Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does your better half / girlfriend encourage your obsession?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

Yep! loves old cars...talked me into buying a couple of our project cars for her.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. pumpman

pumpman

great room.jpg Met flight control in 3rd grade, married before Nam, still together. She's not hands on but helps me when I ask her to help and is totally on board with cars and our gas & oil collection. We turned our garage into a place to display (her idea) our cars and collection where we watch football and nascar. Really luck out with my partner. This is part of the garage which we call our great room.

3. well yea.

She does draw the line at even number wheels and no green though.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I lucked out as my Girlfriend likes going to car shows and surprisingly swap meets. When we travel she always asks if I looked to see if there were any shows or museums in the area. She even started a collection of toy trucks and cars of the 30's (Wyandotte, Marx & Girard).

volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. stimpy

stimpy

she should we got married at the dragstrip ..

6. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

My wife went to the Street Rod Nationals in 1972 and very little since, once my son was old enough to go she quit. She doesn't complain about the 4 cars I have, the money or time spent on them so I guess that's all I can ask for. I've got to the point where I don't go to very many shows myself, don't enjoy sitting around and watching people dust their cars.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

How I meet her is she was zippin by where I was working one day and I asked the boss,Hey,who,s that girl in the 47 Ford.Girls dont like old cars. He replied..Thats actually is my sister. And the rest is history. My wife knows whats cool!!! Our third date was to the 86 Hershey Fall Swapmeet.

8. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

The '47 in my avatar is my wife's car. She doesn't drive it much and usually I'm in the car with her. She won't let me sell it though. She doesn't mind the car hobby, She actually likes old cars. She knew I was a gear head when we met. I tell her all the time she can buy whatever she wants, no restrictions. I get the same benefit. But the only time she comes out to the garage is to tell me it's late and come to bed. BTW, I put the car projects on hold for about a year to re-model the house and re-do the kitchen. She seems very happy now.

HOTRODPRIMER and i.rant like this.
  9. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Been married 46 years. My problem is I have to work on her cars before I can work on mine. If I want to buy another car, I have to sell one or two. If she wants another car, she gets it. Although she surprised me with a 50 Ford F-1 for my birthday 9 years ago. That was great except that I was watching a flathead powered 32 5 window on ebay at the time that went for 15k. If she would have asked me first, I would have steered her to ebay. Don't get me wrong, I've had lots of fun with the truck. Two weeks after I got it I turned it into Tow Mater from CARS. And it's almost a daily driver.

A week before our 45th anniversary I asked her what she wanted. She replied "A Nomad that runs." Her other one had been apart for 10 years. She went on line and found one. We went to look at it the next day. The following weekend (anniversary day) we went to get it.

About 6 years ago she was looking for a 63 Valiant like we had when we got married. I found one on ebay, she said buy it. I flew to Indianapolis and drove it home.

She also has an OT 2003 Mini Cooper and a 2001 PT Cruiser with wide whites (used to have lakes pipes and lots of other "50's stuff" on it".

She's also into the 50's scene. You should see our house.

So, I guess my answer would be yes.

10. Fedman

Fedman

Short answer.... Yes
    Fedwoman and I met at the Dragstrip way back in the "Day"
    There has been no part of our Car experiences that she has not been directly involved in.
    When we were racing, planning the race dates, trip arrangements, general Manager duties.
    Helping on the Dragster, Starting it in the staging lanes, Backing me up... and God help me if I did not listen to where she wanted the Car in the tracks. :D
    All of my Shop stuff, Hot Rods, and General Car stuff she has supported without fail.
    I feel that I am the Luckiest of the Lucky to have her as my "Fedwoman"

11. trollst

trollst

Sometimes.....sometimes she'll ride in the truck, sometimes she don't. Never comes in my shop, never has, been 36 years, we used to ride two wheels, she was a LOT of fun then, but so was I, we just bought 2 thousand dollars worth of gas range, so she gets even with my spending from time to time. Over all, I'm pretty lucky to have her, lets just say that she tolerates my hobby, informs her friends that ask about my time in the shop, says she knows where I am, unlike their husbands. She's still pretty, unlike me, uglier and balder than I was young, but we're growing old together, could be worse.

12. clem

clem

Those 7 year olds are good at match making..........

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

:):)
    Joanne is Ma Fedco and Geoff is Fedco Jr:):)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    HOTRODPRIMER and Fedman like this.
  14. My wife (RIP) always liked cars. We went to a lot of car shows together and she was with me for years at the track when I had stock cars. I'd always have her take cars off the trailer and have her put them back on when we were done racing. We did the Rumbler's show in Brooklyn a few years in a row. Now I eventually have to break in a new one when I'm ready to date again.

