Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Yet another dumbass bought a Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thehazmatguy, Jan 19, 2016.

1. So... yeah. I bought a Model A. I think a lot of us poke around on eBay doing shopping for stuff we don't need or can't have. For example, I have saved searches for Potvin, Spalding and such. One of those searches was Model A. I found one that looked interesting. It was local and looked decent. I sent the link to a friend at work and a relative... and I'm not sure what really happened after that. All of a sudden I was the high bidder with minutes left on the listing. I didn't see it first hand. WTF did I just do? I literally stared at my phone for those last ten minutes thinking "Come on! Someone will certainly outbid me."

Yep. Done. It's mine. Next I had some explaining to do with the girlfriend. Nothing is like explaining a poorly thought out decision out loud. She wasn't upset and didn't make one complaint. It was the questions. Or, more precisely, it was the answers. My answers. Example:

Q: Where is it going to go?
    A: I'm not real sure.

Yes, I seriously had not thought this out. At all.

The guy that listed the car was nice enough to deliver it (because my car trailer is enclosed and is more of a storage unit after the GF moved in). I looked at it enough to verify the title matched the car and didn't look at it much closer. I didn't want to find something that meant I had totally screwed up.

My worry yielded to excitement over the next few days. I might be in it a for a few too many dollars but I didn't get hosed. All the little stuff is there, the engine turns over with juice in the 6 volt battery and the only rust is in the cowl. Oh, and a bit in the top of the doors.

[​IMG]

I've wanted a Model A for years. But now that I have one I'm on option overload. I can't even decide on a frame. I've made some other decisions, like it will have a small block chevy engine and some kind of overdrive transmission. I can think of so many other engines I'd prefer but the budget is tight and part sharing and potential hand-me-downs from the '55 mandate the belly button engine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chop? Oh yeah. 3 inch? 4 inch? How low will the car be? I like the idea of a low sedan but Zing the rear frame 4 inches kind of kills the back seat...

Somebody filled the car with house insulation. I pulled all of that and nearly all of the interior - that was in rough shape anyway.

[​IMG]

I'm in no rush to get all of my questions answered. I've got the '55, a 60's travel trailer, a house and yard projects that are happy to take my time and money. I'm just working on stabilizing the Model A so I have what I need when the right time comes along. Finding some decent tires, a new battery and a carb rebuild kit are on the short "to do" list.

And... updating my eBay saved searches list. :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    504640, BradinNC, shadams and 6 others like this.
  2. I like it. That thing looks like a kick ass start to a project! Good luck with it. You got a hell of a lot more to start with than I did with my 31 sedan!!

3. Thanks! My dad had a 36 ford when I was a kid - Columbia overdrive, Southwind heater... but this is my first prewar project.

4. Once you go prewar its hard to go back. Its so awesome to blast down a back road in an early Ford that you have built with your own hands. Its different than a 50's or 60's car. Its just awesome.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I'd say you look pretty stoked, there's no buyers remorse! ha ha! I think you're just trying to act suitably contrite, for your girlfriend's sake.

6. Stoked doesn't cover it! And, after 5+ years together, I don't have to bullshit the GF. I'd be lying if there weren't some buyers remorse though. The money spent on the Model A would likely better be spent on paint or a new interior for the '55. But, if I did the responsible or smart thing all the time I wouldn't even have the '55. I didn't have a house or a garage when I bought the '55. I had to keep it at friends and relatives garages for over a year.

7. Nice car, looks good, the recently built sedan Jason Graham built for himself could give you some direction, good luck.

8. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Why not, for now anyway, just get it running with the "banger" & have some fun driving it while you gather the parts & pieces to build it into your "dream-machine"? Way more fun than just letting it sit & become "that Damn Albatross"!! LOL!!

Moondog13 likes this.
  9. Looks like a nice car.

hipster and 1927graham like this.
  10. brady1929

brady1929

Great project.

hipster likes this.
  11. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Nice model A! I bet you would look a long time on this board to find someone who has NOT bought a car and then said to themselves"why did I do that?" I like SBC engines myself,but that car sure looks complete.Might be fun to get running and drive for a while just to see how you feel about it?

12. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Drive it with the banger in it and you will quickly forget what a sbc is

13. chargin03

chargin03

14. OLDTGUY

OLDTGUY

Nice car, just drive it!

