Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 Ford 5 window

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Drag'n 59, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

NO, please don't put skirts on it again. :) It looks so good without them.

2. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

100% pure hot rod.

3. All it comes down to is personal preference...

(Great car!)

4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Ah hell, just put on one skirt and everybody should be happy.:D
    Keep the skirts and run them when you want in order to provide a change of pace once in awhile. Sort of like having an extra set of wheels and tires. My trouble is that once I get riding; I don't want to stop to make a few changes. I was supposed to only drive my avatar one year before reworking the body and paint and I drove it over 4 years before finally digging in. I'm so pleased with the outcome that I could kick myself for not doing it much sooner!
    Keep working and keep your options open.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Al

5. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

Unfortunately my '36 caught fire Thursday night and burned up a bunch of wiring. Luckily the damage was only contained to wiring and fuel lines. No paint damage or anything else. I acted quickly with the water hose and had it out pretty fast. Still can't believe it happened, but looks like I am now forced to do some things I was not
    ready to do. Full rewire, new tail lights, some motor work and a few other small things.

6. Damn the luck. I once had a car that I had built from a total. it was as sweet as it was going to get. my Ol man was flying in for a visit and th night before I was to pick him up at the airport I had an electrical fire on the my home from work. So I picked him up with no dash and just enough wiring to make it run.

Anyway you'll get past it. Its still a neat ol heap.

7. Shit !!! Thank gawd' for the quick hose access. What a great ride. ... envy, ENVY, E N V Y !!!!

Drag'n 59 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thankfully you were able to distinguish the fire quickly, but that still must have been scary and thankfully the damage was contained and could have been way worse....or a total loss.

Any idea on what caused the fire or where it initiated?

Drag'n 59 likes this.
  9. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

Seems it was a fuel leak at the carb. Gas ran back down the line and eventually a wire or connection ignited it. Burned up about 5 wires or so. Never leaked before, jut one of those things that happen. Got real lucky it didn't do any major damage. Very thankful.

10. I had the same dilemma as to what to do with the fill neck. I really didn't want it in the trunk but couldn't really see any other option. If you use the Hudson tail lights maby you can hinge the light and hide the filler underneath like a 55 chevy. Just a thought.
    To bad about the fire. Good luck with the repair.

11. Thanks to the sweet lord that you were able to get the fire out before any serious damage was done. Hey at the end of it you will have the motor running cherry and a freshly wired ride, and what a sweet ride it is.

Drag'n 59 likes this.
  12. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

Yeah, I really like what you did for the fuel location. Looks great. Hope it keeps the fumes out. I may eventually do something similar.

13. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

Got some cool pics of the car where it was found.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. He shoot's,he scores and the crowd goes wild!

Congratulations. HRP

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

The truck was nice but I've always been partial to 36 five windows. Nice car. enjoy.

Gary

Drag'n 59 likes this.
  16. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Wow...that had to have been an incredible find !

Drag'n 59 likes this.
  17. dudley32

dudley32

love the car..the stance..and the skirts...

18. That thing looks mean! Here's a pic of my 36 project ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439352835.790449.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Drag'n 59 like this.
  19. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

So since the fire, I have torn all the wiring out and begun to re-wire the car. A few upgrades to the motor were in order also. Did a bit of research also. So from what I have gathered, my '36 was bought at Ed Maher Ford in 1936. The dealer was located at Jefferson and Bishop in Oak Cliff. It was the only ford dealer in Dallas until 1939 when Horn-Williams Ford opened. The woman who bought it named it "Blue Echo" it is written on all the receipts I have for it. She lived in Irving until her passing in 2006. Her name was Inez Inglish "Sally" Evans
    Interesting find in the valley... I've seen it all now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Seat is in desperate need of help. Hope I can get it recovered soon.
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

Decided against restoring the original gauges, so i bought some Classic instrument gauges. Was tough having to cut the dash, but it had to be done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I really love them, they have a nice vintage look. I'm only a couple days away from having it back on the road. All the new wiring is done, I now have functioning tail lights, brake lights and blinkers. Just need to dial in the motor a little more and she will be ready to go.

21. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

Making a spacer so I can mount the clock in the waterfall.
    [​IMG]

22. Hell that seat will clean up, a little work with the vacuum and some fabreeze and you're golden. :D

I like the fact that you are keeping this old heap alive, I hope you are driving it so that it doesn't get all tight on you.

I am an old gauge hoarder, uh collector if you decide to toss them by the way.

Drag'n 59 likes this.
  23. Deadbird

Deadbird

Nice coupe. I would do that trade in a heartbeat and I love my truck.

24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

This 36 Coupe was built down here recently and has providence. This is the original car Wally bought in 'Leave it to Beaver'. Now and then. 36-coupe.jpg
    [​IMG]

orula, stanlow69 and pecker head like this.
  25. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

Took some smacking around to get the old, beat up steering wheel off, but got it off and put on the '47 Lincoln wheel.
    [​IMG]

26. pecker head

pecker head

Hope to see in AUSTIN .

27. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

Me too! I will be driving it, pretty confident. Little bit of tweaking to get it running just right, but shouldn't be a problem.

28. LMFAO I collect wheels too. :D :D :D

The Lincoln wheel looks good, steady on makin' it your car. Good on you. :cool:

That box is getting pretty big you may as well send me the original flatty while you are at it. :D :D

29. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

Ha! Yeah I have quite a bit of stuff laying around from it. Unfortunately I do not have the flathead. It was pulled out before I got my hands on the car. I believe the previous owner still has it though, unless he has sold it.

30. LOL for some reason I was under the impression that it had landed in your lap.

I like what you are doing with the old car, making it yours without ruining the integrity of it.