Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Leaking Steering boxes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anchorboy46, Oct 8, 2010.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I've always used CV grease mixed with 90 weight oil, just a bit more fluid than double cream, works for me.

2. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

I don't suggest putting grease in a power steering box..

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I just went to the site link provided by 29 Nash and ordered 3 tubes of the cornhead grease. The video was enough to convince me!
    I'm an Amsoil dealer and they have a similar grease available, but the smallest size is a 35# tub. Way too much for me!
    Dave

4. It'll leak if the seals are anything less than perfect.

5. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

You can get it in Wilcox, the building behind the DQ, ask for scooter...

He has it.

He was there 10 years ago anyway....

:D

6. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I'd like to think he was speaking in jest, or sarcasm, but you never know. ;)

7. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

I hope you are right!!

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I'll suggest that it's more likely than not, a 60 year old steering box that is worn out got that way from a lot of use, not necessarily due to lack of lubrication. Shit wears out.

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

You should be able to get that John Deere grease or equivilent at Tractor Supply....or uh....JOHN DEERE...
    There are John Deere dealers EVERYWHERE....whether it's green or yellow gear.
    It's a common grease used in many gearbox apps....like bushhogs and other implements.

I use Swepco grease....as it is a high pressue moly grease that is "stringy", it "clings" to the gears.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Swepco X 2!

Porsche recommended for steering boxes & transaxles, have used it religiously since schooled in Porsche, late '50s; also spec'd by BMW North Amer., early '60s.

Biggest reason I've seen for leakage in steering boxes at the seals (NEW seals!) is closeness of exhaust manifolds, headpipes, and headers. 1/4" seems to be the norm in tight quarters, so some added clearance is capital here! (and a deflector shield, just an aluminum plate bracketed to the box, to deflect air past the box) Anything less than 1/2" nets a trapped-air hot pocket in front of the firewall.

I had a few guys with Model A's, '32's, etc. come back with leaking F100 boxes, (they were rebuilt "carry-outs") so I insisted on seeing the applications after that. The heat would practically boil the fluid out when warm, the same scenario the Fords had at Indy in 1935, with much harsher results.

11. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

My steering boxes don't leak.
    I use straight Power Punch in them and it results
    in 10% easier steering effort.

12. JohnT

JohnT

13. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

Jeep guys call it "pudding" and use it in front axle joints. Just chassis grease and gear oil mixed like someone already mentioned. Been around since WWII.

14. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Do you have any part #'s or other info on which particular product you're using . That company makes a lot of different products .

15. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Thread necromancer but I have been reading up on corn head grease. I ordered some for my weeping steering box. Would there be any issues with adding it to the box without draining the gear oil that is in there? There probably isn't much left anyways and I would just continue to watch it til it stops leaking and add some more corn head.

16. chargin03

chargin03

Thanks going to pick some up Monday for my vega box.

17. sunbeam

sunbeam

Snapper mowers use a 00 grease that is like corn head grease.

18. Jim I.

Jim I.

I've used the corn head grease in my 59 Power Wagon for years. And more recently in my 55 Chevy. Good stuff!

19. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I'm just going to add it on top of the oil that is already in there this weekend.

20. i would think you could do that.

21. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Thanks, I'm going to do it this weekend. That is if it's even warm enough to come out of the tube....

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I use grease in my replica champ car, leaving just a smidgeon of gear oil in it to make all the internal surfaces slimy and clingy with oil. You can see the Zerk fitting I put in the oil fill plug on the top of the '50s era f1 pickup (Gemmer) box.

[​IMG]

FWIW I also use it in the gearbox of my rototiller as the seals do not contain gear oil in that harsh, dirty environment.

Also, most dragster style boxes like P & S, S & W, use white grease in them.

23. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like to use extreme pressure (EP) grease with a NLGI rating of 00. It pours like thick honey and is very suited for the application, and is easily retained by the seals. Mobil Mobilux, Shell Alvania, and Chevron Delo lines all have an EP 00 product. And by the way, the JD Corn head grease is a NLGI 00 grease.

Truck64 likes this.
  24. BJR

BJR

I put corn head grease in the front knuckles and steering box of my 52 Willys Jeep 2 years ago. I have no leaks from the knuckles or the steering box for the first time in years.

25. Rebuilt the 41 Ford box in my avatar a few years ago, never thought twice, filled it with axle grease, that's what we did many years ago, long before the internet.

Doctorterry likes this.
  26. bchctybob

bchctybob

I've always used a mix of good grease and 90 wt. The JD stuff sounds like it's worth a try. In my shop I noticed that most leakers had the exhaust real close to the box thereby heating the lube to a nice runny consistency like Atwater Mike said.
    No matter what you put in 'em make sure the exhaust isn't overheating it.

27. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

Cotton picker grease is thinner than corn head grease if my memory serves me right. It is like jelly. Case and John Deere carry both.