Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. jackalope

jackalope

I have used small LED lights in the past on the Bp but did not care for the type/color of light they put out. Too artificial and did not illuminate the work well enough. I find that only real incandescent light cuts the mustard when it comes to machining. The worst is fluorescent. NEVER try those while using a lathe. Has a strobe sort of effect and makes the piece appear motionless or very slow.
    On a totally different note and to get back on topic, I will try to take some pics of other tools/tooling I have made. I know that near page 50 I made some posts but they were very blurry. I will eventually get better pics and explanations. I do plan to build a big plasma table at some point. That is further on down the road ;-)
    Grant

loudbang and JOYFLEA like this.
  2. I wanted to reverse the rear spring on my roadster however my 20 ton press was 1,000 miles away & didn't know of anyone in the area to do it for me so I made this benchtop press from 6"channel & a couple of piece of rectangle tubing. I use my porta-power but could also use a bottle jack if I had one here. Have 6 in the other shop so am not investing in another. Anyway it worked & now I have a small press for little jobs. The spring turned out great & thanks to all the guys on here for tips & idea DSCN5055.JPG DSCN5083.JPG s.

Attached Files:

3. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I used daylight color LED. not too bad.

4. jeffer 35

jeffer 35
    from nw. okla

Has anybody made a auto rotisserie and put "bearings" in the part that spins instead of just a pipe in a pipe like an engine stand?

5. Clark

Clark

IMG_20140701_105548.jpg

I put bearings In my frame table rotisserie. Spins easy....maybe too easy
    Clark

6. If you put bearings, be sure to always put your ground on your work, not the rotisserie.

stealthcruiser likes this.
  7. Clark

Clark

I put the ground on the table not the legs. I think as long as the current doesn't have to flow through the bearings you will be ok.
    clark

loudbang and Speedys Garage like this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I used front wheel drive car hubs for my rotisserie.

redzula likes this.
  9. Clark

Clark

I do need to find a brake to keep the rotisserie from spinning. My original plan was a motor and rotate it with that. I couldn't get it slow enough and the chain would jump. Now I rotate it by hand and use a pin in the sprocket to hold it. It has some slop and allows it to rock back and forth slightly. I want a brake that is spring loaded and will allow it to spin when released.

10. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I changed the lamp on my lathe/mill magnetic light to LED. Would never go back. No heat, doesn't get broken and the light is much easier on the eyes. Also just put 4' LED tubes in one of my florescent fixtures, much better. They are pretty expensive but I will replace them as they fail. You remove or bypass the ballast.
    Here is the link and part #:
    http://www.ledglobalsupply.com/
    GS-T8-4-W

I got the clear cover, also available in milk white like a conventional florescent bulb.

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I used a brake rotor for the stop for mine. 20160123_085847.jpg

12. Clark

Clark

Saltflats. ....yeah the caliber is the part I need. I know they make something like I want but I haven't been able to find it in searching

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I just use a bolt through the tube into the hole in the rotor.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Clark

Clark

Saltflats. ..I have something like that now. I want an actual brake I can release to spin. If it's spring loaded I could stop it quick in an emergency

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Get one of the Speedway caliper mounting brackets then mount a master cylinder for a foot or hand operation.

16. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Why not a drum + parking brake assembly? Already has a cable, handle with ratchet, release when you want it, and should be readily available in any junkyard.

H380, loudbang and Speedys Garage like this.
  17. redzula

redzula

Beat me to it I was thinking a modern style rotor with the drum style e brake inside. Then just use a spring on a lever and the stock e brake cables to hold it when you want to rotate it. Spring always holds pressure so it doesn't rotate. When you want to rotate it pull against the spring on the lever to release the pressure. In the brake and rotate.

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Get one off the back of a front wheel drive then you wont have to have a center bolt to hold the hub together.
    You can see on mine I used some front hubs but I had some axles to cut off to hold it.

19. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I designed several roll-over trunions and weld fixtures some 35 years ago when I was working as a tool designer at Manlift. I used small drum brakes, hubs and wheel bearings from the various Manlift vehicles in the trunions.

I attached a rod from a lever through the backing plate, to pedal on the floor. A spring went from the rod to the frame. The brake was spring applied, & you had to steep on the pedal to release the shoes & turn the trunions.

20. jeffer 35

jeffer 35
    from nw. okla

I was thinking about the front wheel drive hubs, but wasn't sure they would be the best choice.
    They would be easy to put a plate with holes in a circle, to pin it in any position you would want your car.

21. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Not to complicate this, but if you put a brake on one end only will the other end want to rock around? Only rotisserie I have ever had my hands on was at a show. seemed a little creaky to me when turned. My first though was, "Needs bearings."

22. Clark

Clark

Right now it is only held on one end and is fine. Just looking for a better solution. Now on a regular rotisserie it may be another story

23. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

Im building a mini art deco style mower with full fenders and all. Its lookin real good sofar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rytang, michael knight, bct and 4 others like this.
  24. Leakie

Leakie

Cool mower, 930dude!

25. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

That is a fine looking mower! Nice work

26. studeboy

studeboy

That mower is awesome. Do you have a color picked yet.

27. lol, push starting this is going to be fun..

28. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

Thanks guys im thinking a green close to this. but that could change. I didnt plan on putting fenders on it either so that changed the whole look

Attached Files:

29. 54stude

54stude

Check out "Detroit diesel" green for a color...

30. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

detroit diesel looks good i picked up a few different spray paint cans of colors like that i might use but ill probrobly mix up my own color iv got a bunch of old laquer to use up. Here a bike with a custom color i made I might use it or go for a lighter shade or a complete different color or two tone ill figure it out when the fab is done

Attached Files:

54reno and whtbaron like this.