Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage TROG DateMove. Love it or Hate it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boon BA, Jan 7, 2016.

1. mike bowling

mike bowling

I don't see not going as "boycotting" the event- it won't matter if some of the participants from past years don't show; with the coverage and promotion with major sponsors involved, it has become a kind of "must do" deal to attend- I'm sure it will continue to draw a crowd.

I'm glad I went last year to experience what is a unique event ( even with a few "bumps in the road"). Nothing's ever the same as the "first time"- this year will just be the first time for a different crowd.

They've hit on something really big with this thing, and no matter how many screw-ups occurred last year, it's a lot of work and politics to pull it off. I believe Mel truly started this with his love of traditional hot rodding and racing in mind and it took off like wildfire. ( Too bad he couldn't have re-scheduled that hurricane!)

Success will determine the course of events now; it's not just an idea discussed over a few beers in the backyard anymore.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  2. z-4wheldrft

z-4wheldrft
    from s.e.pa.

having lived in wildwood for a lot of years I think this is a bad move june is open season there an prom week is crazy with kids I don't think you will be able to drive your cars or bikes around at all like before .

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. ...as history has shown, the first few years of some "new" events are their best ones, things happen, the event gets lots of ink, everybody and his brother wants to go, it almost gets too big too handle, dates change, venues change and it's just not the same event,...or at least the same feeling the originals had.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    lothiandon1940 and Speedy Canuck like this.
  4. I agree with everything you've said. "Get while the getting's good" comes to mind.

But maybe that's the key with 'smaller' versatile events like this. Maybe the promotional wave needs to be ridden in a different way... 3 years in Wildwood, head to California. 3 years there, then maybe take it to Florida. The success of past locations would open the door and pave the way to new locations, and the periodic venue changes would prevent things getting 'too' big.

Who knows. I'm just happy to have witnessed the magic for the first couple of years.

5. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

6. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Bad move... It's not just the racing, but the whole weekend is Awesome. The streets are only filled with hot rods and bikes. It's a ghost town in October. I raced on the beach than drove down to the Wawa to fill up my tank... A 1930s race car! Lol. At night me and the wife with the rest of the club drove race cars to dinner. Like I said the whole experience is Awesome. But sadly it's over. I'm afraid TROG "jumped the shark" :(

legion and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. and if they didn't change the date....and another hurricane rescheduled things again....I bet no one would bitch about that either.

8. You can't make everyone happy. I think the Oilers are doing the best they can. You can't stop a hurricane but a hurricane can stop TROG. Maybe 2017 will be the last week in may instead. Its trial and error till you get it just right. How many times has speed week been canceled cause of weather.....

ABONES likes this.
  9. Hey maybe with the new date, it'll be a smaller crowd like the first couple years. :)

10. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

The cops were cool in 2015 but they were very visible. In the second w/end of Oct, there was NOBODY in the streets except us hotrodders and the cops. If you think for one second that you can get away with runnin an un-registered, un-insured car in June, at the beach, in New Jersey- you are loco. Good luck

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. I don't know about crowd size, but should be a smaller entry pool I bet; for new cars at least.

Just curious, but ELD, are you going to start a thread like last year? Was great for scoping out the competition!

12. ELD

ELD

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  13. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Any recommended campgrounds in the area ?

14. There are some campgrounds off island.

15. That was my plan for Oct. Now that its June I'm not gonna have time to finish it for the race, just being realistic. But yeah I agree with you that it would never fly in June.

16. ELD

ELD

You all do realize the town, the mayor and local business have passionately supported this event and asked for it to come back for the last four years, don't you? The cops know what events are going in in town on any giving weekend. Be cool they'll be cool.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

pat59 likes this.
  17. ELD

ELD

The mayor pours draft beers for ya in the beer garden every year. He knows the cars didn't just come off a trailer at the dealership, he's fully aware of the event he's dealing with. It's not like the guys sneak into town the week before slide heavy equipment operators a coupla fivers to move earth for three days, run clandestine races on the beach for two days while slipping Ben Franklins to a few police officers to turn their back and then sneak out of town. There's four years of meetings and negotiations with suits to get it together. They've done a damn good job so far, have a little faith and confidence in the fellas, go and then find something to complain about after the fact, some often do.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

First of all, out of the greater population there are only few that are into traditional hot rods. Secondly, events that bring us together are few in number. Thirdly, a place to actually run/race our cars is so rare that it almost seems impossible to actually have an event like ROG. Finally, to have this extravaganza on beach in a town filled with classic neon, funky old hotels, and a boardwalk is like a dream. There is a ton of work, planning, organizing, production, etc. etc. that go into an ambitious project like this. All of us should embrace TROG and appreciate the fact that Bobby, Mel, the Oilers, and everyone involved even put it on. Stop crying and race!

19. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

Well the plow boy has thrown in the towel for 2016. To bad I can not get a Sponser to pay my way, no way. I think I will save my build money and go to the Frog Follies and eat and drink . Don with mixed feelings.

20. Tedders

Tedders

Responded no to the rpu..

Attached Files:

21. joe1250esm

joe1250esm
    from RI

And why they got to plan it for a weekend that the NHRA has an event on the east coast

22. Pismo will be fine. They have allowed beach access to sand toys since the day can't remember when. Great town for this event.

OL 55 likes this.
  23. ELD

ELD

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452514465.023373.jpg
    Pismo Beach 1920's

This thread was created solely to create conflict by the very nature of its title.
    I posted the link to their official 2016 thread above. Feel free to post your comments there. All opinions welcome, but you underestimate Stultz-Green at your own peril. I think everyone who can, should go and find fault after you've experienced this amazing event. And if you think you can do it better by all means organize your own event. There are always snafu's but they learn quickly and correct course appropriately.

24. Boon BA

Boon BA

@ ELD Conflict, no. Discussion and feedback for the guys, yes. Like I said.. I got my room reserved.

25. legion

legion

They don't want anyone's opinion... Just go look at last years TROG thread. The writing was on the wall then. The racers are last in line... Spectators are second, and Sponsers are number one. We all knew it was going to Cally as soon as Bobby got involved. And it's not hard to figure out that the guys from Japan cutting in line all day where someone important. Soon TROG will be over seas. More power to them I guess... They'll make lots of money and maybe bring mor attention to a great time of the automobile. It just really sucks for the little guys who finally had a place to go run their cars. But that's the way it is I guess. We're aloud to be bitter about it. It's not crying... It's just great disappointment. :(

26. ELD

ELD

I stated all opinions welcome. Every comment good or bad is up on the Facebook page for vigorous discussion even the ones most foul. Past and present Hamb official threads are teaming with the good the bad and ugly. Ha, I feel like I must have used double spacing for all that was read between the lines of previous post. I didn't call anyone out, simple statement if you can come up with and organize an event do it, more cool events are better, If pros and cons have a voice why not cheerleaders?
    Who should bare the bulk of the costs without sponsors? Racers, spectators, organizers? I wonder what cost benefit could Harley have, I don't know but I'd think their nostalgia budget is fairly small. And there has to be beer there, right? For the sake of argument well call Pabst beer.
    As for Cali, from before the first one took place or Bobby was involved it was designed to be a traveling show, capable of going anywhere, anytime a venue was willing. I understand everyone's point, but somethings just seem to be a bit unfounded. Especially this idea that they're in it for the money,selling out. They're doing what they love, if what they love becomes popular it can't stay secret and if they start making money are you going to begrudge them that? This is America, capitalism reins supreme.
    As for Japan there is already an imitation of it there.
    Glad you got your room @Boon BA if you want me to leave your thread I'll oblige. Nevermind I'll just go ahead and unsubscribe.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  27. Kenny P

Kenny P

The question was love it or hate it?
    I'm going with hate it.
    I do understand why, but the whole ghost town feel and just hot rods and bikes rolling around all night was kinda the neatest part of the whole experience.
    Oh well

tikiwagon13 and legion like this.
  28. legion

legion

Seems like a great spot for a word from our sponser... Lol

WiredSpider and Tedders like this.
  29. Tedders

Tedders

30. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

if it is a traveling show, ormond beach fl is a great place. the local antique club had beach races for many years thanksgiving weekend, about the same rules you have,i hvent been for a few years. loads of motels. beach packs like pavement, many speed records were set there early 1900's.