Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Food stamp racer checking in.
    Going for some new traction bar for shamu and was looking at the Assassin bars.
    What do you guys think?
    I got a sponsor for the rear suspension for this year. Not sure about the engine may just keep tuning away like a refresher course.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  2. powrshftr

powrshftr

James,
    John Calvert (the guy who invented these things) sells them on his website for $339 also,and he will talk you through the setup and tuning on the phone as well.
    For exactly the same money,I would be more prone to give him a call.
    Or just use a pinion snubber and SuperStock springs like the rest of the Mopar Militia.
    Unless you're talking about the 409 car.

Scott

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Are you talking about the caltrack bars?
    I have looked at them and the assassin bars just was not sure if one was better that the other.
    The assassin bars look like they have a lot more adjustment to them. And are the same money.
    And as you know me I could not give a shit about any nopar lovers.

Tickety Boo and powrshftr like this.
  4. powrshftr

powrshftr

One of the many reasons why you're a badass James: You're non-denominational!lol!

Yes,I was talking about the CalTracs.
    Either way,the money is the same.
    I can't wait to see that 409 car make tracks this year!:)

Scott

Tickety Boo likes this.
  5. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Scott

I think your right about James being non-denominational, ( that may define him as a Hore ) :rolleyes:

But when he wants to go fast, it seems he bleeds Fast Orange ( early Chevy engine enamel )

What do you think Salty, lets get it from the hores mouth. :oops: ( Is Chevy your 1st love )

Norb

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  6. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I hoping that with a few minor changes I can run my Henry J that I just bought. 20160101_133023.jpg 20160101_133011.jpg

7. Saxxon

Saxxon

Giggitty !!

IMG_0248[1].JPG

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

^^^ that's just pure sex there.
    Norb my first car was a 65 VW so you can see that I wanted to go fast after driving that car I even got a ticket in that one before I ever got my licence.

loudbang, Dog_Patch and Tickety Boo like this.
  9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Scott the traction bars are for the Charger not sure the 409 is going to be fast enough to need any. Hell not sure the Charger is going to need any.

10. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

James

Do you think that the rear end wrapped up the springs, causing the drive shaft to bend?

Notice any wheel hop?

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Norb I was not driving my buddy Nathan (my rear end sponsor ) was driving and it let go in the lights.
    I sure hope he was still on the loud peddle. St Louis is a long track for that car kinda like being on the salt flats.
    When I ran the car there I would say in it longer after the light to get my speed fix.

12. saxxon looks great. with that k-valve it allows you to run port nozzles. are you planning on running them? its become a slippery slope now. you have the parts to run nitro. have fun.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  13. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Tickety Boo and saltflats like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

There is no help for us.
    And I ain't fallin for no banana up my tail pipe.
    And I do have some help for my rear end on the 62 and I will be calling on you.

15. 62Furious

62Furious

Sorry Norb But I think that Salty's first love is MOPAR.

Tickety Boo likes this.
  16. powrshftr

powrshftr

Henry J's are awesome little cars!Congrats on your new purchase!

From your photos it looks like all you would really have to change in order to meet event criteria are your wheels,hood scoop,and the wing.
    Other than that,it wouldn't look out of place.
    With a set of Torq-Thrust Americans,or Halibrands,or even a set of Cragars,and many of the fiberglass manufacturers make cool,period-looking gasser-style scoops.

How fast does that car run,anyway?What are you running for a drivetrain?
    One of the guys that has run the Meltdown for years has started a Henry J build,maybe we can hook you two up and you guys can buy doubles of any parts you need,to score a bit of a discount?:)

Scott

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

18. Saxxon

Saxxon

Just so I'm up front with this - the focus is on the injection. The blower is an empty case but I managed to get it and the "good" stuff attached to it included in the deal. The bearing plates and BDS drive are good to go and I also got the return loop, shut off valve and an assortment of pulleys, lines and fittings, throttle cable, pump drive extension etc etc . I'll be shopping some of these parts out to offset the overall purchase.

