Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods TROG- The Race of Gentlemen; getting a car selected?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Preacher, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Ok shoot it to me straight...
    1) I have built enough cars to know what is period correct and what isn't...
    2) I just read the entry rules of the TROG
    3) I love the parameters.

My dad is about 75 and wants to build a car and race it in NJ 2016; my son and I are up to seeing it happen. We have enough parts laying around to build a couple of cars that could fit the bill and no doubt look "correct" but what else don't I know about the behind the scenes selection process?
    • fair enough that every Oilers car even close should get in... HUGE thanks to the Oilers for hosting!!!
    • also understand that there are many provisional friends, of friends that will get in... that is the way it should be!
    • but even if a car is correct and a guy is a total "walk on" what are the chances of actually getting selected without a connection?
    • I am guessing it is not quite like a HS kid's odds of getting into an Ivy League College, but I also doubt it is as simple as applying to a local community college.
    • How many do they take? How many are turned away.... etc...
    I want to go, I think as all builds are it would be a blast to have the rush of the crunch, the time frame and the push to meet the deadline that only cool shows can provide, but statistically what are the odds of getting in? I ask because there is a lot on the line to committing to phase 2 and the build and I don't like variables too much...

What are the chances and what do I need to know to ensure that a build will get in?

2. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

crickets... anyone have entry wisdom?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Did you contact the Oilers?

4. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

I just did... thanks for the suggestion.... I figured they would be busy this time of the year and the crunch is on to start a build.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016

5. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

I just heard back.. they responded very quick and it was very helpful... Thanks Oilers/Trog for the insight.

6. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Would you like to tell us what they said of are you going to keep it a secret?

barett and clem like this.
  7. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I Emailed pictures of my 32 banger and they said they would let me know. The fenders are coming off. Diamond B block Winfield head and two 97s. I don't know anybody so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Attached Files:

thommoina33 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Here is what they responded and they were quick to do so... They referred to the website for just this sort of question and reminded me that all things were possible, but the rules were tight.

9. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

I have raced at TROG for the last 3 years and although that does not make me an authority by any means but the guys in the club and I have built a few that have been picked ! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454025505.436674.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454025756.512984.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454025961.281728.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454026089.179527.jpg

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  10. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

In the just wondering department... what about the 100's, if not 1000's, of existing vintage speedsters, roadsters and closed cars that have been running at vintage events for decades and decades - long before the new events in Colorado and New Jersey were developed and promoted. Why aren't they also running the new venues? Many of those tried n true cars are still run by the folks / families that built them, and many more are operated by folks with tons of experience racing the old stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love what's going on now in these new events, and was really inspired to see and meet the old cars and drivers at the first Colorado hill climb, but I just can't understand why virtually none of the old cars are coming out. Are they being invited? Gary

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  12. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Sorry to hear that for you... what were the reasons?

13. ELD

ELD

Yes you might have misunderstood, due to the Hurricane delay last year some entry's (past cars) could not make it to the rescheduled race (date move) the week later and they were given spots for this year.

14. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

the best part of it all is that now you have your car ready for other events and about a 1 and 1/2 years to make any changes to it...