Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is there any 25 and under guys building cool hot rods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Evel, Nov 19, 2015.

1. I built this crappy little car when I was 19/20. I just turned 22 and I'm in the process of making it a nice car. I hope to have it done and running again by springtime. [​IMG]

2. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

I was 14 when I got my first car and worked on it on may summer nights paying for parts with my $1.65 per hour minimum wage job. That was 1972, I'm no longer under 25. I wish this disease on any man or woman who needs to keep something working in their hands and minds. It builds strong character. There is nothing more pitiful than a grown man that is befuddled by a simple mechanical device but that can only explain the difference between compound interest and its' effect on the price of tea in China.

LiveActionMotorsports and Gammz like this.
  3. GBRG07

GBRG07

I had a garage sale and a young guy came along bought some tools and asked if he could look at the Coupe. We had a nice long talk about ModelA's and he says he is building one.
    Any spare parts he asks. Sold him original headlights,door handles/latch's,taillights ,brackets for rumble seat.
    He was mid 20's.

4. That sounds like me....18 years ago!!!!

5. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Build thread on this beauty?

LiveActionMotorsports likes this.
  6. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

NO, and more on that later..............but:

She knows more about cars than i did at 14. She probably still does:(

wheeldog57 and dana barlow like this.
  7. Flashback58

Flashback58
    from Tucson Az.

I'm 24 currently, however Ive been drag racing since I was 8 years old (jr dragster league in the NHRA), pulled my first car (1961 vw bug) out of a field when I was 14, by the time I was 18 the car was running mid 13 second passes with a stock sized engine.
    [​IMG]

Moved onto early dragsters as well in that time, under current restoration is a fuel car that ran here in Calgary in 1967/68 then got sold to my best friends dad in 1969 and was modified to run c/gas with an injected small block chevy (we are also doing a recreation of that car to give back to him!) Also in the stable is a 1958 original Chassis Research Dragster, powered by a .125 over 51 merc flatty, that I built for the car with all traditional parts when I was 17! I was blessed by being the first person to take that car onto a track since the chassis was built in '58 as it hadn't ever been final assembled to race (NOS if you will). The current competition car I'm building to run Nostalgia Eliminator, it is a 160 inch front motor car replicating a don long back half of the original "Royal Canadian" dragster, with parts from the first second and third renditions of the same car. Its A blown hemi, no transmission just a clutch and a 8.75" Chrysler rear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also added in fairly recently, are my early fords, although none are finished as of yet, they include a 1926 Canadian model t roadster, built all pre-war style with a 1939 military trainer 221" Canadian flat head and retaining the early for mechanical brakes. the newest part that I haven't built myself (not including restoration grade reproductions) is 1941! Tracking down the parts up this way has been the majority of the 3 year long project.
    [​IMG]
    Waiting in the wings are a 1960's inspired y-block powered model a and a 1928 Canadian Briggs bodied leatherback fordor sedan, touted to be the first Canadian production Briggs. Serial number and date stampings on the body pre-date the fire at the Briggs body plant in early 1928.
    [​IMG]

I also just recently finished up a 1928 model a sedan for a family friend, he's had some medical complications so he was un-able to finish the car on his own and was sure that he wouldn't be able to drive it when it was finished. Well I'm happy to report he has a very heavy foot and a giant grin when he drives! Must be the original S.Co.T. supercharged flat head!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can tell, I've been bitten pretty bad by the hot rod bug! And I find a great sense of accomplishment in being referred to as "the youngest old guy" by the majority of my friends (who most of which are at very least double my age)!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  8. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

This is so awesome.. And very refreshing!! You young guns rule keep pushing the boundaries and keep this alive for us!

9. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I'm impressed! I think the future is in good hands! Most of you guys have more skills then I have now, with 34 more years of experience, keep up the good work. As time marches on, you guys will infect other guys & gals your age with the hot rod illness. They will see you doing it, and as they acquire a little money, they will seek you to help them out.

I suspect a lot of the guys here on the HAMB didn't get started in their hot rod affliction until they were in their 30s or later. Gene

10. zacattack

zacattack

Started building my 27t when I was 14. Now 21 and almost done. 1453185235398.jpg

Doctorterry, BenLeBlanc and patmanta like this.
  11. I started building my 1952 Dodge B3b truck around the age of 23 (im 27 now). It has some non-HAMB friendly stuff (Cummins 4bt w/ Ranger OD and 4 speed trans ). It's not done yet cause i got side tracked with my '39 Plymouth coupe i bought in July of 2014. Once that's done it's back to the truck. I'm also in the process of learning metal shaping from a true master, Wray Schelin. I do agree that it seems like the younger people aren't as into this stuff anymore. Im trying to do my part to keep it alive!

