Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tired of homogenized hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onekoolkat1950, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Not sure if it's been shown here, but not too many have done a channelled 27 with fenders.

Attached Files:

2. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Nice to see so many examples of individual thinking and creativity. Thanks for starting this Ray. Howard.

Stogy and onekoolkat1950 like this.
  3. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Post pics of your car Howard. It belongs in this group. One of my all time favorite 28 roadsters. Hope to see you out and about this spring.

Stogy likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some more wonderful stuff...

4.jpg

3664164_1425307701193_9d806e38_m.jpg

32079414-770-0@2X.jpg

32079417-770-0@2X.jpg

Muroc-1.jpg

tumblr_leg73zbHtR1qdcd2wo1_500.jpg

Track_T_rdstr.jpg

001.jpg

JD_015AA001.jpg

1349707-450-337.jpg

ce142f50c422b2aa8c376bbed8db0f57.jpg

Credits to owners & photographers

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    OLLIN, jimmy six, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  5. cretin

cretin

I definitely understand getting tired of seeing the same stuff all the time, however, there is a reason we see some things all the time, which I also understand. An example of one of these things being the '32 grill shell. The reason you see so many is because there is nothing that looks better, it's perfect. Sure, there are things that look just as good, but that's the limit. Nothing looks better. So then it becomes the norm, it becomes the grill all other are judged against. Some people don't have the skill or vision it may take to equal that look, so you go with the sure thing.

I'm glad that people try to do something different, because that's what custom cars are all about. Many of us wouldn't be interested if it was all the same, that's the whole point. However, even though there are some great examples of cool cars that are different on this thread, you also have to look no further then this thread to see that different doesn't automatically mean cool or better.

The design of these cars are timeless. Any modification we make to them should accentuate that, not take away from it.

thirtytwo, slv63, Squablow and 2 others like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes Henry and so many of the other car empires did elegant things with steel. As you say it is timeless, beautiful and not dis-respected. So were so many others. So this is a celebration of that and more. So much classic stuff to glean from. This is really an interesting topic as there was so much to see. I am very discerning when choosing...there is so much and so many of these rides I've never seen before. It is an eye opener. Hey a fellow on another thread posted a project car he didn't complete. I am so glad he posted it. That is what this sites all about...all things traditional. It really was a beautiful era of style all around.

Factory extreme inspiration elegante Hotrod/Custom...think of the inspiration to dream, create on a complete range of iron. I think Edsel gleaned from perhaps the hotrod crowds ideas and of course vice versa. But these guys were masters at the craft.

54cfdb19daa2b_-_pebble-beach-10-0811-xln-77913878.jpg

Edsel_Ford_Sportscar.jpg
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-edsel-fords-1934-model-40-special-speedster/

This car below almost has the grille top proud like the deuce with the 37 grille.
    988893_10203954660207064_6886338793661063778_n.jpg

10924810_10153025251788979_353135179650958101_n.jpg

Credits to the owners and photographers.​

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    ratrodrodder, Jet96, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Is this the original Ford build 32 boat tail? or a very nifty replica?

Attached Files:

Stogy, ct1932ford and onekoolkat1950 like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That is a thing of beauty, and there are a lot of this that just yells hot rod! But also beautiful features that set the standard for Things to come.

Stogy and brad2v like this.
  10. dieselbronco

dieselbronco
    from jamesburg

Here a few of mine I try to be different and correct at the same time
    831 cowl less model t track nose
    117 mid engine flathead model t
    And the 216 t frame aluminum body nitro flathead

Attached Files:

OLLIN, Jet96, cactus1 and 6 others like this.
  11. A good friend of mine owns/restored it. I was down Tennessee a few months back and had a chance to see it up close. It is very cool. Simple yet loaded with style.

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  12. D-Ozzie

D-Ozzie

I love this thread. I think it embodies the spirit of "hot rodding". Homogenized hot rods are boring, but they are a sign that the hobby is healthy. Let me explain.

