Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Chevy

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by fordstandard, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Just picked up this fine 53 Club Coupe 210 Model --- This dude did some nice work to it.

Now we will finish her off. We will drop a SBC , Turbo 350 in it and we have a Chevelle rear going in as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. Slopok

Slopok

Looks like you're off to a very good start already.

3. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

Facebook has 49-54 chevy group and 49-54 chevy custom group. Car looks good.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Very nice. As far as tech goes I think you are already at the best place for that.

1953chevrolet.com has some cool info. It does mention that the 53 came in a club coupe and business coupe version. Without looking deeper I assume the business coupe probably didn't have the back seat.

Anyways, Good luck with it. Looks like it has a few nice things done already. Cesar

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. In the 50's, Sedans had 4 doors and Coupes had two.

7. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Love it! Not gonna see that roof on any factory 54's either. Put a 68 nova rear in ours, just a fraction under 60 inches wide between backing plates & a CE spring kit centers up super nice. Great beginning of a project. Congrats! Flux

8. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

What kind of skirts are those

9. The guy I bought car off of included these skirts - He showed me where they had to do a lot of glass work to form fit them to the body. I'll ask him what they came off of

10. Jibs

Jibs

I know that car, you bought it in Cranberry, PA, correct? What year Chevelle rear are you going to use? Very nice car.

11. Hi - I bought the car few months ago from a guy in the Pittsburg,Pa area He said he did the car,sold it to a guy who never finished it and he bought it back from him and put it up for sale I saw car online and we bought it.
    *** What can you tell me of the car? P.S I just friended your car club on facebook!

12. AlkyWagon

AlkyWagon

just needs some top surgery, now ;)

13. I created a facebook page called ; 1953chevycars

If you can spread the word to all 53 Chevy folks to get on it

14. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Nope - there were 2-door sedans as well - they had the larger rear windows
    1953chevrolet_04.jpg

Frankie47 likes this.
  15. What is the last letter on the cowl tag that sits on the top of the cowl, not the vin tag. A business coupe will be something like 1120B. That would be a business coupe. Business coupe's came without a back seat but, you could order things like interior sun visors left right or both, radio, heater and a back seat. Are the rear side windows stationary or do the slide back about 3 inches?

buhler1 likes this.
  16. Only the 150 model could be a Business coupe, OR a Club Coupe. The 210 couldn't be had as a business coupe. Being a 210 Club Coupe makes this the rarest '53 of all. I've seen ONE in person, and 3 or 4 in print. I heard there were less than 2500 of these built, and is the ONLY car in the universe that uses that back glass stainless trim. I used a '53 150 sedan back glass on my 210's chop, so no stainless. I would pay any price to get that trim, but it ain't ever gonna happen.

17. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Now you've made me want to go out've the dark & dig through the trim piled in the 210 club coupe to see if it's all there. I brought it home a day before Christmas. Solid old car, straight body & excellent underneath but a major project. I flopped the front cap on, shrink wrapped it all up & am still trying to decide what path to follow. My Dad recalls seeing one in the early 60s. Here's a few pics of her before I loaded her up. I was expecting a 150 & it was a 210 with rear seat. Beauty is in the cute little roof line. Flux
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  18. Look for a small tag higher up on the cowl, should have a 4 number and one letter on it, 1227 is a club coupe and 1227B is a Business Coupe. I recently sold a 1227B, Business Coupe, with fixed quarter windows AND a rear seat was installed along with a single driver's side sun visor. As far as the stainless trim on the back glass, I was wondering if the '49 '50 Oldsmobile would be the same.
    [​IMG]

flux capacitor likes this.
  19. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Car has the 210 side mouldings holes & stainless window trim, chrome glove box door, has rear seat, interior visors & both rear windows do slide back. I realized it was the tag in the LH door front window pillar "jam" , stainless steel. Appears to be a St. Louis built 210 Club Coupe. Thanks soo much for the input & to Fordstandard for the neat little "coupe" thread! Flux
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  20. freiertpc

freiertpc

so do the 2 door sedans have short front doors like a 4 door or longer one like a 2 door, i'm asking because I have a 4 door and may want to convert it to 2 door SANY0022 (800x600).jpg

21. freiertpc

freiertpc

I have this whole 54 pontiac to work with it's under side is totally roached and rotten frame but its open drive , the top, and rear quarters would be cool to swap over , still has the flat straight 8 in it for a future model A build. i'm gonna swap the rear into the chevy and front spindles before i do disc brakes so i can have 5x5 lug pattern for my 15" 70 lemans rallies. SANY0047.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am working on a 53 Chevy business coupe that I just picked up last month. It has an all original 216 3 on the tree and torque tube rear. It does run pretty good but I have a 283 engine without a home. Has any one considered running a 3 on the tree? I am looking real hard at doing it. I know the rear has to go but with a complete change I kind of miss the old 3 on the tree.
    I also have a 54 Pontiac 2 door hardtop. I am putting a 292 Chevy in it the straight 8 was toast.

23. Recent pics -have not decided on color to shoot car yet.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and flux capacitor like this.
  24. Gas tank out of S10 --- extra capacity, fit well under this car.

25. If the 6cyl runs good and the cars runs at good temp enjoy it and the 3 on tree. A lot is involved in converting to V8 and hoping the set up sits right, pinion is correct, runs without cooling issues etc...

26. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think my opinion differs. I believe this is a Hot Rod and Custom site not a restorers site which would be like the Ford Barn. The 331 Cadillac going into my 33 5 window is tough! trying to stuff a big block Cad into a 54 Pontiac was tough and if I wanted to change out the front suspension it would have worked. Not everybody loves the Chevy in a Chevy or a Ford in a Ford.
    I like the looks of your car and it is nice that you upgraded your drive train and brakes. I also believe 108 HP is anemic and even 190 HP from a 283 is a upgrade. That requires a rear axle change due to the torque tube. There is a time and place for torque tubes in traditional early Ford builds. I value every ones opinion and we can all learn from some one else's experience

chryslerfan55 likes this.