Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '36 chevy hot rod truck build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 2345.coupe, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Great progress so far, definitely following this one!

2. Nice work hanging the doors. Looking forward to your build.

3. Yeah, Gary's father watched his money plus he knew what he was doing.....

thanks ....

thanks, it could have been "fancier" but I'm happy with how it turned out. It's real solid.

thanks man, I'm having fun

yeah, I'm looking forward to driving her. I'm really excited about this build.

4. Well, I finally figured out what grille dog house I have and I got my new correct grille insert. It's a '36 chevy car. I just temporally shoved it in the shell and propped her up on the rod. I like it.
    Also my buddy is stating to put the 327 back together....new crank bearings , tolerances are real good. Were the first ones to crack the motor apart, so I'm real happy about that.
    The door patch came out pretty good. I'm getting better, still far from some of you guys on the HAMB that can put a patch in and make it look like one piece of metal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  5. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Nice project, I have a 38 and had to replace the bottom like you did on the driver side,who ever replaced it before me used hot rolled sheet metal

6. thanks Blade......
    well, I've been working on the doors......lots of grinding, shrinking, and hammer and dolly work.Finally got the drivers door pretty close to where I'm satisfied. The passengers door was in worse shape. There were several "rust through" holes in the center of the door skin where the window /door skin brace was. Decided to try and weld the holes in instead of trying to patch panel them. It needs more work but is headed in the right direction.
    Also, my buddy installed the new crank bearings,rings,pistons, cam,lifters,timing chain, to the 327 motor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

I used that POR13 for added protection

8. I cheated blade, I used Rust- o- loom......
    well, I tried my hand at chopping the upper section of the drivers door.....almost looks like I know what I'm doing. still needs a lot of work but I'm headed in the right direction.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff, swade41 and Jet96 like this.
  9. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Looks great to me , hey Rustoleum should be good better then bare metal

10. well, I got the door top pieces welded in and ground down. Next, I'll lead them up and blend them in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  11. 64_Vette

64_Vette
    from alabama

2345.coupe - thanks for the pics of your build. I am right there with you on my chevy truck.
    tb33anda3rd stated on post #59 about the garnish trim. Thought I would include a couple of photos
    of that piece on my door. Second attempt to post photos. Hope they turn out OK.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. thanks vette man.......

13. well, I'm leading the seems of my door top........coming out good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. well, got the top of the door leaded up,filed and sanded. Also my buddy worked on the heads, power washed them, removed spring and valves. He tuned up the valves and were almost ready to lap them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff and TFoch like this.
  15. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hey Coupe

Your cool 37' truck would have made a neat tow rig for my 37' gasser back in the day !!!

Also your work is very nice indeed, looking forward to seeing how it comes out when all done

DND

16. thanks D.N.D., that would be real kool to tow the gasser.
    I'm really having fun with this build. I've had some experience on prier build with most of the fundamental "tasks" I have to complete. This build has new tasks I've never experienced . I enjoy challenges and this old girl has them.
    I also am looking forward to she how she comes out when shes ready to roll..

17. well, I'm working on the passenger door top. Coming pretty good. Just needs a little more welding, grinding and then leading.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Henry Bennett

Henry Bennett

Cool project,not a Ford. Ha Ha.

19. 2 shea.....Henry....
    well, I finally got the passenger door top all leaded up to my satisfaction and had some time to mock up a column drop.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff and tb33anda3rd like this.
  20. Nice work 2345! Doors and column drop look great.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  21. thanks man..........I'm starting to get really excited about this build.

22. The door work looks great, nice use of the lead.

23. thanks swade......you can cover a lot of irregularities with lead, no drying time or curing required like bondo. Just file and buff, plus its strong and can stand lots of stress.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  24. well, I did a little sanding....... getting ready for zinc phosphate bath then epoxy primer.......
    I hate to put color on her, I think it looks great bare ass
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    kiwijeff, TFoch and tb33anda3rd like this.
  25. "I hate to put color on her, I think it looks great bare ass"

Just spray it with a hose and call it patina. ;)

26. well, I did some patch panel work today. I used a heavy gauge steel so it was a challenge to roll but I got her. It's not perfect but it will work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. that bead is not supposed to run all the way to the front. it only extends about 2" and is cut off at an angle to follow the fender. i can post a photo if you like.

28. Lilred36

Lilred36

If attempting to emulate a '36 cab the bead will run the length. If he's not running fenders it will look more finished with the complete beads.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  29. yes and yes.
    i "restored" a '37 truck and did the full bead because it was so rotted i did not have anything to go by.i did not know. i just thought if he or someone else, wanted it to look original they might like to know how it is supposed to look.

30. sure post a pic
    yeah, I'm not running fenders........and I like the way it looks.....more finished......

Lilred36 likes this.