Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage TROG DateMove. Love it or Hate it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boon BA, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Boon BA

Boon BA

Just saw TROG dates of June 4 and 5th. I got mixed feelings. But I booked my room anyway before some family of four takes it for a day on the beach. There is going to be a lot of midnight oil burner to get cars done by June this year.

2. I was planning for Oct for my build, so I just lost the whole summer to get it finished, guess I better get my ass to work and book a room this week. Car finished or not i'll be there.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

no matter what, good to book a room now. can always change later.

4. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Never been but want to go. Where do people stay?

wheeldog57 likes this.

5. I have some real mixed feelings about this.

6. My concern is people showing up with their family's for a weekend of sand & surf,not racing.

Could they possibly cause problems with getting in the way of racing, HRP

7. I fear that the Oilers may have allowed success to go to their heads. Hope that's not the case.

8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I have no idea if I'll be able to go as a spectator this year let alone even get my car done enough* to submit by the cutoff, which is, what, May or April now?

(*which is due to my own shortcomings and drains on my time really, I'm not complaining, just being realistic)

9. Shit. I didn't even think about the submission or people actually going for the beach. This kinda sucks.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Yeah, I'd hazard a guess that this year'll have to involve a few more past runners and cars that didn't make the cutoff last year rather than fresh cars built specifically for this year's race.

11. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Anybody know what Wildwood in June is like? I've heard that in the summer it is a zoo, if that is the case I'm not sure I want to deal with crowds of people getting in the way on the beach, not to mention the hassle of crowds of people all over my car, whichever one I decide to bring. This is going to be a tough decision, most of the motels make you pay one night up front non-refundable. I'm glad I've gone the past few years.

• Ive heard it is crazy too. but when it starts getting crazy I don't know. the water should still be pretty dam cold then. I know it is VA and NC in early june so it may not be that bad. or it could be a total shit show.

12. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

No mention of the West Coast?
    So now I have to add a TROG vehicle to the collection.
    At least it is a short drive as compared to Jersey

13. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I just got this from their site:

Submissions are due by April 5th for New Jersey and August 1st for California. Only completed race cars and bike should apply. We will not approve incomplete projects. We must see your machine ready to race in order to review your submission.
    To enter, please email a detailed description of your machine with pictures to [email protected]

I think there may be a lot of mock up photos being submitted to meet the deadline on this one.

14. 56shoebox

56shoebox

The water is still in the 50s. June 4th is after Memorial Day weekend so it is considered "in season" and the weekend has just gotten even more expensive than it was last year.
    Kids are still in school so family crowds should not be a problem, but it will still be a lot more crowded than it is in October.

motoandy and Speedy Canuck like this.
  15. Check this out on Hemmings. The field is being reduced from 150 entries to 100 and the possibility of 50 invite only race slots. if that is the case that only leaves 50 slots for us regular guys and that will fill up quick I'm sure. combine that with the coverage that it just got on Chasing classic Cars and I think its going to be on Americarna too, those slots are going to go away real quick.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2016/01/07/the-race-of-gentlemen-moves/

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yep, "in season" starts with Memorial Day. Crowded, probably more restrictions (practical as well as legal) on unmuffled rods lurching around, lots of beachgoers with NO comprehension of what it's all about, much higher housing costs, parking meters enforced, etc.
    For us...we own a big beach apartment down there. Kicker is that it rents out for several thousand per week during the season, so if we use it ourselves during school vacation time we lose a big chunk of money needed to keep the cost of the apartment under control!
    I think this may be a MAJOR damper on the activities surrounding the race, and it will come down more to just trailering the cars to a tightly fenced off beach area. And anyone not familiar with season prices is going to have a na$ty surprise or two. And supper at that restaurant you enjoyed last fall is going to involve standing in line for two hours this time...
    The reason Wildwood is so accomodating in the fall is simply that all the beach people left on Labor Day, and the locals are pretty much unemployed in their empty motels and restaurants. In summer, making the beachgoers happy is paramount and the economy is running full blast without any need for the well-heeled hoodlums of TROG.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    Tedders, lothiandon1940 and 56shoebox like this.
  17. I cant see Night of the Troglodytes being as wild as it has been in the past either, if its in season. people will show up and do the same that they have done in the past and end up in the joint for partying in the streets. Prices going up and the Man will be watching all us hoodlums with loud cars much harder.....

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  18. Boon BA

Boon BA

The traditional spots are booking already. I just got the last room at the Landmark... Sorry guys. Price wasn't too crazy but more than October.

Going as a spectator this year. The 26 roadster will have to wait another year or two.

19. I find it surprising that some of ya'll are bitching. Tons of feedback from people wanting a west coast trog and now its here and all people can do it complain..

Wildwood doesn't start popping off till about july....after the kids are out of school. Early June will be fine.

Also the decision to move the east coast race was made so it doesn't align with hurricane season and get rescheduled like last year.

gas pumper and 60'coupe like this.
  20. For my work, May - September are my busiest months. I doubt I'll take the time off in June to head down. I had to miss 2015, and had mixed feelings when I saw the coverage. Too many bikes and cars, too much advertising.
    Can't blame the guys though, it's business as much as it is passion.

Tedders likes this.
  21. WOW!! I might have to get off my ass and get my T put together

22. Im not bitching about it, really I just wish I had more time to get my car built. But if I don't get it done in time then it will wait till 2017. I totally get the moving it cause of the hurricane and weather issues. I think I was being a bit lazy thinking I had all this time to get my coupe together, guess ill have to get my ass in gear!!

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I looked online for our apartment. Before June 4, they don't even show a price for it...ain't no customers. June 4 kicks off at $3,000 total per week! Maybe you could rent it, and sublet the couch back to us?? They have nailed the beginning of the season with their date change.

24. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Just google Wildwood,NJ motels-lots to choose from. I have zero chance of getting my car together for April 5th

25. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Thanks for posting this link. The changes they made, make a lot more sense after reading everything that has been going on in the background. I don't blame them for moving it out of hurricane season either after battling with it every year. The Cali event looks like it should be a good time as well.

26. Being there last Oct was awesome. But I think they may have been a bit overwhelmed. The changes they have made sound like it will def streamline things and make the racing go smoother. I heard that guys were getting frustrated in tge pits that they didn't get to run as much. But that kinda goes with the territory. The bigger an event gets the more people are involved and so on and so on. Its like racing at your local track on a Fri night and then going to a national event. More people racing equals more waiting. I just hope I can get a room. They are filling up fast I'm sure.

27. Pismo beach looks pretty hoity toity, I wonder how they are going to like all those hot rod / biker hoodlums driving all over their town and beach? ;)

28. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That June 4th and 5th is the same weekend as the street rod nationals in York. should be fun to see how that shakes out