Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Painted model a grille shells?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The Brown Sound, Jan 7, 2016.

1. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

Anyone ever seen a car running an A grille shell, but painted? Would like some photos if anyone has any.

2. I have seen several that way. In fact I just googled "model A hot rod" and grabbed these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

All pickups and trucks had painted shells from the factory.

Attached Files:

Hotrodmyk and X38 like this.
  4. Phil1934

Phil1934

Buttera's [​IMG]

dana barlow likes this.

5. Here is the one we got with painted shell

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  6. As many as there are that look like this and the price of chrome being what it is I don't doubt that there are way more painted than plated these days. :D

[​IMG]

7. flatford39

flatford39

Those are all 28 29 shells that can be painted as the passenger cars were nickel plated and most of them have lost their plating. 30 31 shells are stainless and you are really going to have a hard time getting paint to stick. You could use a 30 31 commercial that came from the factory painted body color and was not stainless.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: Not a problem, with a 30-31 shell you just blast it then finish it as you would any other metal part. The fact that it's stainless has no bearing on anything unless it has a smooth polished finish.
    Blasted so the smooth surface is gone and no problem.

9. X2. The roadster in tge pick I posted has a stainless duece tank and the paint has been on that for almost 10 years.

10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I've got a couple original 28/29's and both have OLD paint on them, so whatever plating they had is LONG GONE. I can't call to mind a painted 30/31 shell that wasn't a Commercial or AA shell.

But if I decided I needed a shiny 28/29, I'd buy a chromed repop from Speedway over trying to find a reputable and affordable chroming service after sourcing a mint, original shell. I've got one of their bare metal shells in my pile and it's a nice piece.

11. LOL first year I was on the HAMB I had a really nice '29/9 grill shell still nickel plated sitting in a corner. One of the young guys back then needed a grill shell and heard from someone that I had one so he asked about it. He bought it for less than shipping.

I have not seen a good plated one affordable since.

On mine it really doesn't matter its got to be sectioned anyway.

patmanta likes this.
  12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

All these A's with A grills look damn bitchin!

kiwijeff, 117harv, sko_ford and 3 others like this.
  13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that your ride Beaner?

14. dana barlow likes this.
  15. Fairly common to see the 28/29 shells painted,rare to see the 30/31 stainless shells painted.

I painted my 31 Model A shell back when the mono chrome look was hot back in the early 80's. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  16. von Dyck

von Dyck

FWIW Model As never came from the factory with "grill" shells. The grill shell was introduced in the 1932 model year for Ford. The commercial shells were painted the same color as the splash pans, running boards and fenders - black!

26 T Ford RPU and verde742 like this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

The red RPU directly above looks really good like that, and I'm typically one who doesn't like Model A grilles. I like that much better than stainless.

18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I painted my 1928 shell in 1959 when I built mine to start with,it was too far gone flaky chrome plate wise to make it clean up then,so it's been paint a long time,an I just repaint the same way each time. For some years now a chrome repop can be got for only about $100 or so,but I must of got too set in my way ,to even think about ever having a chrome shell now ,kind of think it looks best paint.
    InThePark.jpg

33sporttruck and Blues4U like this.
  19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Looks great Dana, got a close up of that hood ornament? I'm on an ornament search lately, would love to see yours up close.

dana barlow likes this.
  20. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The first cap ornament was off the top first trophy my roadster ever got back in 1959 was a Victory lady with wings,it lasted fine a very long time tell 4 months ago,when some diphead must of tryed to steel it=an bent/cracked the lags. I had to replace it with the top off #7 trophy=very close to same, but just a little def style.#1 was arms out front n wings kind of straight,were #7 is arms stright up n wings with a ark. I'd love to find another just like #1,but #7 is OK. 13544_orig.jpg 001 (4).JPG

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    kiwijeff and 33sporttruck like this.
  22. Boolajosh

Boolajosh
    from Monrovia

I'm running a commercial grill shell. And I am so glad I did

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb, kiwijeff, patmanta and 2 others like this.
  23. 5w30

5w30
    from oregon

One from the past i changed to a 30 truck grill and 29 lights..
    2h713io.jpg

24. clem

clem

If running with a full hood, a painted one looks best !
    Just my opinion.

25. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

These A pickups are b-b-bitchin!

sko_ford likes this.
  26. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

Yep, you nailed it. I want to run the old stuff, but like you said re-chroming an old one is prohibitively expensive. @Boolajosh that looks great!

27. I seem to recall a picture of a copper plated model A shell. But I don't have a copy. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Funny you say that, I'm somewhat the opposite. Personally, I think painted hoods look great on fenderless/hoodless hotrods. On a hotrod with a hood and hoodsides, but no fenders, the painted shell gives the impression of a really long nose.
    Full hood, full fenders - shell painted or chromed
    No hood, no fenders - shell painted
    Full hood, no fenders - shell chromed

Nice thing about stuff like this, no wrong opinions, just varying ones. I'm sure a lot will disagree with me :)

28. That's a bummer to hear. Lots of idiots these days. If they were trying to steal it, don't know why they wouldn't just unscrew the cap and take the whole thing. Unless maybe somebody bumped against it or hit it with a bag in the parking lot.