Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Trog 2016 official thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bobby Green, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Hey Fellas.
    Mel and I figured it would be better to start a fresh thread, then to have multiples.

Let me start by telling you this, it broke our hearts last year when hurricane Joaquin wiped out our plans for the weekend, and we were getting phone calls emails and messages all day about how much money people were losing and about how the airlines and hotels were not offering refunds or discounts and we knew right then, after narrowly avoiding a storm every year prior, that if we didn't change the date for Wildwood we were looking at more potential disasters.
    We love our racers and our fans, and if we can change the weekend to a month that is much more mild and nice, and still falls before the busy season which really doesn't start until kids are out of school near the end of June then we were going to take that opportunity.. We have scouted that weekend for the last couple years, and it is still very slow around the town and usually a little too cold to be on the beach laying out, and the city thought it was A perfect time for the race, so we seized the opportunity.

We love Wildwood, and we will never leave that awesome town. So come on everybody, let's do this!

Build it, race it, break it, fix it…… Repeat!

2. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

What weekend are you talking about? The last one in June?

3. 62hotcat

62hotcat

First weekend June 4-5

4. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Same rules as last year or any changes?

5. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Pretty much the same as last year, a couple more detailed rules on our website under info... check it out.
    www.theraceofgentlemen.com

6. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452212054.026754.jpg

7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

BOBBY! You got some splain' to do,,,
    Westcoasters want more Pismo info,,,,,,

mctim64 likes this.
  8. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Marking down the date...surfs up!!

nosdan likes this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

be sure to book you rooms now. easier to change later. Pismo near beach not cheap, even on an off weekend.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  10. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

haha Hi Tony,.... Here, hope this helps...

Welcome race fans to the Race of Gentlemen 2016 lineup!
    We are very excited this year to announce the addition of a West Coast race!
    Now everyone gets two chances to enjoy the rich heritage of American innovation and speed.

We will be moving our East coast race to June, so no more hurricanes to threaten our fun, and the West coast will be in October when the weather's just right.

As ye olde Mariners and watermen would say, “Time and tide wait for no man”
    While we love the excitement of living on the edge and a good gamble, we would rather place our bets on which machine crosses the finish line, then trying our odds on sidestepping another big October storm.

Please stay tuned for more detailed information in the next coming weeks but we can promise you lots of thrills and chills are in store. More non stop racing action than ever before

All tickets from Hurrican Joaquin that didn't get used will be honored in June.

And don't worry, Wildood is still a ghost town. The season doesn't get started until July when the kids get outta school so we'll still have the town to ourselves!

11. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Music to my ears!

12. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

No time to check it....12 weeks to get this thing together!!!!!! :(

13. Hopefully I'll see you guys at pismo!

ROCKER77 likes this.
  14. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

15. I'll be there in Wildwood and as much as I wanted to have a car built to run I just don't think I'll have time to do that and go to work and take care of my boys by the April 5th cut off. No matter I'll just have more time to prep for 2017. I won't miss this show ever again it was awesome just being there and watching. Its way more than a car show\race. As long as its going on I'll do my damdest to be there.

16. jkeesey

jkeesey

Will probably be down for the Saturday this year. Barely made it in racing last year so I'd don't expect that to happen again.

17. June should be fun!

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

And the middle coast race at near Corpus Christi, TX will be in 2017? Or Ormond Beach, FL? Hey, just brainstorming the possibilities! Gary

19. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Any recommended campgrounds?

20. metal man

metal man

There seems to be something wrong with the website. The toolbar with "info" and "gallery" ,etc. Will only show up for less than a second. I can't click on it. Maybe just put the info here?

21. ELD

ELD

2016 RACING QUALIFICATIONS AND ENTRY INFORMATION
    "Period Correct" is what TROG is looking for. We go to great lengths to get all the structures, banners, signage and more just right to emulate beach racing from the 1930's and late 1940's.
    Overall appearance is important for your vehicle or bike to be chosen. Cars and motorcycles that fit the look of authentic racing vehicles from the early 1900's to the early post-war era have a greater chance of being selected. Modify your car or bike for racing, they must be bobbed and stripped down for racing.
    You may be asked to modify your vehicle to better fit the look and feel of the race. Space is limited and submissions are hand selected for their authenticity. All entries must be pre-approved and must comply with the spirit of the event. Any vehicles that raced the previous year will be put on the waitlist. Sorry, no trucks or sedans.
    Submissions are due by April 5th for New Jersey and August 1st for California. Only completed race cars and bike should apply. We will not approve incomplete projects. We must see your machine ready to race in order to review your submission.
    To enter, please email a detailed description of your machine with pictures to [email protected]
    COMPETITION CAR SPECS:
    YEAR: 1934 or older, American made only
    ENGINE: 1953 or older, American made
    FUEL: Gas only, no alcohol or nitro
    RUNNING GEAR: 1953 and older. No modern transmissions, disc brakes, alternators, etc.
    ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS AND RESTRICTIONS: No headlights, no white wall tires, no fenders on hotrods (some early-teens speedsters and racers may be exempt, but must be pre approved). Cars can be shiny or crusty as long as they are PERIOD CORRECT!
    COMPETITION CLASSES:
    4 BANGERS: 4 cylinder American made motors. Flathead and Overhead conversions compete in the same class
    V8 FLATHEADS: 8 cylinder factory flathead American made motors prior to 1920 (ie; Duesenberg, Stutz, Speedsters, Indy cars, etc)
    If you want to enter a pre '53 six or twelve cylinder motor and your car is approved, you will run as an Exhibition Car only

