, even if it's not required, it could save your bacon by keeping oil off the track if the bottom end ever lets go.

16. That's one Bitch'n Bucket, the only way to do a Bucket T is turn it into an Altered. Love the car, great job.

mad mikey and pnevells like this.
  17. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

552 horse at 5900 and 534 torque at 4400. Not one adjustment needed to fuel or timing. It ran so good the dyno operators said they would not adjust a f ing thing. For a mild street strip 380 inch motor, I couldn't be happier. Should move the Bantam pretty good.

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You guys are killing me ! My project altered is collecting dust until I get this damn rpu on the road. Can't wait to run down the 1/4 again ! Your engine looks and sounds great.
    [​IMG]

Don

19. That WILL be loads of fun. Congrats a running motor is a big moment in a build.

FYI the Meltdown is one great event as either spectator or participant, but may be closed to further entries for 2016. They cap it at 450 cars.

mrhp likes this.
  20. I have an engine diaper, fire system and other safety features on my racecar that are not required... Unless you need them... More safety is always better like blow fuel said. Awesome build, awesome looking car. Definitely jealous.

loudbang likes this.
  21. old sparks

old sparks

Say you hand the tech inspector a tech card that is totally blank and you have the bare minimum safety stuff and he`s having a bad day, what`s going to happen ? That`s when a diaper will come in handy

loudbang likes this.
  22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Some good advice from the guys. Best to get a rule book from whatever sanctioning body track you plan to race at (NHRA or IHRA). I see you have slip on header collectors; they are requiring an added on retention device now so collectors/extensions can't fall/slip off. My experience with my short wheel based, 120 inch WB, FED in the late 70's/early 80's, was to NOT throw the trans into neutral after a run; makes the rear tires start to bounce, and with each hit of the brakes it gets worse, so use running engine braking/deceleration. Did't have that issue with the RED that followed, but it was also almost twice as long of WB. The almost weekly rules/safety equipment changes is what drove me back into Classic Chevrolet's; well that and the first Neurosurgeon having a fit after he found out I was still racing. There have been four other neurosurgeons since, and none of them have made the same "demand" regarding my hobbies. Now I'm building a way slower drag car, once it's in your blood.......................................................................
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  23. Roothawg

Roothawg

24. pnevells

pnevells

Hi Don, Good motivation to get the Altered done, finally could open the garage door yesterday,it was almost 60

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  25. pnevells

pnevells

Thanks, We built an altered because the garage was too short for a dragster but am so glad we built the altered hilltown-1.jpg

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Paul, you are one of the guys who keep me wanting to get mine built ! You and your Son are having WAY too much fun out there and I want a piece of the action. :D

Don

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  27. yruhot

yruhot

Love the logic.lol.

loudbang likes this.
  28. The engine sounded great and also performed great, that gets the juices flowing.

loudbang and mrhp like this.
  29. Sounds fantastic! Blower motors RULE!:D:cool:

jnaki, loudbang and mrhp like this.
  30. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    I'm building one of them Altered things too. A steel Bantam coupe.

rod1, T-roaster, AHotRod and 4 others like this.