Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Ford shoebox speedometer

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by edisonfire, Apr 15, 2015.

1. edisonfire

edisonfire

Does anyone know a Speedometer that will fit in the stock hole? i have moved the oil/volt/temp to the middle of the dash using old clock housings. but now i want a large speedometer to fill the hole. any thoughts? It looks like its a 5.75 opening. most of the ones i find that big are combo gauges.
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

Old Tom 75 and vwdave30 like this.
  2. I just used the stock speedo but eliminated all the other guages in the panel. hardly noticable and looks right to. You also get to keep the hi beam indicator and signal light indicators. 50 ford 418 (Large).jpg

Cooon likes this.
  3. vwdave30

vwdave30

I dont know what speedometer will work but i really like what you did with your other gauges

4. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

x2

5. edisonfire

edisonfire

Is that a 51 speedometer? I like that the speedometer is on the outside an much bigger than the 49-50.

Thanks! i need to do one more for fuel and move the airride gauges to the glove box.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  6. Yes i used a 51 dash in my 50 but if you take the speedo out i think they are the same size

7. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In our 49 we are using a moon speedometer in the original housing . We simply cut a neat hole in the original cluster so the original speedo is gone the old non functional oil water and fuel are still there. The moon speedo fits perfectly over the old face. This way you can choose to go electronic or cable.Our old gauges are non functional with new ones below the dash.

8. Tedley's has my vote. You could also paint the grey inner circle black to make it blend in more. Looks great either way.

9. edisonfire

edisonfire

Picked up a 51 speedometer today. Will post pics of the install when i get it done. thanks for the ideas!

10. zefa46

zefa46
    from Bolton uk

Hi Any update on the 51 speedo

11. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'm curious about it as well