Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Valve in head conversions for Flathead V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Jan 25, 2016.

1. So as most people know I am Mr Valve in head. That is not to say that I do not like or respect the flathead but I have been known to give the bear a poke once in a while especially if I can get a rise out of the flathead crowd.

Anyway I am sure that this has been covered but certainly not recently and I thought that it would make a good discussion or trade off of information. So lets discuss the valve in head conversion of the venerable ford Flathead ( you banger guys can chime in too if you want).

We all know about the Ardun but I am going to ppst a couple of pics of non ardun overhead valve Fords just for starters.

So throw it out there fellas what do you know that the rest of us don't, and what else is there aside from the riley and the Adrun.

Just for grins and to stir the pot a little bit I have included a survey that really has little to do with the discussion but if you participate in the survey please tell us your opinion, opinions make the HAMB go round.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dreamer,you know you are a dreamer. :D HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Well yea, SO??? !!!:D :D

Soon to be an out of commission dreamer for about 3 months I am afraid. :eek:

That alexander conversion is neat isn't it? Almost looks like an Olds.

LOU WELLS, Deuced Up! and 31ster like this.
  4. Yes but they are insanely expensive as is the Ardun conversion.

PM sent.HRP

5. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Another conversion. the spec. sheet is for the reproduction head.

15179338788_3ce6c435aa_b.jpg 15190143459_6f0bdbac7d_b.jpg 15190297598_2bcb7c89cd_b.jpg

Tim_with_a_T and LOU WELLS like this.
  6. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Thanks for posting guys I LOVE my flatheads although I could never afford ohv conversion stuff and kind of prefer them flat...why you gonna be laid up Beaner, ? Hope it isn't TOO serious

7. Naw not serious I'm just a little bent. A quick straightening and a minor buffing and I'll be as good as new.

Two things that have always intrigued me is valve in head conversions and overhead cam motors. Thee is just something about the genius that makes either one happen.

LOU WELLS and snopeks garage like this.
  8. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

What is the OHV conversion in the bottom picture? I'm having a hard time figuring out how seven exhaust pipes on one side would work. If the pipes coming out of the valve cover aren't exhaust pipes what in the dickens are they?

9. The Don Ferguson reproduction Ardun heads are a little pricy ( The introductory price for the complete conversion kit is $13,950) but are said to be superior to the originals. HRP

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

. and to do such fabulous work without 3D printers, etc. flat is flat.

11. The Dixon conversion. HRP

Montana1 and dana barlow like this.
  12. Almost anyone's guess on that one would be better than mine, I have had the pic before and found it again today and hoped someone would know. That may be an @RichFox question, he was playing exotic flathead when I was still in grammer school.

13. BJR

BJR

Spark plug tubes, think Hemi.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The engine pictured has stock Ford exhaust valves. It may be an F head with OHV intakes. But I bet it is just a cover sold for marine use on Ford flathead engines. The cover and tubes were supposed to keep water from shorting out the plug wires.

Charlie Chops 1940 likes this.
  15. That makes sense, seems like the plugs would be entering the head at an odd angle, at least to me it does.

hey rich while you're here do you know did anyone make a cammer conversion for the flathead?

Danny
    I don't know how much zot that mill makes but it sure talks a mean fight. Damned good sounding flathead.

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I believe the Stevens OHV conversion may be available from Jimmy Stevens again. I believe the current version might have a better looking valve cover. I also believe they are more of a race oriented conversion and less of a garbage truck upgrade, as in ARDUN.

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

No I don't know of a OHC head for the Ford V8. Seems like somebody must have made one at some time. Did you look at the Speedway Museum site for one?

18. The Ardun is a cool conversion and I think to the average guy it was all there was. promotion is everything.

I think that there are a lot more conversions out there then even I have ever imagined and I got a pretty rampant imagination. I guess that is what sparked this whole discussion at least for me, I just want to know about what there was and when it was and who made it and, well you know everything. :D

19. Nope I have not, I got to run now but that will make for some good searching in the morning. Thanks for the idea.

20. Lee Chapell's Tornado OHV conversion.

Mick leescatalog-tornadoheads1.jpg leesccatalog-tornadoheads.jpg

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I am going to make a leap...Seems I remember seeing a DOHC by I think C-T Automotive? Was in HRM maybe in the mid 50's...[Note; edited to dohc]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  22. alchemy

alchemy

Maxi like in the Isky roadster.

23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Didn't Rajo and Roof make some for the v8's? Just a few in the early 30's..

24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Ok here it is I think..From http://www.hotrod.com/features/1504-mementos-from-clem-tebows-lifetime-of-speed/...Left bank cam covers are off and can see the exh cam [or what looks like] to the right of the water pump pulley and the int cam just above the cap on the mag..Its not the pic I was thinking of and the article just says merc engine but it is at Speedy Bill's museum and sure looks DOHC..Off to find the museum..

[​IMG]

25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

26. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

C-T Automotive provided this engine for the City of Burbank Streamliner - demolished at Bonneville in 1952.
    "The Mercury mill on display at the Museum of American Speed (MuseumofAmericanSpeed.com) was built by C-T Automotive and featured Adams-Moller OHV conversion heads, similar to the more well-known Ardun conversion." (from the web). IIRC an article from back in the day said C-T started out with an Ardun and figured they could improve on the design. Here lies the proof.
    The overhead conversions were understandable "back in the day" when the Ford flathead was the gold standard and provided an excellent basis for conversions. Paradoxically, by definition, as soon as it's converted, it's no longer a flathead. By the time Arduns came on the scene, they could be trounced by a Hemi, Olds, Cadillac or Buick OHV.
    Still, and all, there's nothing to compare to any of the conversions for WOW factor. They are the anti belly button engines of hot rodding. Just saying.

27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

28. Well now ya done it Beaner........ once ya change the configuration it is no longer an L head engine so therefore not a Flathead call it what ya wish an, I head, an F head, an OHV conversion ect but one thing it is not is a Flathead .............. and putting them stupid covers on a Chevy to look like a Flathead is even more insane, kinda like putting olds covers on a chev cause your too fuckin stupid to build one....................

29. moefuzz

moefuzz

There was a myriad of ohv conversions for the Flathead but very few
    DOHC conversions that I have found.

Davis made a Dual overhead cam conversion for Flathead V8.
    Don't have a clue to the history, just one of 150,000 pics on the hardrives.

davis-150.jpg

The pic leads me to believe that this is more recent technology..

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DSC_0143.JPG
    Riley that makes a valve configuration change
    There is a certain 'wow' factor especially when it is in a car that is driven.