Moondog13 likes this.
  15. That's pretty much the plan. Tires, 6 volt battery, a carb rebuild kit will get it running (I think). The wiring harness is in really rough shape so that might have to get done too. Putting around in it sounds like a blast!

16. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I find it interesting that you have to explain yourself to your girlfriend. If she were your wife, yes. I need to see a pic of this girlfriend to see if she is worth all this worrying. LOL!!!!! It's all good. I know where you are coming from. At your age I would have done the same thing. Now that I am "old"er I could care less what the wife says about what I buy. I'm on the downward slope and need to have as much fun as I can. Hell, look at all these rock stars croaking that are only in their 60s. And I ain't even a rock star. I'm more like a rock..... rolling down hill.

kiwijeff, Saxman, hipster and 4 others like this.
  17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats on your mistake - might want to keep your fingers clear of keyboard & eBay for a while.

slv63 likes this.
  18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Given their lifestyles in the 60s-80s, what the hell did they think was going to happen? Duh.

czuch likes this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That one is in a hell of a lot better shape than the one I drug home. I like the idea of getting it running as is and being able to wheel it around the local area while working on the plans for it and it waiting it's turn in the project line. You might get away with sticking some 15 inch Ford pickup wheels on it and cheap 15 inch tires if the stock size tires stretch the budget too much.

20. Yep, gotta love those accidental purchases. I once looked at a Triumph TR-4 basket case at a local auction preview. Total basket case...literally pieces in baskets, body panels held together with zip ties. Couldn't attend the auction, but left a ridiculously low absentee bid, you know, just in case. You guessed it. 2 days later, I owned it. Remember thinking, "Now what?". I feel your pain, but I did make money when I flipped it a year later.

thehazmatguy likes this.
  21. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

You have a nice car there. It pays to start with a nice one. After talking to all the "old guys" at the car shows about their Model A's, I can understand why they are so proud of them. If you have to restore/hot rod one of them from the bottom up, they can get kind of pricey. Your plans are right on track. Have fun before making tons of changes. Gary

22. mike bowling

mike bowling

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT, call yourself a dumbass for buying a Model A!!

I've bought more than I care to admit , but for the dough they're a kick-ass car to build a Hot Rod!!
    Just check out the Model A threads on here- plenty of info and inspiration.

Looks like a great start- good for you.

23. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Thats a solid looking car. As other have said, get that Banger going and drive it around for a while. Then buy some speed parts for the banger and hop it up.

Moondog13 likes this.
  24. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Warning : Once you start "hopping it up" , then you'll discover "F.A.S.T.", & then you'll start "hanging" with us 'old farts', & then you'll become a "Banger-Guy"(like a bunch of us)!! LOL!! Lots of fun is an additional bonus!

volvobrynk and Moondog13 like this.
  25. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neat car...send me a message and I will look around and give you a bunch of stuff I bought and didn't use on mine. I originally was going to leave the motor stock so I picked up new dizzy cap, wires and that kinda stuff, then decided to hot rod the banger so I updated to electronic ignition and such... I will check what I have and if you are wanting to just get it going to drive as is for a while, I will send you this stuff. Ill never use them and it will save you the money in the mean time. Congrats Ron

26. Awesome! Thank you for the offer! I'll certainly take you up on the dizzy cap!

27. I've been checking craigslist and such for another set of steel wheels with the right bolt pattern. I have some 15 inch tires that came on my 55 that have been sitting in the garage for 6+ years.

28. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i will dig around and get you some stuff packaged up...i will e you this weekend Ron

thehazmatguy likes this.
  29. I love the look of those seats! Now I know what to look for to put in my coupe.

Don't know if you got hosed or not, but that's in the past. I am looking forward to seeing which direction you go.

30. 97

Before you fix the carb or change to solid wheels etc consider a cheaper and easier to operate downdraft carb and a set of 35 wires......
    go to "Banger Meet"
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/new-the-monthly-virtual-banger-meet.87548/
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...banger-meet-new-year-and-old-bangers.1003733/
    been here on the HAMB since 2006 .It is a monthly forum within the HAMB and there is a huge archive in the first posts each month. Lots of info there on getting a 4 banger moving and keeping it moving. They are almost as many cubes as a flathead , tons of low down torque. There is a saying "nothing beats a banger across the intersection ".
    A few minor mods to engine and brakes and a banger will keep up with traffic and give you years of fun....without resorting to SBC.

jerseyboy, thehazmatguy and waxhead like this.