Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods photos/ memories of west seattle based '55 chevy in '63-'68

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dyno Dave, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Posting for a buddy... Bob Pontius is looking for photos/info on his old sedan that he street raced in early/mid sixties in the west Seattle area. The car was a 150 series 2dr. post sedan, white with wide maroon comp. stripes over the hood, roof & trunk, with matching white & maroon comp. striped roll & pleated interior. The '55 ran the streets with no front bumper, on American mags... A dual 4bbl 327 motor with 4 speed tranny, the '55 was cruised & street raced. Bob said he owned the car for 2/3 years during this time period. Sold it to Ron Whitehead who lived in the 6000 block on 13/14/15 th. SW in West Seattle and later it changed hands and was drag raced in the Bremerton area.
    Bob would really like to come up with some pictures and info, he's currently doing another '55... The Pontius family had Red, White & Blue Trucking and another business with the same name Red, White & Blue in West Seattle... Looking for photos/info...

Bob mentioned that Ron Whitehead had been killed, I was thinking car wreck or accident... Later Bob said, while driving to work Ron was waiting for a light change at a intersection, he was shot and the case has never been solved...
    Thanks for any help on this, Dyno Dave

Butch & R. Hooker, Thank You Guys,

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I just did a ZabaSearch.Com, and there are two Ron Whiteheads in Washington State; one is 71, the other 62. Bremerton Raceway also has some old photo albums covering many years back, but I don't recall seeing the car or photos however. Gordon Howell currently heads up the Handler's Racing Association, operators of the track since 1959; he may allow you to look at the albums. Sounds like a nice car; there are a few I'd like to have back or recreate.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

If Dad was still here, he'd probably know. He ran around the Seattle area from 1964-68 in a '57 Bel-Air 4-Door Hardtop out of Kenmore. I know he made it out to the Bremerton drags a few times. I have met a few people who remember him lunching the powerglide in the Wallingford Dick's parking lot in about '66. I'll try to get ahold of my uncle who may know more.

4. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Butch, in gathering info from Bob to post his '55 story, he said that he sold the sedan to Ron, and mentioned that Ron had passed away... Thanks for your help, Dyno Dave

5. verde742

verde742

ask Bob Jasper in Tacoma, He's got a good memory, and great guy , an upholster forever

6. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Still looking for photos/info on Bob's '55 210 post sedan, he has alot of stories of some heavy street racing back in the day... '63-'68 in the west Seattle area, thanks, Dyno Dave

7. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Back up for the evening crew... Haven't found any pictures of this white '55 150 series post sedan with front to rear wide maroon racing stripes, white interior with matching maroon comp stripes in the rolls & pleats. Ran with no front bumper and American mags, 327 dual 4bbls, & 4 speed...
    Thanks for looking, Dyno Dave

8. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

BBT

9. A Minus

A Minus

Wish my dad was still alive to ask, he lived in Tacoma and was drag racing in Western Washington & Oregon in those days. I'm sure knowing my dad there was some street racing going on too. He bought a Triumph when he got back from Germany and out of the Army in '61 and raced it up there for a number of years.

10. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

BBT