Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 Olds...Finally back to it

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Fedcospeed, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Hey, Bought this car(avitar) in 81 and drove it unrestored for a year or so.Thought it looked so cool because it was low to the ground...actually it was sunk in the sellers yard.Anyway it took me all of 6 more years to strip it down to nothing and I mean nothing and put back together and back down the road.It had only one pencil eraser size hole in the lower corner below the drivers rear tail light. Found NOS doors,and all four fenders,bumpers,grill etc etc and put that all on and kept the old stuff incase of a wreck.Since then I got a hood and decklid,nos.I got married soon after and we drove it for awhile and life parked it for the next 28 years. My wife would love to drive it again and at age 55 I figure by the time I retire,it will be too late to handle so it starts today.
    Plans are: Mild,unmolested custom.Strip my crummy lacquer job,repaint.Not sure of color yet.Replace flat six with a rebuilt 49 303,keep the recently rebuilt 4spd hydromatic.Edmunds intake with two reardraft carbs and Edmunds air cleaners.Edmunds valve covers.Finned valley cover.
    I have original skirts,door ventshades,GM foglights,GM spotlights and a set of accessory SS hubcaps that cover the wheel from center cap to edge of wheel.Was thinking of taking out a ring of the coils all around or maybe just the back and see what I get for rake.
    Got lucky in that the interior is still like the day I had it redone.Passing eye mirror too

SOOO I took the engine to the shop today and the radiator to get recored next week.This will be a long process and updates will take time but it had to start sometime!!! Below are pictures of what the engine setup looks like and one from a Hamber that hit the look just like I want. And the sad looking said car. Thanks Jim F Fedco

Attached Files:

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. U-235

U-235

excellent choice on carburation......here's mine

Attached Files:

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Good to see you back into it again. I need to pull my finger out and ramp it up on my 46 :D

5. Jim, good to see the project is on the front burner. Can't wait to see the ol gal come together....don't forget the ac for the Ms.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. Its nice to see you getting to work on it again .Good luck with her.Bruce.

7. Sporty45

Sporty45

Looking forward to this! I have a 47 coupe that's in about a million pieces right now that will be a car... someday! :D

8. Car looks great shape for a 28 year nap! Good to see you working on it again, and nice that your wife is excited about the project.

9. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I must have mentioned that to you at the tranny exchange :)

10. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Mocked up the carb setup today before taking to my friend Charlie for his magic touch.Found out the other carbs that were used in 49,Carters reardraft,used a Edmunds aircleaner but they stuck straight up and not off to the drivers side like mine.Heres a couple pictures. Decided to use the 303s heads and save the 324 [HASHTAG]#10s[/HASHTAG] for the 324 and a future build.
    Updates will be slow,but till the shop space is freed up in the spring,I will work towards getting parts and piece ready to go.If we get a good length of warm weather,I can push the car out enough to get the radiator out and over to get recored.All the sitting has not been good to that!

Attached Files:

cissman and Squablow like this.
  11. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Here is the other style carb and the other Edmunds(i think) aircleaners. Never saw a set in person.I dont own this setup,snagged picture

Attached Files:

12. Orn

Orn

Your 47 looking good. Keep up the good work!

13. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Send me some more pics of yours please. The sideview one hangs in the shop to keep the fire lit

14. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Quick long overdue update. 303 is ready to pick up at the builders today.I have been waiting is some degree for the better part of 28 years for this day. No turning back now,No excuses!!! Pics will follow as I get the intake and such bolted on. Thanks to the Hershey swapmeet for making it possible to pay for it!

'Mo and GreenMonster48 like this.
  15. Very nice car. I have a 46 olds. just bought in May. has flathead 6 cyl. runs good. 20160530_154511.jpg

16. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

17. 'Mo

'Mo

I like it!
    (EDIT...Gotta love a V8 with 2X2's! So uncommon!)

1957 BMW 507
    [​IMG]

HAMB'er Martin_F built this Edmunds equipped beauty.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    mgtstumpy likes this.
  18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Just curious but can you not rotate the part of the carb inlet and turn it so it sits at 90* like you want?

19. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Not sure what you mean here?