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    mctim64 likes this.
  22. ELD

ELD

Inaugural Race of Gentlemen Pismo Beach, California
    10/15- 10/16
    Join us to experience the greatest race on earth! The Race of Gentlemen is an automotive carnival that celebrates American racing heritage. A true homage to automobile and motorcycle history, hosted by the Oilers CC/MC. Spectators and racers alike will experience a simpler time of when guys were gentlemen and cars were king! Stultz & Green Productions will exhibit their hand-selected group of gentlemen, who will showcase their pre-war machines at the water's edge on the beach of Pismo (Grover) Beach, California. Commonly referred to as TROG for short, the carefully curated event will give you a history lesson and an unforgettable weekend, all rolled into one.
    Race fans, hold onto your seats while vintage motorcycles and automobiles battle it out on the shore against the rising tides for your viewing pleasure. Indian, Harley-Davidson, Excelsior, Ford, Dodge Brothers and more! An extraordinary display of why America's love for vintage automotive will never fade. Do not miss your chance to see these fine men flog their jaw-dropping machines on the sand, just like in days gone by.
    Tickets
    http://the-race-of-gentlemen.ticketleap.com/trog-california/

23. ELD

ELD

5th Annual Race of Gentlemen Wildwood, New Jersey
    6/4-6/5
    Join us to experience the greatest race on earth! The Race of Gentlemen is an automotive carnival that celebrates American racing heritage. A true homage to automobile and motorcycle history, hosted by the Oilers CC/MC. Spectators and racers alike will experience a simpler time of when guys were gentlemen and cars were king! Stultz & Green Productions will exhibit their hand-selected group of gentlemen, who will showcase their pre-war machines at the water's edge on the beach of Wildwood, New Jersey. Commonly referred to as TROG for short, the carefully curated event will give you a history lesson and an unforgettable weekend, all rolled into one.

Race fans, hold onto your seats while vintage motorcycles and automobiles battle it out on the shore against the rising tides for your viewing pleasure. Indian, Harley-Davidson, Excelsior, Ford, Dodge Brothers and more! An extraordinary display of why America's love for vintage automotive will never fade. Do not miss your chance to see these fine men flog their jaw-dropping machines on the sand, just like in days gone by.
    Tickets
    http://the-race-of-gentlemen.ticketleap.com/trog-new-jersey/

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I read through the rules several times and don't see anything on six cylinders that are correct year and design wise. Mine being a 254 Ford Flathad six. Would this just run with the V8 cars or ?

CrazyUncleHarry likes this.
  25. Rules and gallery images seem to be vague and somewhat in conflict - it says no sedans or trucks not to mention no fenders or headlights but there are pics of all that appear to be in competition. Competition car specs indicate pre-54 American engines but the Competition Classes only show 4 cyl and Flathead - does that mean ONLY flathead V8s or any pre-54 American engines? I've got a '53 241 Dodge Red Ram hemi - would it be allowed?

Thanks,
    Steve

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. Jay T. Judd

Jay T. Judd

OK, So now for the bad news ! I just called the Motel I have stayed at for the past 2 years. He was surprised and had not heard about the date change. He also said that the week of June 4-5 there is a convention scheduled and also prom weekend. He said at this time he could not take a reservation but would take my name and number if anything changes. It also it the same week as Nat's East in York Pa. I hope Mel and the Oiler's did the right thing ! ?

Scooterville likes this.
  27. Mr48Chev, a Flathead six may be accepted, but as quoted up in post #21, it would only run exhibition, and not in the brackets against the 4's or 8's. (You could still grudge race those guys and have a blast, but you wouldn't be in competition for a class win.) If there are enough of us with sixes, and we ask nicely, we might get to do an informal bracket of our own.

Steve, the V8 class is almost exclusively flathead. OHV conversions are well accepted in the banger class, and ARDUN conversions have run before. But stock OHV V8's are unlikely to be accepted.

Caveat: This is just my experience. Double check with the Oilers if in question.

28. Been to East Coast beach towns and aside from the locals or someone going on a day drive thats still what they call "mid season" so it shouldn't be too bad. The east coast beach towns usually have a off, mid, peak, season, 3 weeks later and it would be a different story.

I'll be shocked if there's not some sort of environmental uproar about driving cars on the beach on So Cal....should be two great events.

29. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I am so in for the west coast event... in 2017.

Dammit, of all years to be stuck in Iraq.

Brujo29 likes this.
  30. Dude. I was just thinking about that!! Damnit!!!