Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Southern Employment Special, Insanity101

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Probably correct there are not support rods and only 2 bolts holding the rad in. Nothing to keep things lined up. We'll have to fix that. :D

2. Great project! Look forward to seeing more!

porknbeaner likes this.
  3. You surely have it yard driving by now... :D

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Or at least ready to be showing us what you have done :D
    I'll expect finished shots in a couple of weeks :D

5. LOL after Tuesday I am out of service for 3 months minimum. I am going to try and get my hood welded up at least prior to then though. :D

loudbang and Model T1 like this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hopefully we can time it right so I'm recovered enough to leave the house and take a photo of your hood before you go under the knife and can't mess with stuff for a while.

Lol who said it was the cars that got reworked during the winter lol.

loudbang likes this.
  7. 11194724_836081113140063_1446424472_o.jpg 11939925_894831047265069_38929400_o(1).jpg
    engine setback is good for the soul....

chessterd5 likes this.
  8. Is that a Simca or a Hillman? ^^^^^ About a '59?

I have been stuffing them as far as I was allowed as long as I can remember. With this one there are no rules other than my own. As I have said before many times they may not be good rules but they are my rules. LOL

@Tim I am going to try and get to it in the next day or two. Looks like we may be making a bat trip to Bonner/Leavenworth Saturday if you are up to it. ;)

Model T1 likes this.
  9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have not been following this thread. Until today. Corvair's came with TRW turbos. The tooling was sold to Ray Jay after the Corvair went away. However, if you wanted a larger turbocharger to convert to front drive. Some time ago a kid from two blocks away showed up at my house with his wagon carrying a GMC blower from an 8:92 Detroit diesel and the matching turbo. Said he found it over by the bus yard. Thought I might need it. I no longer have that blower. Too bad it was really cool. But I do still have the turbo. Never going to use it. It would look good as a Horse Power Engineering type of conversion.

loudbang likes this.
  10. All this time I thought that the Corvair had a Paxton. That was what we always called them obviously mistaken. I will keep the big turbo in mind, if I decide to overhaul the mill that is going between the frame rails I will build it with the turbo in mind. It would be a cool power adder for sure. ;)

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok, just read everything and I'm up to speed on the build, nice project. Bob

12. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

This is a fun one to follow! What are your plans for a radiator fan with the engine setback?

loudbang likes this.
  13. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I suppose he will run a reverse rotation mechanical one off the back of the upper rotor of the crank driven blower only seems right in my opinion lol

14. We are toying with several options, one of them was to put the radiator in the back with louvers, fans and a sheet metal scoop to get air to it. but we pretty much nixed that one, too weird even for me. LOL

So it is down to radiator in the grill shell with a shroud or move the radiator back leave the shell open and hide the difference with abbreviated hood sides. I am leaning toward the second option, either one will take a little sheet metal fabrication but it falls under the realm of every modification requires other modifications.

Part of the decision depends on what radiator I end up using. I got the A rad for sale because it is original and in pretty good shape. The grill shell is getting chopped to go along with the channel and if no one buys the A radiator I may sell all my other radiators to pay for getting the original chopped and pressurized. The in the grill shell with a shroud is the most obvious way to go.

If it sell (which I hope happens) I have three radiator options, a Willys Jeep radiator which can be boiled or rodded out. it will cool the small block just fine, and be short enough to fit in the chopped grill shell or can be moved back. That believe it or not is probably as traditional as chopping the A rad, they got used a lot in V8 swaps a long time ago.

I have got a new Mustang that would work too which is the new traditional and it would work either in the grill shell or moved back.