If you are a traditional purist, there is no question there is nothing better than a car built with era-correct parts, in a style that mimics a historical era. No new metal. To take this to the extreme, it would be made using era-correct methods (rivets vs tig welds). The survivor cars that were built in the era are historical treasures. New builds in this style are works of art that (should) give any true enthusiast chills (whether or not you are a traditionalist), given the energy and resources that it takes to compile the original parts needed for such a build.

Similarly, customs (and I'll include street rods -- new and old -- in this category) require massive energy and resources. The Platonic Ideal is a custom car that is a creatively original idea executed by hand-fabricating the custom elements of the build. Cars like Foose's Impression Ridler winner this year are a good example of this ideal -- completely hand fabricated body, chassis, everything. It is a rolling work of art that demonstrates an elite level of creativity and craftsmanship. NOTHING on that car came from a catalog (except maybe fasteners - thank you Fastenal).

Builds like this are aspirational (and inspirational), but unfortunately most of us do not have the time or resources to commit entirely to this endeavor. For the traditionalists, we don't all have access to rare original parts. Many of us don't have access - even - to original bodies of our desired project. For the customizers, many of us do not have the skills to execute our creative vision or the time to gain those skills. For these reasons, most of us turn to the catalogs to make up the difference to some degree. The fact that SO MANY companies are out there making early ford parts, or repop 2x4 intakes for Chevy I-6 , or Mustang II front ends, or 4-link kits, or T5 adapters for Buick Nailheads, or weld-in SBC mounts, or whatever shortcut is the flavor-of-the-day, means that there are A BOATLOAD of people building cars in their garages. We may not all agree about the style of the build that is happening in our neighbor's garage (...did he say Mustang II front end??!!), but the fact that so many people are into it is pretty darn cool.

The homogenization happens because all of the catalogs are selling parts for the same style build. This is a supply/demand issue. Everyone knows the icons (Milner coupe, McMullen roadster, California Kid, Eliminator, etc etc). If someone is new to the hobby, there is a good chance it is because they saw one of these cars (or some car that was influenced by these cars). When they dream about their first build, these icons are floating around there somewhere. When they discover that original parts are hard to come by and they lack the skills to craft the parts they need out of whole cloth, they turn to others who DO have the skill to craft the parts for them. If there is enough demand, this "crafting" becomes "manufacturing", and the catalogs fill in the missing pieces (literally).

This person might say, "I'd like to have an original Auburn dash", but they lack the budget to buy an original piece, and they lack the skill to craft it. So, they open up the Speedway catalog and say "machine turned straight five, it is!!". Maybe buying the straight 5 instead of the original Auburn piece allowed them to use an early Hemi instead of a small block Chevy. Most of us make compromises like this in our builds. We can all appreciate the no-compromises, over-the-top, completely original builds, but if these were the only builds, many of us could not afford (in time or $) to be in this game at all.

I say, the more the merrier. We should all aspire to non-homogenization, but we should acknowledge that we all influence each other. Those whose ideas have the most influence end up in the catalogs to be used by the next person who thinks it is the coolest thing they've ever seen, and this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Rant over. Thank you for your time. If you made it to the bottom, you deserve a cookie. Go on. Go get a cookie.

13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Is your friend a HAMBer? Or not yet?
    He would be treated as royalty, at the very least from me!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    Stogy likes this.
  14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Despite you call this a rant, you migth be on to something. There are a lot of good paragraphs in your post. And I especially agree that people follow time/trend/form.

I most confess there is very few builds there are low buck builds, using what they got and change the plan as they go, towards what they want with this.
    Very few buys an original car and go slow from there, while driving it to work and save up to the mods they dream of.
    And most people have a shop and wants it to look like it was build at those fancy shop with a 5 feet neon sign and pants that hangs low.

