Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Who Collects Magazines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454008308.760261.jpg
    I also have the binders that were made by Jesse jones industries and were sold mail order in the back pages of the magazines. (They're on the ledge behind the car) each hold one year and I have em for hot rod, rod and custom, car craft and street Rodder. They have not made them in years. Makes it pretty easy to find a certain issue when you need to,

Montana1 and Pinstriper40 like this.
  2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I remember those. Did you have to punch holes in the magazines to put them in like a three ring binder?

3. As well as early car mags like Honk, Rod & Custom, Hot Rod, etc, Dad used to collect bound (and loose) sets of Model Railroader and Model Craftsman from their beginning- had a set to read, a set to work with while building, and a set for "just in case"... the floor joists between the 2nd floor and attic bowed quite a bit in our house :D

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

no, there is a wire rod that goes in the center of the magazine that engages in a spring that runs side to side on top and bottom to hold the magazines in

falcongeorge and Speed Gems like this.
  5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Those sound ideal.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

8. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

If you put down the Playboys, maybe the Woodie Times would go away. Lol
    I've got a ton of magazines going back to the 60s. Hot Rod, R&C, Car Craft, Rod Action, and on and on.

9. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Well, this is a very interesting subject to me as I have been a collector/hoarder since I was a young squirt. I'm now over 70 and find that I have over 4000 mags squirreled away. Most every Hot Rod since '48, nearly every Rod & Custom, and most of the other car titles around. I have them all in either magazine boxes or in binders. They are each stored with a fabric softener sheet to keep them fresh and to keep away the other harmful things that happen to old mags.

Right now I am in Kauai, Hawaii helping my wife clean settle her sister's estate. We are now cleaning her house. I gave me a real slap in the face as I realized what a real pain in the ass this is as my sister-in-law was an "organized hoarder."! I DO NOT want my daughter to be responsible for cleaning up after me and have decided as soon as I get back to upstate NY that I am going start the task of paring down my collection in any way possible.

So, any of you other old guys out there, think about what happens once we take the last ride! While we get some satisfaction by having these old treasures, do we really want to saddle our wives/children with them? Think about it...

John N.

Fortress and williebill like this.
  10. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

OT, but I have every Playboy since January 1974.

11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Here's what I've saved since '57 ... well, some of it. Jan 28 Mags & kitties 025.JPG Jan 28 Mags & kitties 027.JPG

kidcampbell71 and LOU WELLS like this.
  12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'm going to shop around and see what I can find. Thanks for the tip Moriarty.

Moriarity likes this.
  13. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

image.jpeg image.jpeg The boxes I got online from Uline I believe, each box holds 100+ magazines.
    The smaller ones can be had at Office Max etc. I found these at IKEA, about $2 each,they come flat and you fold them up yourself. Both are sturdy and good value IMO.
    I've collected Hot Rod, R&C, Street Rodder, CC, CHP, Hemmings Classic Cars, HRD,and every issue of TRJ plus countless loose issues of other titles. I pass on to others my Hemmings and Old Cars Weekly along with GG Gazzettes.
    BTW there's plenty of old stuff in the classifieds (including mine) don't be afraid to make offers, the mags need to be "saved" also and I have a feeling many collectors have no one close to be the next caretakers.
    I told my wife it's important to me my books etc. go to a good home when I'm outta here.

williebill and brad2v like this.
  14. brad2v

brad2v

Mine also numbers in the thousands. I scored a retail magazine display stand (that I had to disassemble to get into the house) a while back that holds about half. the rest are squirrelled away on bookshelves and in banker's boxes. I also wonder from time to time what happens to all this shit when I pack it in.

15. I can relate. HRP

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    LOU WELLS, i.rant and brad2v like this.
  17. brad2v

brad2v

Wow, that is a spectacular resource. Ordering me another Christmas present tonight....

Moriarity likes this.
  18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Moriarity - amazing, Thanks for info - but, I will continue to thin out my stock pile when I sell at swap meets, etc. with online access to back issues or, find For Sale, I do not need to keep copies. better to help others find find stuff that they are looking for or, never knew that they needed it until they saw it.

Moriarity likes this.
  19. Aviator

Aviator

I have 4-5 hundred magazines that I would like to sell.

Speed Gems likes this.
  20. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I only buy B&W Hot Rod Magazine now.

21. 59 brook

59 brook

m i the only one who saved autobuff from the 80's?

22. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Autobuff? it sounds like an Hot Rod version of Easyrider.:D

falcongeorge likes this.
  23. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I have four or five big boxes full out in my shop. Haven't looked at them for years. Some early 50's and a bunch of different brands starting in the later part of the 50's. Many of the small half page format size. First year editions for Pop rod, etc.

24. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Basically, yes. Next door neighbor in school, "Ski" was nuts about a certain girl posed upon a Vega in an issue I had. "Can I borrow this for a while?" he says as he heads to the john. "Know what," I says, "just keep it."

25. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And once again Moriarity strolls in and makes us all look like slobs!

26. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I too have thousands.Packed away in boxes.No where to display them so they are next to the thousands of record albums which are next to the hundreds of repair manuals.
    Not a hoarder...nope...not me.

i.rant likes this.
  27. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Moriarity I think you cracked the door open a little so if I could I'd like to relate a short story.
    About 3 years ago I recognized Steve Coonan from TRJ and asked him if he recalled the email I had sent inquiring about the possibility of an index which could be updated yearly of each issue (for the lack of "total" recall)when trying to reference an earlier story or feature.
    He did say they had kicked the idea around and evidently it didn't make the cut. My thinking is even if it was on their website and not in printed form it would be a valuable tool for quick reference now that there are 68 issues and counting.
    I'm sure someone with computer skills much better than mine could whip this out in no time :rolleyes:, what do you think? Any legal issues?

Moriarity likes this.
  28. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

For what it's worth----I've got few magazines. Besides the usual Hop Up, Honk, R&C, Hot Rod etc. I've got most all of the Buckaroo magazines. WHAT I DONT IS #4 Rodders Journal---I've got all the rest. If any one has a copy of #4 they want to sell off----I'm interested. Bill Rinaldi

29. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I don't collect per se... I just haven't thrown any out... since 1969. Rod and Custom and the old Rod Action's with Tex Smith are still some of my fav's. Back then Brian Brennon was the youngster in the crowd, now he's editor at Street Rodder.

i.rant likes this.
  30. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Great idea i.rant I've seen magazine collections in the classifieds before but it says I have "insufficient privileges to reply here" but I did read Ryan's tutorial and it looks like you just need to start a private conversation with the seller.