-Chris

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. Fomocokid

Fomocokid
    from Rapid City

Tman another thing you would've noticed if you took the time to read is that Tim said a '35 3-window. You being the expert on all things auto related should realize that Jamie was building a '35 5-window not a 3-window. And on a further note Jamie doesn't even own that car anymore, my dad does. So if there was a thread on that car it would also be by me.

6inarow likes this.
  13. cory27t

cory27t
    from US

I'm 25 and here's my 27 roadster I'm working on. I'm hoping to have it finished up here in the next couple of months. It's got a 332 nailhead in it with a 9" reared. Evel's Live Wire coupe is the car that got me hooked on traditional hot rods. From the first time I saw that car, I was in love. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453673038.903742.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453673082.163873.jpg

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Digging your car mang!!!!! Needs a T shell on her tho.

15. cory27t

cory27t
    from US

You know, I had thought about it but I just love the 30-31 A shells. I definitely wanted to stay away from a 32 she'll. Those are way overused.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  16. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

[​IMG][​IMG]

I have a 62 Biscayne that's waiting on paint, I have a 62 chevy II for a gasser build, and my dad and grandpa and I are building this 34 sedan

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  17. Hi Ben,

I spent some time watching your videos yesterday before I saw this thread. I jumped from early to late and ended up going through more videos trying to figure out how the banger became a nice looking flathead! I'm struggling with the 4 vs 8 question myself at the moment...

The stuff I quoted - I think your perception is a bit off. I've been working in the auto industry pretty much for the past 25+ years. My degree is in aerospace engineering but my emphasis within the degree is propulsion, specifically internal combustion engines. That combination was not at all marketable back when I got out of school, but it was what I was interested in so what are ya gonna do? Anyway, I ended up getting a job with an exhaust supplier to the OEMs. For a lot of years I designed exhaust systems for various manufacturers and worked with them on a daily basis.

What I found was, there are a LOT of people working at car companies that don't know jack about cars. I had a manager at one company who didn't understand why an exhaust manifold for a V6 only had three ports. I had an engineer tell me to pull the ECU and send it back, not understanding that if I did that, I couldn't drive the car anymore. We discussed that one, I couldn't convince him that wasn't a great idea... the list goes on.

Point being, ANY hands-on experience with cars is beneficial to finding a job in the industry. Right now most companies are having a hard time finding engineers, though the catch is they all want experienced engineers. The newbies who do find jobs often have zero experience with cars. Don't think what you're doing isn't helping you on finding a job in the industry.

THAT said... We get a lot of co-ops where I work and I'll often ask them, do you REALLY want to work in this industry? But that's a different thread...

As for this thread - hobby-wise I came back to cars after spending years in the world of bikes. On bike forums I saw a lot of younger guys getting involved, the majority of whom hadn't a CLUE when it came to mechanical stuff. And, most of whom had zero interest in processes or history or for that matter function vs form.

It's the same thing around here I guess. Substitute "cafe racer" for "Gasser" and you can post the same threads on bike and car forums...

I'm not around many 20 somethings these days but the few I come in contact with dont' seem to have any interest in things mechanical. A few years back I had a kid who had shown interest in cars and engines at my house. He found out I had an engine apart in the basement and wanted to see it. So we went downstairs, he glanced at all the bits sitting on the bench, and had zero interest in how it went together or how it all worked. Seriously, I'll bet he was "done" in maybe 30 seconds. My inner voice was saying "That's a freakin roundcase Ducati you maroon, the first V-twin they put into production!" but hey, if there's no spark there's no spark, so I showed him a few bikes and back upstairs we went. He never expressed interest in cars or engines to me again. I mean I have to admit I was a bit dissappointed the first time I saw the internals of an engine (Really? That's it? but, it's so... simple!) but still.

But now I'm rambling, and I really just wanted to comment to Ben that ANY interest in things mechanical helps when trying to find an engineering job. Don't think you're being handicapped because you're playing around with old stuff. The average engineering student (from what I can tell) wouldn't know a fuel injector from a fuel filter. One last story. Back in the '80s I was in a senior level engine theory class. Junior and senior engineering students here, even some grad students, and the professor was talking about camshafts and lobes, etc. Then he stopped mid sentence and asked "How many people here have never seen what a camshaft looks like?" A large percentage of the class raised their hands. I was amazed, and it changed my perspective on what I was dealing with. It had never even occurred to me that people at this level had never had their hands inside an engine. (Which brings up another subject about education, but again, a different thread)

You're doing better than the average bear, trust me.