HOTRODPRIMER and Fedman like this.
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

This is some seriously funny shit...:p

16. Yep, been hotrodden together for 39 years. Corvette Cheryl.jpg

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes Buddy you are correct. The car as it is now grew up here on the HAMB and still graces the threads here and there. We're having fun with it rumbling here and there. Thanks for the videos. I have tracked its past right down to the back of a pickup truck at a swap meet. It is an interesting ride well thought out by the hotrod creator even if it was for the wife :D.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Model T1

Model T1

YES! Been together over 58 years, married 57 of that. Some happily! This ain't no fairy tale!
    After less than a year married I bought my first project, 1931 Model A coupe. I've had various projects ever since.
    Even before that when dating she knew I was messin with my old '49 Dodge.
    It's her fault I bought my first '55 Chevy, a few other cars, and parts I might need someday. We've been attending cruise nites, swap meets, and car shows ever since.
    Funny, my wife does not even drive and can't tell a monkey wrench from a Goodwrench but helps find parts in junk yards, swap meets, and yard sales.
    We've spent days wandering muddy, cold, rainy, even hot humid sunny days in salvage yards on vacations. In fact many vacations were created around car events, junk yards, and car museums. She's been known to tell GF's at least she knows where I am all hours of the night when their husbands are hanging out in some bar.
    Circle tracks, drag strips, and biker events were places we'd go for birthdays and anniversaries.
    We may not have much but life has been good together. Model T 4.JPG XYZ Dollie A (1).jpg TurkeyRun 2005 008.jpg TurkeyRun 2006 (142).jpg
    Always making me, old cars, and my girlfriends look better.

19. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

She's not into it, but can appreciate why I am. She'll go to an occasional show with me, but that's the extent of it. We used to get into arguments about the money part...not because I was spending money we needed for other things, but because she wasn't able to make money on the side like I do. So, in order to keep the peace, whenever I get extra money from reselling something or from scrap metal, I put some in her kitty and she can spend it however she wants. Oh, and when Christmas or her birthday rolls around, I make sure that I buy her some jewelry that costs way more than she would ever spend, so we're good...

Chris

20. '48IHC

'48IHC

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452372927.990711.jpg

My fiancé loves the old cars and all the Art Deco styled furniture, lamps and such. We are even having a 1920's themed wedding, which I am stoked for! Her idea even!

The picture above is one of our engagement photos with my moms '31. She will be riding into the wedding in that car also.

She is in law school and is always telling people how proud she is of me and the work I do. That is such an unbelievably great feeling. I'm truly the luckiest guy.

She wants a convertible with 50's styling so that will be my next project after the wedding.

21. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Funny your should say that, because Jerry stuck to his guns at first about it being for Steph , but she quickly realized it wasn't going to happen , lol ! I may have some build pics of the car as well , as I was helping him work on it. It surely came along way, no doubt. Personally, I would've had some kinda exhaust on it right away - it was way too loud inside with that aluminum roof ... As you know. Glad to see you're enjoying that sucker.

HOTRODPRIMER and Stogy like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know there was a lot of HAMBer involvement in it. You guys all did a great job of it. I hope Steph got to drive it at least a couple of times... It had cherry bombs on it when I got it and yes it was loud and still is. Still working on remodeling the tone a little. Sounds like a WWll bomber (very fitting rivets and all). If you have images to share PM them that would be great.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. She is supportive- loves the traveling and the cruises but not sitting at a show all day- usually we do one sit down show a month- we'll walk about and look at the cars- then she's ready to leave-

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. . Married in 75 she was 16 my vette is a 68 . We drove it to Disney world from va. on our Honeymoon. also two children two grand kids with one on the way. I still LOVE her and the vette . grand kids LOVE road trips in the HOT RODS . but when I tell her we need to talk she just ask OK what did you buy this time ? ha. ha .

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    Model T1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. I am one of the LUCKY ONES also. We were hitched in a 40 Ford I built for her and she likes the idea of knowing were I am at everyday (The Shop) working on hot rods. When I found my latest 32 Ford 3 window and ask her what she thought about me starting another build. Her reply is go get it and build it.
    But don't take ten years to do it.
    Love her very much....

Model T1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. clem

clem

39 years..... Does she get to ride up front now or still in the back as this pic shows.:)

27. frosty-49

frosty-49

MY wife does not go to many shows, as I mostly do car talk. She does like the trek to Ocean City every year and is proud of the car and knows all the answers to all the questions about the car, but is not a car person. The grandkids like it and sometimes drive it down the boardwalk. Makes me proud to see that.

28. 41 coupe

41 coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from bristol pa

No she really hates it,Mainly because of all the money I've spent over the years,But we will be married 42 years in May so I guess she Loves Me anyway.

29. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

My wife is a tree hugger and couldn't care less for my cars. All they are is polluters and money pits as far as she is concerned. She wants an electric car for the little bit of driving that she does, won't even drive it on the freeway. Does not like the way I drive, can count on one hand the amount of times she has ridden in my cars. She likes gardening (I hate it) and going to Neil Young concerts (also hate it) when he is in town as well as being with the grand kids. We are closing in on forty years of marriage and our differences seem to bind us together. All being said, I love her very much.

Model T1 likes this.
  30. wicarnut

wicarnut

Yes, Always been my Friend/Lover/Partner, have stated this before, I' m a very LUCKY man !