People can build a Coupe today, with chop and channeling it all the way down. Or almost every one, but I madly, truly, deaply wishes that this thread offers that people think out of the box and remember to have fun. Keep the summer of 54 alive. Or what year you go for.

And era perfect hot rod shop is a back lot/drive way or a out house. Maybe even behind you parents house.
    And a era perfect custom shop is a chicken coop. Think Gene Winfields shop.

Will you ship cookies overseas, or for the sake of brave modern world email me and recipe and leave the work to me, lol :cool:;)

Stogy and D-Ozzie like this.
  15. onotagin

onotagin
    from Colorado

Sitting comfortably amongst the rest! Totally original body on new chassis!

Attached Files:

• best.jpg
      best.jpg
      File size:
      226.3 KB
      Views:
  16. 117harv

117harv

Homogenized hot rods are boring??

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Yes and no.
    If you got 5 very similar looking, unchanneled 32 roadsters side by side, with filled/peaked grill shell, no hood, piano black with red wheels, red and white tuck'n'roll, flathead and 39 with a Torque Tube and hydraulic brakes with red wired wheel, life just gets to borring, and to many cars like that makes me a little bored.

But there is always exceptions to the rules.
    But if I saw one like this, build today on the HAMB, I would cream my pants up so fast.

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against 32 roadster, flathead and red wire wheels.

Attached Files:

Stogy and Jet96 like this.
  18. 35cab

35cab

Stogy,
    Would love to know more of the story on that 36 roadster, sectioned ? channeled ? Who is the lucky owner?
    Thanks for posting. 32079414-770-0@2X.jpg

OLLIN, volvobrynk and Stogy like this.
  19. verde742

verde742

Please DO NOT CALL IT A '40 Ford, it is a '39 with a Forty deluxe front end. That don't make it a Forty.

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

35cab I will see if I can post the link just sourced it based on as you see...serious subtle mods seamingly quite some time ago.

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Robert not sure of internals just thought it fit the thread and it is done well and period. Looks like fun...

volvobrynk and Robert J. Palmer like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guy's/Gals and to myself :confused: great thread just make sure to not repost same pics as we don't want to homogonize the pics of the other ones. Different angles okay, same shots not. Thanks back to fun and thanks to all...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  23. D-Ozzie

D-Ozzie

^^^ This is what I meant when I said homogenized hot rods are boring. It doesn't make those cars bad -- not in the least. It detracts from the excitement of seeing one, when there are three others in the same style sitting in the same row on the lawn. I'd drive an exact replica of the McMullen car every day of the week if I had it, even if my neighbor had one, too.

24. 117harv

117harv

Who cares if you're excited, it's not your car. I'm sure the owner is excited and digs HIS ride.

lurker mick likes this.
  25. verde742

verde742

Stop... you can easily change tailites, 39 windshield in a '40 a bit tuffer, the windshield with stainless around it means it flips out, and the windshield wiper at the top. is the give away, after you make a '39 windshield fit a '40 body, Give me a call... It don't happen easy..
    Looks like '40 doors and dash, still not a '40..
    by the way, I don't have a dog in this race, but I KNOW '39's and '40's

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  26. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12509889_10100567987142650_8207014859632448488_n.jpg
    This is my thinking on the subject as well. That's why I've been working on offering a traditionally styled gauge panel that is still different from everything else you see out there. I feel traditionally styled parts are something that can be embraced for the sake of having something different, yet still traditional in appearance and quality. Not to mention, they're being made in the good ol' U.S. of A.! Hopefully you'll agree!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This was done in the late 40's by a metalman here in Portland, Tom Story. 29 roadster Tom Story grille.jpg

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

D-Ozzie and volvobrynk like this.
  29. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

@Stogy thats a piece of art. And I like it very much!
    Deserves a fresh coat of paint and be preserved for the after time!!!!

You are in a chearfull mode today. :confused:

tb33anda3rd and Stogy like this.