Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HELP Am I missing a part??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dimitri89, Jan 7, 2016.

1. dimitri89

dimitri89

I cant seem to figure out what to do with the pipe that comes from the back top of the block and leads down next to the oil filter. I have the pipe...but nothing to plug it into...I believe it is supposed to go to a cleaner...which I dont seem to have, where is it supposed to go after that? I dont see anywhere for it to go.

On this picture it is listed as (pipe, and cleaner 1.762) Please help!!

Thank you! page_0049.jpg

2. That is your road draft tube. The bottom end just hangs in the breeZe And your forward motion creAtes a low pressure which sucks out your crankcAse fumes.
    You can leAve it like it is, or plumb it viA a PCV valve to your inlet manifold and burn your fumes .

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Andamo

Andamo

I believe that cleaner had some sort of mesh inside to entrain the vapors and return them to a liquid and eventually drip out from the lower pipe. One of the reasons riding a motorcycle in the old days was so ''exciting''

osut362 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. That's the way its set up on my 56 buick wagon with its 322 motor, and it does have the wire mesh inside of the draft pipe. Bruce. 002.JPG

5. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Yes you are missing the filter, but no its not a problem. like was said before, that's your road-draft tube and it is essentially just a crankcase breather that is open to the world. The filter just provides an extra sense of security that something isn't going to get into the engine via the tube, as if that was even a remote possibility. but if it gets clogged, now you don't have an adequate opening for crankcase ventilation. My '58 Chevy's draft tube has no filter, and hasn't ever had one, and is still fine with the original engine.

Andamo likes this.
  6. the filter on your chevy is under the intake.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. dimitri89

dimitri89

Awesome, thank you guys very much,

I just had the engine re machined and for some reason she is not firing, she is turning over. I thought maybe this had something to do with the vacuum system, ill run the pipe down and leave it. And the search continues for combustion ;p

8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

The low compression stick shift cars did not get the cleaner, or yours is just missing.
    I eliminated the road draft tube and installed a pcv valve.
    PM me if you would like me to explain how to do it.
    KK