Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help wiring ford alternator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noxided, Jan 16, 2016.

1. noxided

noxided

I need a lot of help. I just bought a 67 cougar, I no its no hamb friendly but there is a lot of knowledge on here.

Anyways, the engine is a late model 5.0 and there is no wiring for the coil, there is no voltage regulator snd I can't figure out how to wire the alternator.

Can anyone help, this is all I need to get the Nitty Gritty Kitty to start.

Here is the factory alternator wiring

[​IMG]
    Here is the alternator
    [​IMG]

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I think with that alternator. The big post will go to battery. You could run a wire from the ignition side of the starter solenoid to the ''field '' terminal and it should work. I wired a G.M. style alternator that way and it worked fine. I now have a G.M. ''one wire'' on mine to make life easier.

3. noxided

noxided

I know the big one is batter, the small is ground. The two inside the connection aren't labeled.

4. 55willys

55willys

It looks like an internally regulated alternator. See if there are some identifying numbers on it and what year it is. This info will help when trying to find a wiring diagram that will shows what is what.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your car had the 1965-up wiring shown here:
    [​IMG]
    The inside connections are labeled, just on the side:
    [​IMG]
    They are FLD (field) and STR (stator), respectivly.

That appears to be a Ford large-case 1G alternator. It is EXTERNALLY REGULATED.

https://alternatorparts.com/ford-motorcraft-1g-type-large-case.html
    http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/ite...h-Output-Alternator--Externally-Regulated.htm

Wiring for that can be seen here:
    [​IMG]
    You will need to get a voltage regulator that would go with the donor vehicle, and wire it up as shown above.

As you can see, while the colors may be totally different, the connections have the same function.

In your case, your small yellow/black wire that comes from inside the car, that went to the old I terminal on the old voltage regulator would go to the I terminal on the new voltage regulator, where you see the light-green/red wire.

After that, connect as shown in the second diagram.

Your coil wiring will depend on if it is EFI, or carburetor, and on the coil you use, if it is carbureted (ballast resistor, or not).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are Ford's first internally (or on-board) regulated alternators:
    [​IMG]
    They are the 2G (second generation), and 3G (third generation) units, respectively.

The regulators are the black devices attached to the back.

You don't have one of these.

7. noxided

noxided

Ok, thanks guys. I the motor and alternator were from a 92 lincoln so I assumed it was internally regulated. Thanks.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 1992, the Lincoln Mark VII still used the 1G alternator.

The Mark VII was the only Lincoln in 1992 to have a 5.0. The others had a 3.8 or a 4.6.

9. noxided

noxided

Thanks guys, I went ahead and got s used 3g alternator with the harness for $50. That way I'll never need to work about charging at a low idle.

gimpyshotrods likes this.