Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs headlights 1934

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curler, Jan 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. curler

curler

I have 9" bucket headlights with turn signals. Headlight bulb is H4 and signals 1157. The problem seems to be the halogen bulb is too far ahead of the reflector and light is not directed outwards. I have heard of aftermarket replacement headlights c/w led turn signals, but have been searching and can only find 7" want to keep same buckets because the 1934 ford truck 9" look a lot better. Hope someone can help......

2. turn the screw on the back of the headlight in. that will pull the bulb back for adjustment.

3. Bob Drake sells a good reflector for '34 commercial lights. I drilled a hole in mine for the turn signal.

4. curler

curler

I have the Bob Drake replacement lens c/w the signal light and the lights only show about 50 feet ahead. I am also thinking the 9" lens might be affecting the light even though I bought new ones.
    Thanks

5. curler

curler

6. curler

curler

I have tried that and it did not make a great deal of difference. Still only see about 50 feet ahead.
    thanks

7. The Drake reflector that I' m suggesting does not come with the turn signal installed. Look at part #40-13027-QK-12. Turn signal kit is #B-13026-TS12.

The reflectors that you have are the reproduction stock units. Even with halogen bulbs, they were made for cars that never went down the road at today's speeds.

8. Yep, you've got a 80+ year old optic design, even with a modern lamp they're still not going to perform up to modern standards. There was a reason they offered sealed-beam conversions back in the day....

9. The Drake reflector I suggested has a different shape from original and seems to have better optics than the originals.

10. This one is far superior to anything manufactured in the past,works great. HRP

11. I have a question. With the new style reflector, when I drill for the turn signal lights, should they be at the top or bottom. Which does less damage to the headlight optics? Thanks, Phil

12. curler

curler

I will look at the Bob Drake system and hopefully it will work. I thought Dietz might have seal beams for 9" buckets. The part no. you gave, I assume is for 9" ? Thanks

13. The Drake number I listed is for the 33 - 34 commercial. I believe they are nine inch. They have several sizes in their catalog and web store.

14. curler

curler

I looked them up on Drake and they are 9", the only problem is they are not in stock right now. I can probably order for the Old Car Center w have in B.C.
    Thanks again

15. I have the Drake reflectors in my '38 Ford pickup, stock headlight buckets with '36 car lenses and rings. The Drake reflectors have a reflective coating that is far superior to the original Ford reflectors, unlike the original reflectors, they never need to be polished or resilvered, and they take a common halogen bulb that you can get at any auto parts store. I was fortunate to find the '36 lenses NOS still in the original box. My truck has brighter headlights than my '03 Toyota Avalon daily driver.

16. 38fordpickup,
    Did you install turn signals in the buckets? Top or bottom?

I'm working on '37 commercial buckets for my highboy.

17. curler

curler

18. curler

curler

Thanks, I will definitely be trying Drake 9" reflectors and will order them when they have them in stock which they don't have right now...

19. I've got the Mac's quartz halogen kit with turn signals for my speedway repro 34 headlights..it shows the signals in the top of the reflector. There may not be enough room with them at the bottom with the headlight bucket mounts down there.

20. No, I didn't put parking lights/turn signals in the buckets, If you look closely at the picture of my truck, I have some little aftermarket Arrow brand lights that mount on top of the headlight buckets for parking lights. Turn signals are the old VW backup lights with amber bulbs mounted down on the bumper brackets.

21. I should add that the Drake reflectors hold up well. The ones in my truck have been there about 20 years and are as bright as when I first installed them.

22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

pprather, I have a set already assembled from Bob Drake's, they mounted the turn signal bulb on the bottom of the reflector. .

23. curler

curler

Are they for 9" 34 buckets? How well did they work? Where did you get them? Are the turn signals LED?