Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical buick engines question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Jan 30, 2016.

1. i am gathering parts for a 31 buick 3w coupe project and have found a '67 430 buick engine. i really want to put a nailhead engine in it. my questions are;
    Will the nailhead bolt up to the 67 400 tranny?
    are the flex plates the same?
    how close would the motor mounts be?
    does any body have a measurement from the back of the block to the center of the motor mount?
    how much bigger is the 430?

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I do know the bolt pattern for the trans is different

3. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

If you are still looking for a nailhead I have a 1955 322 4bbl engine in NY, about 45 minutes from Danbury. It is from a 1955 century.

4. squirrel

squirrel

They're quite different engines...they were both made by Buick, but that's about where the similarity ends.

5. 55willys

55willys

No, the Nailhead bell housing is specific to the Nailhead. They did have a turbo 400 trans 64-66 and some had the switch pitch that will pull like a freight train. Bendtsens makes adapters for modern trans if you can't find a Nailhead trans.
    http://www.transmissionadapters.com/

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

7. 6ft6

6ft6
    from Nevada

Unfortunately the 400 from a 430 won't bolt up. You will need a 1964-66 ST 400 1964-5 are more common. The 66 with the ribbed tail shaft area is the one you want because you can use the common th400 guts to rebuild it modify etc. Also the 66 st 400 accepts the th400 tail shaft housing so you can use the more common and plentiful slip yoke. Stick a nailhead in it!

8. i did not know that, thanks.

cool, what condition is it in? do you have a tranny?

hah, not like a chevy, i guess.

so i will swop the motor and tranny if i find one. is the turbo 400 switch pitch the same length?

me too, lots of smooth, torquey power. it was out of a 225 and could make that boat fly.

there is a small block chevy in it now but a nailhead would be a perfect fit for the car. it is a project coupe that has had many transformations in the past, i call the car "clint" because the work that was done to the car can be described as "the good, the bad and the ugly". it has a heavy channel, the wood has been replaced with steel, the top has been filled perfectly, the frame is painted, and has a gm factory 4 link rear [the good]. but it also has a pacer[?] front end, mismatched wheels, and is missing a deck lid [the bad]. the guy who did some of the bodywork was really talented and then there was this other hack, benttwistedhammeredglobbyspotweldnogrinderthatwillbefine guy that did some stuff.[the ugly].
    thanks for the info guys!

9. 6ft6

6ft6
    from Nevada

Sounds like a great project with a lot of great intentions look forward to following it! You should call the build "Clint"

~Matty

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. Just go nailhead from the start. You won't be sorry they are the sweetest motors. I'm putting a 425 nailhead in my 39 ford Tudor and piecing a 401 together for my 51 Chevy. But then again, I love nailheads.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. have a 1966 425 buick and turbo 400 style transmission to put in my 33 chev 3 window
    saving my sheckles though to buy the speed gems manual conversion
    I hate 30 percent !!!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. The speed gems manual set up is really nice. Well worth the bucks.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  13. swifty

swifty

Any details on the Speed Gems set-up? I've got a 401 Nailhead going into a 32-5w and I have to go manual as the ST400 wont fit thru the X-member.

14. Its just a really well made set up. I have heard Some of the other manufacturers that offer a stick bell housing set up the machining has been off and clutch problems but like I said thats what I heard. The speed gems stuff that I used was great. Went together perfect, looked great and truthfully the bell housing from speed gems / Bendtsen's was nicer and looked stronger than a stock bell housing. I'd use it again.