Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods wheels and tires for AD Chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ben s., Jan 15, 2016.

1. ben s.

ben s.
    from St. Louis

i'm looking for some thoughts on tires and wheels for my 1950 chevy truck. the truck is in my avatar and i'll attach some pictures to help out.

i'd like it to look more like a traditional truck than a hot rod. i like the steel wheels with the 'Chevrolet' center caps. right now i run Halibrand style big-n-littles, 15x10 rear and ~15x4.5 front. what has me going back and forth over tire size and selection is my new engine. i built a 406 sbc for it last winter. its pretty strong, 226/234* @.050" hyd. roller cam, AFR Aluminum heads, RPM intake, 9.5:1 c.r., fender well headers, that sorta thing. i dont know what kind of power it makes but it certainly can be a handful. the transmission is a built th350 with a shift kit and 26-2800 stall. the rear end is a Ford 8.8 with a 3.27 gear and an auto-locker (lunchbox style) with a single ladder bar.

that being said, i was wondering what kind of tire size would work well with this. the truck is currently lowered 2", but i've considered raising it to stock height. also, i'm still using the stock front axle because i like it. i've swapped on the disc brakes with updated bearings and such. at any rate, i'd like the tire to fill the wheel well more, something in the 28-30" range. the tires could remain mismatched with the larger in the rear or they could be the same size. i'm just looking for some ideas. i'm running radials now and i like them, although i've never ran a bias ply. current sizes are 295/50/15 and 165r15.

thanks for your thoughts.

-Ben.

Attached Files:

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sounds like you have plenty of power - what type of suspension on it? going for a sleeper look? if so, better hide headers & dual exhaust. and add lots of of engine sound deading. most people find a big difference running radials vs bias ply. Coker offers a bias ply looking radial. had a '54 Ford PU with a built 283 Corvette motor with 30/30 cam & solid lifters, otherwise stock truck. was fun to be at a stop sign and watch people hearing that motor and looking around for the Corvette.

3. On my 52 GMC, considerably lower than yours, I run 255/60R15 on 15x8 wheels in back. It has1/4 to 1/2 inch clearance on inner and outer of the rear wheelwell. Can't fit any bigger unless you put tubs into the bed area or wider fenders. I do not want either, so here is my GMC. This is in-construction pic, it is done now but this pic shows the rear tire fit:
    [​IMG]

4. These are 6.70 -15s on a 5" wide wheel. I think they have the look...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMG_2323.jpg

wraymen likes this.

5. ben s.

ben s.
    from St. Louis

The suspension on it is rebuilt stock front axle with disc brake conversion and lowered leaf springs. Uses the C10 style steering box that mounts to the outside of the frame rail.
    Rear suspension is stock refreshed leaf springs, Ford 8.8 31spline axles, 3.27 gear with a lunch box drop in locker. I added a ladder bar style torque arm to the center at the pumpkin. It runs to the cross member behind the cab and mounts with a newer 1/2 ton chevy leaf spring shackle.

I like y'alls trucks, they look sharp.

6. ben s.

ben s.
    from St. Louis

I think I like the sleeper look. What looks nice to me is the full looking tires on a chevy 3600. I like the meaty tire look with the larger sidewalls. I think I'm after that.

7. ben s.

ben s.
    from St. Louis

this truck has the look. something like this.

Attached Files:

DHeep likes this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Wow, talk about oranges and apples. You have a hot powertrain setup and antiquated suspension and you tire ideas seem not a good match for the circumstances. I notice your rear fender wheel openings have been enlarged, making it more difficult to "fill them up" with a tire. Maybe a stock fender would serve your purposes better?

For better handling, I believe front and rear tires of equal, or more nearly equal, size would be a good place to start, no matter the type (radial/bias) you choose. 'Big and Littles' look great on some hot rod coupes and roadsters, but not so much on fat fender vehicles, in my opinion.

Ray

low budget likes this.
  9. ben s.

ben s.
    from St. Louis

Yeah the rear fender openings were enlarged. I'm planning on replacing them.

It's been hacked together over the years because I couldn't decide on one way to go. I'm trying to bring it back around.

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

x2

11. 41FordVert

41FordVert

I have a 4" dropped axle from Sid. Upgraded the front tie rods and got him to modify the steering arm. Lowered the rear 3.5". Running steel Chevy 15x7 steel wheels. Was running 275/75/15's until a belt broke. Found a new set of Coker white walls that are 235/75/15. WILL THESE WORK?? Or will they be too wide?? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465786368.754073.jpg

12. - 47 ad and 37 cpe 5-1-12 003.jpg 205-75-15's front on 15 x 7 rim, 235-75-15's on rear on 15 x 8 rims

mcsfabrication likes this.
  13. Matt Davis

Matt Davis

Not understanding your question, these are smaller width tires that your thinking about putting on so why would they not work?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

HMMMM. I went over 100k miles on two sets of 215 85R 16's. I finally powder coated a set of 17" Artilleries and run a fresh set of Michelin 235 75R 17's. The 16" combination was 30.4", the 17" combo is 30.8. These are the 16's...

[​IMG]