Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Who Collects Magazines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I was going to make this a "Show Me Your" thread but I realize most guys have their collections packed away. Over Christmas I bought some new "old" magazines for my collection.

2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

3. squirrel

squirrel

I have not nearly enough old ones 20160128_085842.jpg

4. alchemy

alchemy

I have thousands (literally) of 1948 to present hot rod & custom magazines.

brad2v likes this.

5. Bader2

Bader2

Rod & custom,hot rod,street rodder,American rodder,rodders journal,easily 2-3 thousand.

6. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

I only have hundreds. Wish I did have more of them though. Both the little pages and the bigger format.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have mine in boxes, neatly stacked in 3rd bedroom. They are next to the boxes of Control Line and Free Flight model airplane magazines.
    Hot Rod mags date back to 1948, model air mags go back to 1933...

Re @alchemy: "Thousands (literally)" When I read that, I thought, 'Thousands?'
    Then I did some mental arithmetic. As usual, he is accurate. Yes, thousands is a correct estimate. :eek:

8. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I used to have a lot more, but moved a while back, and 'lost' them somehow....still irks me! I now have about 10 yrs. collection of Rod & Custom, Hemmings Classic Car, Hemmings Sport & Exotic, Street Rodder, and Hot Rod. Glad I have 'this bunch' however....but, that was a bummer losing all those old ones!

9. frank spittle

frank spittle

I have not thrown away a single car magazine in over 50 years and have a collection of probably 3000 or more. I have used them for research regularly for over 30 years.

10. BobMcD

BobMcD

I wouldn't call myself a collector. More of a hoarder. I have some going back to the 60's. Can't bring myself to get rid of them. If was up to my wife, the would have been thrown out years ago.

hipster and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hot Rod '48-'51 some,'52-present all. R&C just about all. Car Craft, Pop Hot Rodding,Speed Age, 1001 Custom&Rod Ideas, Super Stock, Cars, Vette, Street Rod, Rod Action, Street Rodder,TRJ,plus a shitload of orphans and little books. Had to give up scarfing them at Carlise and Hershey a couple decades ago...it was getting to be an obsession!

12. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

all hot rod type mags complete sets from 1948-up and many many more extra looking for a buy sell trade on the web

13. LOL I don't try to but they are everywhere. ;)

hipster likes this.
  14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I stopped collecting car titles at the year 2000...HRM pretty complete, R&C late 50's up, some PHR, SR, Super Ford and [xxxx xxxx can't remember original title] and few other car titles odds and ends maybe even some Parts Peddler.....Vol 1, issue 1 of Open Wheel plus few more over several year span..HSM and DM still collect.. Had them set up like Squirrel but moved and didn't have the space for display so in boxes in the attic...Back in 2010 I tried to sell them to a magazine dealer..He offered a fare price but could only take to 72' as that was about the newest he was selling and didn't have storage space for longer turn around time..

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Spare room of my house about half full. Hope to rectify that, it should be full.:D

brad2v and Speed Gems like this.
  16. jazz1

jazz1

image.jpeg Not a collector although there are a few boxes Hot Rod etc. I quit buying 15 years ago , just have yet to give them away. I like the ads! I have Popular Mechanics back to the 30's

hipster and Speed Gems like this.
  17. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I have HOT ROD starting from Sept. '58 with at least one issue from each year of the 60's some from the 70's and most from 80's to the present. CAR CRAFT from Aug, Sept '64 Mar. 65' Sept. 66' Jan 67' Feb 69'. RODING &RE-STYLEING Nov. '64 and Mar. 66'. An issue or two of DRAG RACING U.S.A as well a CAR CRAFT , HOT ROD, CHEVY HIGH PREFORMNCE from 93' to present, a few issues of R&C from the 90's SUPER CHEVY going back to the 90's as well as a few SPORT TRUCK magazines from the 90's

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  18. where would i find those "boxes" you've got there?

19. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

A few years ago I finally realized that I was a "horder", I had every Hot Rod, R&C, Street Rodder and several other mags. I realized that they were taking up lot's of space and I never looked at any, once they were put in sleeves, on bookshelves. I could not give them away, I asked everybody I knew. Believe it or not several schools that I contacted said that "because of liability issues" they could not accept them. I visited the Speedway Museum and during the tour I mentioned to the guide about the magazines and told me that if I was willing to donate them to Speedway that they would pay for all the shipping expenses. I was so glad that someone wanted them and I didn't have to throw them away. I have every issue of "Playboy" from 1988 and Years of "Woodie Times" and I can't get rid of them also. Next week it's trash time.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saved most of mine since I was 12 years old including a lot of annuals and special editions but many of them have been ruined because a storage shed leaked and I didn't have sense to seal them up in containers that would keep them dry and the mice out of them. My intent from the start was to have my own library of hot rod and custom car related magazines and books but it will be a lot smaller than I had planned.

21. I have all the Rodder's Digest except for 18 of the earliest ones It's my one magazine collection. Well, and I've kept my Rodder's Journals since number 32 but I wouldn't consider them a collection. OK, I also have a box of Hot Rod Mechanix but several are missing...enough to consider them a "non collection" also. I oughta put an ad in the Misc forum to trade some of the TRJs and HRMX for the Rodder's digest's I need.
    All the street rodder's, R&Cs, Hot Rod and Car Crafts have been donated to the local shelters.

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not a collector or a hoarder, it's just been a major component of this hotrodders existense.

23. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I've got a pretty good collection, but unfortunately they have all been packed away in a tub since I moved. I got this old pamphlet stand from the local Alanon club. 397587_729771167210_1024677814_n.jpg

LOU WELLS likes this.
  24. alchemy

alchemy

Rocky: Send me a PM of which issues you need and I'll check my extras. You coming to Wild Wade's this Sunday?

Everybody: You can also send me a PM of what magazines you are looking for and I'll check my extras. Not just a range, but actual titles and dates.

25. squirrel

squirrel

26. As the wife calls it...my hoard...yes all Hot Rods to 70, damn near every little book, etc, etc, tubs and tubs...

27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454006170.954904.jpg
    Here is a small portion of what I have.

kidcampbell71, jazz1, hipster and 9 others like this.
  28. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I probably have in the thousands. PHR, CC, Honk, R&C with HRM being my favorite (have all of the HRM from late '49 thru 1979). But my "collecting" has greatly reduced over the years as the issues I'm missing become fewer and the prices go up.

29. WOW!!! I'm lovin' that! I also like your gas powered pogo stick!

Moriarity likes this.
  30. thanks, about 2 bucks each and i can order them from the safety of my keyboard:p