Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Father Son Project (1930 Model A 5 window build)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jake Sippl, Jan 20, 2016.

1. It looks like a hot rod........if you like that sort of thing......:rolleyes:

redzula and Jake Sippl like this.
  2. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

hope you're talking about the lake headers! because those are the ones that are staying!

3. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

I really like that at 3'. It fits the ''just enough but not too much'' catagory. It is for sure the magic number for this car!

4. mike bowling

mike bowling

There's a great thread on here that has pictures of Model A coupes ONLY, chopped, in increments of an inch; starts at 2" and goes to 7 or 8" I think. Excellent "visual" aid to people like me that need to see things rather than try to imagine them. Good luck with your new car- Have fun, be safe ( to a degree!)

5. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

sounds awesome, but where do I find such a thread?? that sounds like it'd be a great guide to see what different chops look like!

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Coupe looks great.. nice job..

7. spags

spags

Nicely done! Looks great.

8. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

9. dan31

dan31

HA , yeah i was talking about the lake style headers.

10. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Hey...I like that little car!...the direction you are going with it, is thumbs up! Can't wait to see the end results...it's gonna be fun!:)---Ray

Jake Sippl likes this.
  11. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

I really appreciate all the kind words thanks!

12. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

So I'm at a dilemma here. Should I keep the air cleaner or should I go with something else. I want to keep it period correct. Anyone got any ideas? And also I am in need of new valve covers. I also wanna stay period correct with these too.
    1453513704409.jpg 1453513722361.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  13. My avatar (Model A) is chopped 5", got decent head room, drove it +7,000 miles last summer with good visibility.

14. mike bowling

mike bowling

Chop thread was posted by "wex65"; "Model A coupes showing different chops"- #869524.
    I'd give you the link directly but I suck at using this G.D. computer!
    I'm a big fan of 3"- everything comes together nice and easy.

Air cleaner and valve covers? Steel (stock covers) painted up nice with STOCK decals ( so plain it's different), and another 4 bbl. so you can run a big assed scoop on top!

#1 (I'm NOT using the finned aluminum covers, mock up only (maybe)
    #2 stock parts are always "period correct"-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  15. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

16. dan31

dan31

Jake , i kinda like what you got . The m/t where very popular around my area in the 80s but I'm not sure how much earlier they were used.

17. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

My problem is I need the rubber gasket for the valve cover. I have the one for the cap but the one on the cover is missing so it leaks everywhere when driving.

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

should have a breather cap on both sides of engine or, add PCV to one with breather tube to base of air cleaner on the other. any good parts place will have valve cover breather seals. do covers have baffle plates in them? if not need to install or just replace covers with a different style that will go with the new air cleaner that you will be installing - No to the M/T covers. paint alternator black.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  19. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

one of the oil filler caps on the valve cover has a different rubber piece that doesn't seem to fit properly. the other side seems to fit better. both have rags that are getting oil on them.. the side that doesnt fit right soaks the rag then sprays oil all over the headers and the firewall. The side that seems to fit right gets the rag wet with oil but doesnt spray anywhere.

20. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Finally got a chance to go out there and take a proper picture of the car with the new headers. here she is:
    hot rod.jpg

Stogy, BradinNC and waxhead like this.
  21. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Great looking coupe. What are your plans for interior?

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Spittin' image of my high school car. (only mine was shiny black with a flathead, little taller in back)

Looks to be a trifle 'stretched' in front...What is your wheelbase now? (noted the frame surgery on rails and horns: nice job.) SBFs are lengthy vs. SBCs, as you are obviously aware...

Are you running a PCV valve? Crankcase pressure evacuation will arrest the leaking at your fill cap, when 'gasketed'...

micamountain likes this.
  23. mike bowling

mike bowling

Check for baffles inside the covers under the breather too- I was having the same problem, pulled the covers off, and the previous owner had either taken them off(???) or never put them on. Sucks when you've got a white firewall!

24. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

When I got the car it had some modern seats in it that scream ''street rod'' lol. I still have them in the car now since I don't have anything else at the moment. I really want to put a bench seat and ultimately some door panels that basically have this look to them. I don't want anything modern in there. I hate that look of new car seats in an old car.

Attached Files:

25. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

That's really cool, considering I graduated HS in 2013. The vehicle I drove in high school is actually what I'm currently daily driving now, a 2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ. I was fortunate in that my parents basically gave it to me to drive when I was in high school, and I ended up buying it from them when I graduated because I really wanted to modify it for off road fun and I got (and still am) huge into Jeeps.
    To be honest with you I'm not sure if the frame is stretched. I didn't do much to the frame aside from sanding it down, and painting it. I'm not sure what the stock dimensions are, but I'm currently around 103-104. I was by myself so I can't be ABSOLUTELY exact. But eyeballed, it's about 103-104.
    No I'm not running a PCV valve. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe I can run one with my current valve cover setup.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  26. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

If you change one valve cover topper to a pcv valve type, and run the hose to the bottom of the carb, it will work. The other should be a breather - integral filter (less clean for the motor) or (ugly) hose to bottom of air cleaner.

As long as you have vacuum via pcv valve, and air in, it will work.

In your case ( I think) switch the passenger breather to the driver side, buy a pcv valve type breather and hose for the passenger side, run hose to breather and carb - done.

27. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Just got my peep mirror installed today. I think it looks pretty cool. Debating on if it should stay. Opinions? Torn between this or a straight mirror.
    1454197627000.jpg
    1454197637031.jpg 1454197646136.jpg

Retson the Racer likes this.
  28. jays41willys

jays41willys
    from nj

hi nice car

Jake Sippl likes this.
  29. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

So I decided to grow a brain and check the obvious. Upon doing so I found that someone tried to re-machine the heads and ended up wobbling out the filler hole to the point where it isn't even close to being round anymore. I need new valve covers. Simple as that.

30. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

thank you sir!