Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A 1933 Ford 5w coupe from a 4 door sedan...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fordgasser1, Jun 4, 2011.

1. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I have found that the gear on the lower shaft is usually where it should be. I measure the depth of the difference between the two gears with a digital caliper. Then make a splined shim from an old 6 spline coupler to the exact thickness needed. Put that behind the upper gear and your good to go. If you need me to make you one, just send me the thickness dimension. Should be under $100 including shipping!;)

2. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I thought the same thing too but they really aren't! I've done a bunch of other rear ends and setting this one up is this same as any other rear..Bearing preloads,back lash. etc. are the same things you need to measure in any rear just in a slightly different manner.

skatermann likes this.
  3. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Yeah, my lower gear looks to be right on the money. The upper gear has all the play..I was thinking about doing the same thing..cut off an end of a 6 spline coupler , cut it down on the lathe for a spacer..
    I've read that some place a thrust washer between the cover and the gears..Is this necessary?

4. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Sorry, no progress to report on the QC rear due to the 2 feet of snow we received has kept me busy. Now that the roads have cleared,I found time to take a road trip this Sunday..A few weeks ago I met a really nice guy who said he had a huge collection of early Ford parts and flathead speed equipment he had been collecting for some time. He started rattling off what he had and I couldn't believe my ears!Hundreds of rare flathead intakes and heads,cams,ignitions,bodies and whole cars!..Some parts I'd heard of and some I haven't but I was beginning to think this guy was full of crap. No one owns all this stuff! Anyhow,when he finished with the list there was one name absent in all the speed equipment he mentioned..So, I figured I'd ask,"Got any Arduns?" He replies, "Oh Yeah,I have two complete pairs of original heads,two valley covers and a hand built tripower intake.".. All I could say was WOW!..Then my next question.."Are they for sale?"..He said,"Yes"..The rest is history! checked out the collection yesterday and was there for hours looking at all his great stuff..We made a deal on the Arduns and another 33 grille for the coupe. Here they are! ardun 019.JPG

mrjim, wedjim, cadillacoffin and 6 others like this.
  5. Holy shit George!!!!!! Did he have the holly grail too!?? That is freaking awesome! Please put a set on your coupe!!!!

kidcampbell71 and Fordgasser1 like this.
  6. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

That is the score of the year! Great find!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  7. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Wow!! Great find! CONGRATULATIONS!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  8. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

You are an animal.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  9. I thought Bob Whitehead had all the flathead parts in the world when I saw his stuff. But he had only one Ardun engine on a stand and it was sold, not two "extra" sets of heads lying around. Sounds like you made a great score there, Gasser!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  10. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

He probably does have the grail but I didn't see it with all the parts! Yes, I'm thinking a set will go on the coupe and I'll sell the other set to recoup some money for the Scott Supercharger!
    Thanks SS34 and 39guy!

What could I do Ray? Let them sit there collecting dust? I rescued them and I'll put them to good use at Jalopy Showdown,Pure Drags etc.

I don't know Mr. Whitehead but if this guy put his stuff on display it would be bigger than any museum I've been to. He's insane..Thanks

11. pumpman

pumpman

Man, I'm lost for words. Man.

12. so what are you gonna do with the old super charger on your coupe???? keep me in the loop if you're gonna unload it!

13. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

PM me..Its for sale..Won't work with the Arduns.

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Wow hand made 5w with Arduns and supercharger! Insane George.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  15. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

If I can accomplish all this I'll have built the car I've always dreamed of owning.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  16. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

I am absolutely blown away by all the work. effort. and skill and planning in this project. fantastic!!

17. You should see it in person. I saw it at TROG and its freaking awesome. I had to change my shirt from drooling all over it. One of my favorite 33 34's ever.

onekoolkat1950 likes this.
  18. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Fantastic score. More pics please!!! I like to hear from the experts on whether these were from the 1st batch, 2nd batch, etc...

Did you get a cam with this setup also? I see the isky box, but more importantly, it looks like you scored an early set of roller lifters?!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  19. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

20. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

These are a later batch if you go by the numbers stamped on them. .I got a roller cam and new isky springs plus a bunch more extra stuff not shown..Yeah,those early rollers are way cool and the original Ardun lifters too!

21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Bet your glad you didn't sell it now.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  22. Cool, love that tripower intake.
    Al.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  23. Mart

Mart

Blimey, George, you find all the good stuff.

mart.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  24. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

I've got nothing to say, speechless.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  25. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Sure I am Wyatt,but there are other projects in the works already!

Me too..I wonder if it was a U-Fab kit or just something made up.
    Thanks Mart,I get lucky sometimes.

when I saw these the first time I was the same way.

thommoina33 likes this.
  26. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

bttt , you will have on the road in no TIME --- you are THE -MAN -- HAVE - FUN-- ITS A - LABOR OF -- LLLLOOOVVVVEEEEEE -- O - YA :D:D:D:D:D IT IS A BAD - ASS - CAR --:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  27. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks JimmyD!

28. This is truly the car of my dreams, congrats on such a beautiful car

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  29. These are both the 2nd production design. The first design that went into production had the water outlets exiting the front/back faces of the heads.

Lucky for you, you still have one of the often missing "Made in England" tags. Don't damage it; they are not reproduced.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  30. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thank you harley jim!

I'm surprised no one is remaking the tags yet.

racer-john likes this.