Or the radiator that would have landed in the back if we decided to do that is a new aluminum cross flow that may be narrow enough (I don't quite remember the dims) to fit between the rails. It would really cool the heap but I would need to lean more toward newstalgia and am not sure that it is necessary anyway.

man that was a mouthful. But now you know what I am up against everyday. Decisions decisions. :D

loudbang likes this.
  15. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Set back like that, you're getting into Snub Nose territory a bit, aren't you?
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=26750

[​IMG]

I had an Idea though, instead of shrouding from the radiator all the way back to the fan, you could put the fan where it should go in relation to the fan and build a tunnel from the opening of the stock located grille shell back to the radiator. I think that could be kinda neat.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. I think that the radiator is one of those things that will happen when it does and we'll say, "Well that's cool. ;) "

The guy in tat coupe must have really short legs or he is sitting in the trunck. LOL

Model T1 and patmanta like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Run it on alcohol and use the empty space where the rad would go to house your cooler ;)

18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I didn't see this filled in,so, that little blue car is a 100E English Ford Angla 58,We had one like it,our CC in the early 60s put a SBC 327 in one an it nearly killed every one that tryed to drive it=wheelbase was too short for that much power,so then we moved front axle out front an it was good then.

loudbang likes this.
  19. LOL we had a bug eye sprint that was almost undrivable in about '69. :D

Short wheelbase cars are rough to drive and some of them you just sort of point and hope for the best. I think that the crosleys get the axle in front of the grill for the same reason. That may be why the NHRA did the wheel base rule on Gassers in the later '60s. They were finally hooking up and couldn't be driven but your standard old Joe like us.

Model T1, loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

image.jpeg Sketching up a fun concept of my own model A sedan project I had to laugh thinking that if we were careful enough that the same description could be used for both cars though they will be so different!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. 11182187_10204151857898625_938055494533192434_n.jpg 1964163_613072115440965_646404217_n.jpg 1922964_613070298774480_936421450_n.jpg 11187864_834548033293371_898354040_o.jpg It's a '56 Anglia 100E. An old gasser from Cali. Does anyone remember this car? It was owned by Dennis Bryant in Canoga Park, Ca. He owned a shop called: Class and Color Auto Body. Later it was owned by 'Groucho.' It had an Olds & a Hydro in the early days. Sorry Beaner - didn't mean to high jack your thread.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  22. I would consider leaving the rad in the stock location. Bury a small elec fan in there and not worry about it.

rmcroadster and Tim like this.
  23. Don't sweat it, you haven't harmed anyone, there is always room for more performance. ;)

That also is an option, if I do decide to run electric I will probably run twin fans like I did on the pusher. One on a stat and one on a toggle for emergencies.

loudbang likes this.
  24. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I like where this is headed!

25. That makes two of us my young friend. Now if I can only manage to follow my own sage advice. ;)

young'n'poor and loudbang like this.
  26. pumpman

pumpman

Beaner, you know that the idea process is a zig zag line that when it's done it's straight as an arrow. I'm still in the zag mode on mine.

loudbang likes this.
  27. I have an old racing buddy that calls the build process "pioneering." I always start with a picture in my head but it is a pencil drawing so that if something doesn't work I can erase it and change it a little bit. LOL

I am currently in the Lewis and Clark mode here. I may be this way mostly frustrated and wishing I could move a little closer to my destination for a little while. But as long as I got Sacagawea by my side I'll be just fine. ;)

28. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

002 (4).JPG DejaVu292Y.jpg I kind of like using a small brace made off stainless steel 1/4 tubing or 5/16 as a rad support when there is no room for stock top V bars. This pic is with the 4bbl lower an then the 4x2 set ups, that takes up all the room on top. One of the rad. braces can be seen just behind the headlight in ether shot

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    leadfootloon and loudbang like this.
  29. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

Pork and Beaner Great looking A. I am also A Shade tree mechanic and proud of it. When I was running at U. S. -30 At Gary In. we had a guy who ran a simca with a small block chevy in it. He sit in the back seat. It ran fast and straight, most of the time. Set back motors rule. Don

30. well that block is empty, so things will change some but today Tim needed a wheel for mockup and I thought that I was going to have to stand on a frame rail so he could break the lugs loose. She is going to be real light in the loafers. ;)