Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for a Hurst Shifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kyle Seal, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Kyle Seal

Kyle Seal
    from Virginia

I'm currently building up my 70 C10 pickup. My transmission ate a synchro and so I decided to rebuild the little Saginaw 3 speed. I also decided the universal fit shifter will not cut it for me, as it's embarrassing trying to find 3rd gear and having to drop it to 1st because it took so long (also would have to double clutch to get it to not grind).

So my question is: what should I go with? I've got a stock bench seat, and want that BA looking Hurst. I've already concluded that Indys are crap, and was looking into the Mastershifts. Are those any good? Any suggestions? I'm looking to spend under $300 if I can (college student).. If it's a little more but worth it I'll consider. Sorry for so many questions!

I've attached a photo of my truck for the C10 guys on here. She's not much but she's mine.

Attached Files:

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have had luck with Indy shifter. I just had to weld the shifter body to the bracket that mounts it to the trans.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'll say this again(referring to other threads), you will find no better shifter for a 3 speed trans than the old Hurst Syncro-Loc shifter. Even an old used one will be better than anything that can be bought new today, period.

bowie likes this.
  4. Kyle Seal

Kyle Seal
    from Virginia

So if I go looking through eBay, what do I type in or search for? I'm on a Saginaw 3 speed for example.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Long before you visit The Bay, you need to educate yourself on both the shifter that I mentioned and the (exact) model of trans you are fitting it to.
    Just Google the particulars, then click either the text pages or image pages.
    Depending on my mood at the time, I may just go to images first, just for visual curiosity.
    If I am lacking specific information such as applications,(year, body style, trans, etc), I will use the text pages, either way, you should consider the sources you gleen information from. I tend to not trust everything that comes from individuals because there is a lot of speculation on the internet, not all factual. Don't be afraid to visit any transmission shops in your area and ask questions.
    Regarding what someone prints in their auction ads; believe only half what you read and ask twice as many questions.
    Or take the easy path and just order a new Mastershift at Pep Boys.

6. I also suggest that you find a C/10 website...The HAMB only covers up to 1965,as stated in the Rules for the HAMB found at the top of the Intro page

7. Kyle Seal

Kyle Seal
    from Virginia

I thought this was fine considering the topic is 3 speed shifters

8. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I would load these guys in your favorites for reference. There is a lot of great info available here, but sometimes we don't venture much past 65th street. It looks like you have a good start there.

www.67-72chevytrucks.com

www.c10forum.com

9. I read on the 67-72 Chevy Truck site one guy suggesting a Mr. Gasket 7667A.. It's an 18" Shifter.