I am not going to run port lines. My current intake isn't tall enough to provide clearance for the port injectors. I have thoughts of selling off my GMC bus blower, street intake and carbs as a unit and going back to a competition intake and a blower more suited to alky ... maybe more compression... more aggressive cam .... shaft rockers .... Obviously this has real potential to become a runaway train and risking not being ready for Meltdown... so I'm taking one step at a time. I need a pump and other assorted parts so I've called Mike at Alkydigger. He is interested in taking this Birdcatcher in on trade for a finned Bug (maybe a tall 4 Port). Hopefully we can come to an agreement. If not then I will run this one as-is

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    powrshftr likes this.
  19. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Bob

65 V W o_O ( Hore Confirmed)

Norb.

powrshftr likes this.
  20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Just encase you guys wanted to know my first real race street car was a 62 Nova 2 with a 327 4 speed and a narrowed 57 Pontiac rear end with 4.88 and a spool.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    Dog_Patch, Tickety Boo and powrshftr like this.
  21. powrshftr

powrshftr

You're still a Hore.

Scott

Dog_Patch and Tickety Boo like this.
  22. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

The best way to see if your vehicle fits is to...take a black and white picture and see if you can tell what year it was...we are shooting for 1966 and earlier....this is what separates "Nostalgia" from "Vintage"

30dodgeboy and powrshftr like this.
  23. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

holy shit batman, now we're talkin' !!
    you'er gonna need better wheelie bars !!
    please tell me you're running alky !

hipster and powrshftr like this.
  24. Saxxon

Saxxon

Yes I'm running alky - Swapping to alky is what started this whole affair. I wanted to stay with carbs and was going to drop a hockey-sock full of cash on some from Pro-Systems. Then my buddy with a vintage FC decided to sell the car and parts for cheap. I'm really hoping I can swing a deal for a 4 Port or a finned Bug... but like I said, if I can't - then we run the Bird as it is.

25. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

AWESOME_AWESOME_AWESOME !!! HUGE ASS WHEELIES !!!
    yep we need to have a beer or two.. for sure..
    just changing to alky, adds INSANE POWER !!
    just with carbs(like your set up) we built a 355 chevy, stock block,all low buck crap, and a junkyard, 6-71 . it make 1069 H.P. on alky, then he switched it to race gas, 671 H.P. and the torque is even bigger improvement. (don't remember torque figures) and the torque improvement was from like, an idle !! adding injection and a stripped blower will make it even more silly !!

26. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

hey, also ALKY is much more forgiving on the tune-up than gas. you can miss it by a mile, (rich) and it'll still run good.

27. Saxxon

Saxxon

Yah - like I need more torque off idle... stronger bars may definitely be in the future

Alky was always in the plan for this year... The current combo makes 650 hp with 6 lbs of boost and an old GMC "truck" blower that we converted. A stage 2 with teflon strips is definitely on the agenda - just maybe not this year.

Yee haw !!

28. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

It's got a 496 BBC. I already have a different scoop. The wing just unbolts. But I really can't afford new wheels. They turned me down already, but offered to make a few changes, still waiting to hear back. Last ran 6:20's in the eighth.

29. exactly!

powrshftr likes this.
  30. powrshftr

powrshftr

I can guarantee the Meltdown guys won't make an exception on the wheels.
    It's part of what makes the event what it is:
    A flashback to 1966

If you keep your existing tires,all you have to do is get different wheels.
    If they are used,they will save you some cash.Sell your existing wheels,and the new ones are almost free!

I know replacing a set of wheels is a pretty big commitment to the average guy,but it's in the name of preserving the authenticity of the event.
    Look at it this way:It's a big commitment to install new wheels,but it's an even bigger commitment for a couple dozen guys to spend most of a year,and nearly 24hrs a day on the event weekend,making sure that the Meltdown is the best vintage drag event on earth for the rest of us lucky slobs.

If you have to beg,borrow,or steal a set of vintage looking wheels to get your o the Meltdown,do it!Its totally worth it!

If you miss it,you will be kicking yourself until next July!

Scott

30dodgeboy likes this.