Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Why don't you build one? The only thing better than a Hemi, is one without push rods

powrshftr likes this.
  2. Should
    Of
    Had a
    Cammer

loudbang and powrshftr like this.
  3. powrshftr

powrshftr

I thought I was going to have to pump the brakes there when you said you were "Just thinking about my Son...."

I'm glad you went the "clean air" route instead of the "Father O'Malley" route that I was expecting when I read "thinking about your Son"....

And he will be polluting the air with cars and bikes of his own when he's old enough.Whatever pollution you don't make with your environmentally friendly "MoPrius",he'll make up for with his stuff.

Scott

loudbang likes this.
  4. The guys that crashed were the guys making repo cammer parts. They folded everything up shortly after. Taking with them the much needed diversity in class. And the parts for others. It is a little known fact mopar also had a dohc engine. Nascar took one look and said hell no.

loudbang likes this.
  5. powrshftr

powrshftr

A guy had one in his trailer at the 2014 Meltdown.He was a hoot!:)

6. powrshftr

powrshftr

We're all just over here wondering why everything you talk about has to turn into mega-dollar nitro fuelled pie in the sky...?
    You can talk til you're blue in the face (which,experience has proven,you will),but the fact remains,how many guys on this thread,or even guys who any of us know,have ever,or will ever run nitromethane?
    About 1%.
    We don't care that a Cammer blew up on nitro,we don't care that your car is unGodly fast,we don't care about the stats you are inevitably going to quote about Chrysler hemis in top fuel racing,and we don't care that you have a radio in your Nitro-fuelled car.
    Is that for when you drive it to Sam's on Friday night with the rest of the street cars?;)

Just come out and have fun with the rest of us blue collar shmoes.....Its a lot more fun when you don't try to price everything out of the average guy's reach.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Your getting all worked up scott. I think you need a time out. I think you owe salt flats a appology. He asked about the crash.

8. powrshftr

powrshftr

Not worked up.Just annoyed.

Well,I was a little worked up when you mentioned my boy,but you turned out to not be going down the road I thought you were.Thats lucky.;)

Now I'm just back to being nauseated by your constant "wisdom" that gets bestowed upon us peons.

I don't owe James anything but some thanks for those bitchin shear plates he sent me for my intake.

9. Next time i will run everything through the scott filter even if your not part of the conversation. I would never bring anyones kids into a negative conversation or for that matter anyones recently deceased father. Those would be real dickhead commments.

loudbang likes this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

No one better apologize to me I will call them a weenie.

loudbang and powrshftr like this.
  11. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

What do you need....that was a BBC?

12. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Jeff, sorry about the bad news but I suspect next year you will have one heck of a motor together.

Jon

powrshftr likes this.
  13. powrshftr

powrshftr

Jon,

I'm trying to talk him into just putting blower Pistons in his current motor,and not changing another thing on it except adding the blower.
    He could probably have it together fast and cheap that way,but I think he's gonna play it safe and stick with last year's motor...After all,it had enough power to demo that rear ended and driveshaft.:)

Scott

14. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Big Drag-

I bought a used blown abc that hasn't seen the light of day since the 80's...it has all cool vintage old parts like a Cragar intake, etc.

Unfortunately there must have been a reason it was put off to the side a long time ago...the pistons and heads decided to have a little fight...

Scott is doing his best to influence me, but I think I am just going to keep the current motor as it is. It is a nice hard running little 327 and I would rather keep it as it is then mess around with it.

Now that I have the rear-end all beefed up, I should be able to launch it pretty good and maybe even sneak into the 11's...

loudbang, Tickety Boo and powrshftr like this.
  15. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Thank you Jon...I will save a few extra bucks and make sure that it can hunt Falcon in 2017

loudbang and Falcon Gasser like this.
  16. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Sounds good Smoothy...I am going to have to start making stickers like the pilots did in WW2 for how many zero's they shot down...mine will just be little blue ford ovals with a tear coming out of the corner...

17. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Sorry to hear about the blower engine being hurt, funny how they look so good on the outside. Hopefully the rest of the parts are useable.....sounds like a neat vintage engine.
    In a moment of weakness I fell into the Ebay trap a few years ago, ended up buying a used race BBC engine out of a R.E.D. comp car. 454 with 1966 427 hi-perf heads, I paid $1,800 and a trip to St.Louis. I was interested in the heads, they are in fact 1966 heads but not a matched pair date code wise. The engine turned out ok but needs a complete rebuild it's been sitting in a corner ever since.

18. image.jpeg We've been waging our own war on weight! Who needs all this wheel stud and washer with magnesium rear wheels. New on the left, old on the right. Another 1/4 pound or so shed! Serious weight trimming up in here ya'll

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  19. Smoothy

Smoothy

Well I guess if you'd just take 1 ounce out of 1600 places you'll have dropped 100 pounds, I once had the suggestion of drilling out bolts to make them hollow

20. I wondered what happened to the Bach and Gould dragster. It sure is a shame to see it ended up wrecked. I was hoping it was mothballed some place waiting for the right time to re-appear.

21. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Is this our version of "deflate gate".... Let's get some life back in here.

Ric- what's new with the child? Is it going to make it this year?

22. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Nothing like some tire smoke to clear the air. The best 10 seconds of Meltdown 2015...?

loudbang, 30dodgeboy and Scottrodsllc like this.
  23. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

.585/.595, it's a little bigger then what I had before but the magic is with the rest of the design so they tell me Lol!! This one is a custom grind compared to the off the shelf one I have been running.

Jon

loudbang, powrshftr and Tickety Boo like this.
  24. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

Looks like those border bandits are getting to you too.

25. Far as I know, we'll be there. We should finally be moved to North Carolina by spring, so I think we're good. I made some adjustable front end limiters to tighten the travel and pic up the 60'/carry the front wheels better, and made a proper piece of carb linkage to ensure full throttle, which I'm pretty sure will help too! New clutch master cyl. Rod length, so we can keep backing the hat off. Scored a spare 3.06 low Jerico & shifter, put some 4.88's out back, and modified the wheelie bars for more adjustment. We'll stick with Marc's pump gas engine for this year, so hoping for mid 10's @ 125-130mph & getting to make way more runs. We might be about 50 lbs lighter this year as well. Part of me would love to lighten the crap out of it aka "Scarelane" and "Shenanigans", as the car has been a race car most of its life, and should have probably morphed that way in its travels.., make it a player in SEG A/G. Part of me though, doesn't want to cut it up any more than it already is, just settle for 2800-2900 lbs and mid 9's with the new engine, in C/G or maybe B/G if another class is added @ say 7lbs. per inch. We'd like to strip the multiple layers of paint n primer at some point and repainted/ letter it too. What would you guys do

26. Hit that nail on the head! Marc and I've talked about a lighter/smaller Anglia, but the '56 could be an A/G "shot caller" if we put it on a serious diet. Since the '56 is what I've always wanted, it's really tempting. My nephew owns J Ed Hortons chassis place in SC, and Quain has offered some help too, so it wouldn't be too hard I'm thinking.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    55belairx2 likes this.
  27. .., PS. I'm trying to convince myself rebuilding the '56 would be cheaper than buying & building an Anglia too. I've been told that Porters 55 is 2800 with him, but have no idea if that's true.

28. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

It's a tough call. I really dig the car as is its one of my favorites. I would say go with the anglia then you can do a full build with the end goal of weight in mind. Going forward I'm focused on weight might be to late though. I'm waiting on Quain to rally up the SEG b/g class cause I spent to much on blower stuff to not to put it on. When that happens I think that heavy Chevy should join mine with a blower.

55belairx2 likes this.
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you really want a 56 and you have one Hmmm

30. .., yep, pretty much obvious what to do, ain't it Salty. Hey Marc, you listening?