Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36-taildragger.....Made in Sweden

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Kenneth31coupe, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Boben

Boben
    from Sweden
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Great to see some progress at your own car :)

2. woodbox

woodbox

Looks like a good height to work at. I would be keen to see the stands fixed across the car to each other. It would be terrible to see the lot come crashing down if pushed sideways and a caster wheel gets hung up on a bit of something on the floor.

3. Woodbox.Appriciate the concern but it´s really a lot steadier and stable than it looks but of course I will fix them to each other as an extra security when and if I have to move it around.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. A little bit more done today. Made the patch panel for the center of the rear and cut a hole in it for license plate and got it tacked in. After welding I will make a box to be mounted from inside where the license plate will be installed in and with a glass in front of it with rubber seals between the glass and the rear panel I hope it will be water proof too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Here´s the box for the licence plate. Pluggwelded some small mounting tabs to it and made an inner frame for the glass to lay on and pluggwelded that as well. Made some simple mounting brackets with cage nuts on the backside and will plugg weld them from inside of the rear panel.Now I only have to make the glass. It will have a slight crowning to it and need to be heated for shaping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Yeah! Looking good!

7. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I've always liked that treatment for the plate. Nice work , as usual.

8. Thanks folks.

Well. The day after I was done with the licenceplate holder I realized I´ve made a hughe misstake.Welding mountingbrackets directly against the body skin is a big NoNo . By doing that there´s a risk the paint will crack and maybe even worse the body panel will crack around the welds. Dont know what to hell I was thinking but it´s done and only one thing to do about it. Redo it and do it right.I also needed to replace the stock bracing sitting behind the panel wich the spare tire holder is mounted to since it was cut out to make space for the licenceplate so I thought of combine the two things. Made two bracings ( one left and one right) reaching from bottom of the tool tray up to the bracing under the trunk opening.

[​IMG]

Made some small mountings and welded them to the bracings. These are upper mounts for the licenceplate holder.

[​IMG]

Then I made a crossmember to go between the two bracings for the lower mount.

[​IMG]

Mocked up for the last time before welding. Will also make an upper crossmember to stiffen up the area where the trunk latch will be attached to later.Also will drill three to four holes on top of the plate holder for light bulbs. Don´t have the sockets yet therefore I´ll wait doing that. No need to do everything twice..hehe

[​IMG]

9. taildragger1957

taildragger1957

I was going to mention that about the welds on the inside of the body. But you got waaaaaaay more skill than i could ever dream of having, so i kept my mouth shut. Amazing work on here. Thanks for sharing

10. layedout49

layedout49

Very nice work and amazing car

11. I wouldn´t get offended if you did.;)

Thank you.

Have welded the inner pan and made new outer lower corners. These inner and outer panels does not fit tight together in the lowest area where the bumper brackets are bolted. Many of 35-36´s I´ve seen are damaged when tightening the brackets against the body. I solved this problem by drilling a bigger hole for the bolt and sleeved it with a bit of round tubing to take up the torque instead of the panels.

The new corner.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the space between inner and outer panels

[​IMG]

Hole is sleeved

[​IMG]

The new rear.On this pic I have a plexi glass installed in front of the licence plate just to get an idea of how it will be with the real glass later on.

[​IMG]

12. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Thats awesome kenneth! Those tailpan corners are tough.great job

13. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

How did you get the car high enough to get those stands under the wheels? :confused:
    Impressive metalwork BTW.

14. Thanks Nate.This rear end have botherd me for some time and I´m glad it´s finaly finished. Now I can move on with the floors.

Thank you.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a car jack that lifts 3 feet at it´s highest and the stands are 2 feet high so that was quite simple:)

15. Have put on front end and runningboards for fitting and ligning up. Whant to have them aligned properly before start repair and kustomizing and boy they need a lot of work.Need some patching and the fit are really bad.Mocked up the grill and a headlight for motivation and to see what it takes to make them fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy, rodncustomdreams and 36 ROKIT like this.
  16. Well, judging by your tail-pan treatment (and those creative bumper mounts), you have the skills, and the effort it will take, to nail that iconic '40s look w/the Lasalle grille and '40 Chev? headlights. Gonna look great!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  17. redoxide

redoxide

Inspired .. Great work, just read the entire thread. Quality .. Remember and always make time for your own projects. Its to easy to shelve them when your toiling for other folk... ;)

18. GoonWorks

GoonWorks

Subscribed! As many have already said, this is great inspiration! Thanks

19. Beautiful work, following your build with much interest, Greetings from Minnesota

20. That front end looks terrific, even just mocked up, I can see it´s going to look killer.

21. Thanks Rokit.
    Thank you. I will make time for this even though it´s hard sometimes.
    Thank you very much.

Thanks a lot. Hope you will be satisfied
    Thanks James

22. Front end looks great Kenneth. Nice to see her moving forward.

23. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Kenneth;
    Car rocks. Wish I had only half of your metal-working skills. I'd be thrilled beyond words.
    On the LaSalle grill, if you haven't yet cut things up, it might be worth a look-see to put it upside-down.
    Seems the shape of it used in it's normal orientation gives a slightly odd effect, upside-down seems to work better, both for the grills' taper, & for the metal-shape-flow at the top & bottom 'corners' . Read about this eons ago, & have finally seen a couple of examples up close - years ago, but it is noticeable. One of my favorite grills on a '36 Ford, either way looks great, but I actually like them better upside-down.
    FWIW.
    Marcus...

24. vadstena bil

vadstena bil
    from sweden

Someone who has the same fenderskirts as Kenneths car for sale ? please contact him or send a mail and photos to [email protected] must be to 35-36 ford roadster Thanks Kenneth for this (add)

25. Thanks a lot Kip.I´m waiting inpatiently to see your interior finnished.

Thanks Marcus. I hear you and know what you means about the grill.I have tryed to put it upside down but I prefer it in the right position.Thanks for the input.

26. Have done some work on the frontend. Started to delete headlights mounts and horngrills. Will also delete the joint between the fender and the inner panel and weld them together as one piece.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Nice! 40 chevy headlights?

29. Thanks Nate.Actually 46 Truck but they are the same accept the turn lights on top.

chryslerfan55 and heyitsnate like this.