Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical gauges

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by WP38, Jan 26, 2016.

1. WP38

WP38

Would anyone have any links or advice on using and restoring gauges from a 1938 international?
    I would like to use them if possible. The international ran off a 6 volt system.
    I would need some type of a speedo cable adaptor to run a cable to a TH350 transmission.
    Will post a couple pictures if it helps. I would need a new voltage gauge instead of OAMS.

2. Quite a few rebuilders around......I used Bob's Speedometer a while back to rebuild a speedo from a 57 Stude. That is the Cyclops type unit and is quite unique. It cost 500 to get it rebuilt but it was beautiful.
    If your search for voltage regulators you will find a lot of threads on different ways to step down 12 to 6 for the gauge power. The speedo cable builders can make anything you need for a replacement cable for that T350

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Posted previously, I used all new late model VDO movements in my 46 Olds as I wanted instruments to look OEM. Upgraded the facia with new decals for everything, even the tacho and clock. Clock1.JPG dDash-.JPG Speedo2.JPG

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Assuming the units are just dirty I'd suggest disassembling and cleaning, the car in the avatar at the left had a speedo issue (the old bouncing needle as you drove down the road) so when I took the dash out to paint and rewire I took the speedometer to a friend that fixes clocks and watches, he took the speedometer mechanism apart, cleaned it up and regreased it, it works fine now. I used voltage dropping resistors on the gauges that were electrically operated. Now I like the original patina if it isn't too bad, but that's just me.

6. rexrogers

rexrogers

We have used Bod's speedometer in the past and they have done a great job for us in rebuilding complete gauge sets, to just refurbishing the internals and leaving the patina in tact.

7. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

8. rfraze

rfraze

Williamson's in Chester, Arkansas did the gauges for me when I was building Bob Sichting's Diamond T. They do great work and can even make mechanical temp senders any length you specify.
    IMG_0002.jpg IMG_0004.jpg IMG_0005.jpg

9. BJR

BJR

How about a picture of what you have now?

10. WP38

WP38

Here it is in all it's glory

Attached Files:

11. BJR

BJR

We have the same cluster installed in my sons 47 KB3 pickup. We replaced the speedo and gauges with ones from a Ford Ranger IIRC. They fit in the holes of the cluster. Grab the sending units when you get the gauges if you do the same.

12. WP38

WP38

$_35.jpg
    May I ask what year ranger , is it like this one ? might be an idea. I like the old look of original gauges . would you send me some pictures of his truck thanks

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  13. If using late-model gauges, check to see if the oil pressure gauge is 'fake'. What I mean by fake, Ford got complaints from customers when the gauge read low at idle or fluctated. It seems explanations didn't help, so somewhere in the late 80s or early 90s they rigged the 'gauge' to read more-or-less the same as long as there was any adequate pressure available, in effect it's now the same as an idiot light. I've heard that GM and Mopar followed suit, so if you're looking for an actual gauge, these aren't it.

14. WP38

WP38

Most likely it looks like I will buy a new speedo and place it in the existing frame . The other guages will place in on a seporate bracket.

15. silversink

silversink

those gauges will work --all you have to do is get a voltage reducer for the electrical, there are places that can put a chev. end on your speedo cable. Ford used those same gauges up into the 60s---I have an extra gauge cluster for a KB.

16. WP38

WP38

Thanks I have no cable yet just planing so far. Cheers . So a chevy cable should work like a old Camaro style ?

17. silversink

silversink

the important one is if it works on the speedometer, the other end can be easily changed

18. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I read that about Ford elsewhere as well. Supposedly the gauge is the same, they just changed the sender. Instead of a proper variable sender, it's now an on/off switch. Installing a correct sender makes the gauge work correctly.